Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 11:01   #1

Exclamation Storm damaged Bahamas Leopards – Warning

Currently on Yachtworld are several storm damaged Leopard’s. The claim is that they are lightly damaged and were on the hard….somewhere in the Bahamas. If they were in or around Marsh Harbor, even boats on the hard were washed away by the storm surge. Based on the descriptions, they were all demasted and the masts and booms are gone. Some of the hull stanchions were destroyed and on some the bimini’s were destroyed. Some may have been looted. The ad claims that there are 15 Leopards. This would seem to suggest charter boats.

The broker is listed as Intel Marine. An internet search of that name or the phone number yields no results. I spoke with a broker I know and he said, he is familiar with that person and said he is flipping the boats and warned me to steer clear.

If you email them or text them, they will not provide any information, instead they insist you call. All the pictures on the listings appear to be stock photos

The ads describe that some repairs have been completed. My fear is that there was hull damage and rain water has gotten into the balsa core and they may or may not have repaired this correctly or completely.
My guess is that this flipper has put some lip stick on these and has now put them up for sale for a quick profit.
Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 11:09   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Storm damaged Bahamas Leopards – Warning

On my first boat I spent some time working with a salvage company in Bahamas to pay the bills. Yes, they were probably looted (one of my jobs was sleeping aboard beached yachts with a machete ), and if you are considering buying then you must consider the difficulties in getting supplies there, most stuff will likely need to be shipped in, but there are also local salvage yards you can browse.
Old 23-05-2020, 16:44   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I saw those ads and noticed there is not one pic of the actual boat in the current condition. I reckon hurricane winds could take out a mast or perhaps some thing hitting it but it seems a capsize would be the most likely culprit. They were on the hard until 15 feet of storm surge came thru.
Old 23-05-2020, 17:05   #4

I looked at some Irma damaged boats that were in Antigua. They were looted in St Martin and then again, but more so, at the North Sound Boat yard in Antigua. They were real bastards, they just did not take items, they ripped them out with no care to the boat. They cut entire power panels out, leaving just cut wires. They cut the A/C units out. They stole all the LED lighting...just cut wires left behind. Power winches, bilge pumps, ...gone. They took their time, and left nothing of value.
Old 23-05-2020, 17:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet View Post
I looked at some Irma damaged boats that were in Antigua. They were looted in St Martin and then again, but more so, at the North Sound Boat yard in Antigua. They were real bastards, they just did not take items, they ripped them out with no care to the boat. They cut entire power panels out, leaving just cut wires. They cut the A/C units out. They stole all the LED lighting...just cut wires left behind. Power winches, bilge pumps, ...gone. They took their time, and left nothing of value.
In Bahamas they take the wires too
Old 24-05-2020, 08:45   #6

Boat: Former Privilege 48

Just goes to prove the most important part of buying a boat.

See the boat in person before you buy it.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:54   #7

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Based off the link provided on one damaged Leopard 58, these are Moorings boats, or sold through them.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 08:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
Just goes to prove the most important part of buying a boat.

See the boat in person before you buy it.
Well... Both my ships I brought without seeing them in person, as to do so meant an international flight. Although I did have extensive photos. I certainly wouldn't recommend it though. In the first case it was because the price was good, and I was young and stupid, and in the second case it was because the price was good (although in that case I only put down 10% deposit before buying)and I was confident that I could do any of the necessary work that they might have been trying to hide for me, and they had given me guarantees on various important factors, and I would have got my deposit back if they were untrue, as I brought through ebay with paypal, so had some buyer's protection.
Old 24-05-2020, 08:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
Based off the link provided on one damaged Leopard 58, these are Moorings boats, or sold through them.
Tankersteve

My take is that they just stole the video, just the like all the other stock photos
Old 24-05-2020, 09:02   #10

I was a Man of War in November and almost all cats had been flip by the storm so they were upside down. Boats that could not float were taken to Red Bay just below Treasures Cay and stored on land. Then there is a man made harbor above Treasure Cay about opposite Green Turtle where I saw about a dozen cats tied to docks, in March, did not get a close look but perhaps these were being offered for sale.
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 09:09   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpet View Post
My take is that they just stole the video, just the like all the other stock photos
As previously stated, if you are serious go look at the boats, otherwise it is all conjecture. It could be anything from a scam to the greatest catamaran deal in the world.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:08   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Most of the moorings fleet was stored in Leisure Lees canal system. They were all blown ashore, some of them blown all the way across the main highway. Most were upside down dismantled. This was back in October.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 10:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
As previously stated, if you are serious go look at the boats, otherwise it is all conjecture. It could be anything from a scam to the greatest catamaran deal in the world.
The point of my post was as a warning for others. It is possible that this broker is legit, but every check you can perform raises a red flag. The ad suggests to email them, but they reply and insist you call them. Yet their response itself lacks any info, no name, and a search on the email address yields no results. The Bahamas has been closed to entry for some time. It may open up again on the First of June...or it could be extended. Your looking at dumping ~$2k to travel to look at boats that may or may not exist and that my be completely looted hulks. Originally, the ads described "more pictures coming soon". That was removed.
Old 24-05-2020, 10:59   #14

So where is the link to the add so people can make up there own minds?

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2020, 12:43   #15

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Here ya go.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...rd-44-3672580/

Tags
Bahamas, leopard