Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2019, 06:49   #16

Re: Suggestions for next charter destination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Another thought, if you enjoyed Belize you could try a Belize to Rio Dulce Guatemala charter. This is one of my favorite charter routes to run for guests because of the dramatic contrast between Belize & Guatemala. They are different in almost every way: culturally and geologically. Spend a few days working your way S down the reef in Belize to the beautiful Sapodilla Cayes at the very southern tip of the reef, then jump to Livingston and transit the jungle frindged canyon (El Cañon) into the Rio Dulce. Ive been through the canyon hundreds of times and it still amazes me.

Moorings/Sunsail used to allow this itenirary, not sure if they still do. Belize Sailing Vacations also runs trips to/from the Rio (fully crewed only). Either way a one-way trip is best to maximize your time and not have to slog back up to Belize against prevailing wind & current.

This is great advice. One of my Belize trips (Crewed so we could go one way) started in Belize city and ended on Lake Izabal. The Rio Dulce was spectacular. You can add in some interesting side trips – go up Monkey river in Belize and visit the jungle. On the way in to Lake Izabal visit the 17th century Spanish fort San Felipe de Lara. Consider an afternoon at Finca Paraiso – hot spring waterfalls – standing in cool mountain pool under warm waterfall is cool. Hire a car or van (about 4 hours) to take you to Flores (stay in the old fishing village on the Island of Flores in Lake Peten Itza) then visit the Mayan ruins at Tikal before flying from Flores to Belize city and then home.
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 08:21   #17

Boat: Gulf 32

I would have seconded PNW for something new, but if you're looking for warm and beachy doesn't really qualify.

I would STRONGLY suggest French Polynesia except for the time frame. It fits what you're looking for (warm, beachy, pretty mellow shore life but not non existant) and the sailing can be really great... it's a step up from BVI because you're doing bigger open crossings but it's still line of sight and the charts are good and the hazards are clearly marked (once you get used to the lagoon aids to navigation, and provided you just stand off if you get caught in a sudden squall when heading into a reef pass).

But, depending on where you're leaving from, 7 days in French Polynesia might be tough. I didn't see (might have missed it) where you live, if you're on east coast this will be tough, if you happened to live in LA or something though it might be a good easy shot.

Don't know what the companies are like as options these days, but have you considered Sea of Cortez?

-- Bass
Old 14-08-2019, 08:26   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Best charter ever for us was out of Pula, Croatia. We chartered a Nautitech 46 for a week and had a wonderful experience. Great cruising area in Northern Croatia.
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 08:31   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

Good morning. I havé chartered Cats for thé l’as-tu 10 Year from BVIs to Grenada and I would suggest tour next charter out of Grenada. I would star in Grenadas Islands . Carriacou ils a gréât Sailing goinfre North. Enjoy your next d’aventure.
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 08:34   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

Sorry about the typos....my keyboard was in French! ��
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 08:56   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400

Tonga
Thailand
Greece (Ionian & Aegean)
South/West Turkey
Old 14-08-2019, 09:02   #22

Grenadines are a great next step after BVI, not as crowded, mostly line of site, easy mooring and anchorages. Abacos is flat water, line of site, but more crowded and adds the complexity of current and tides. You may also want to consider St Martin, and hop around to Anguilla and St Bart
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 09:39   #23

Have you thought about Spain´s Balearic Islands of Palma de Mallorca, Minorca and Ibiza ? Great fun sailing places and there are charter fleets based there.
Stewie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 09:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguymon View Post
To clarify a bit more, I lean towards beaches and warm weather sailing. Other Carribbean suggestions would be preferred. Looking for a relatively beginner/easy sailing experience, from moorings to conditions ect. Prefer less crowded than BVIs. I will only have 7 days on the boat. Hope that helps.
Caribbean experience but less crowded: Checkout sailing from 1 of the Windward Islands. In late Jan of this year my cousin and I did 1 week charter from Le Marin, Martinique on a Pogo 30. It was not crowded at any anchorage. I believe Le Marin is the biggest charter base in the Windwards. I am newbie also and I did not find the navigation difficult. We went as far as the northern end of Martinique and the Southern end of St Lucia. Passing between Martinique and St. Lucia is about 20 miles, so is more open(hence potentially more intense conditions), than what you find on a "staying to leeward itinerary" in the BVI. We had a lot of periods of 30 knot winds during the week and two brief periods of 40 knot winds in squalls going between Martinique and St Lucia. We saw the squalls coming so we were well reefed ahead of time.

Some will tell you that St. Lucia and St. Vincent are dangerous. I live in Guatemala, a "dangerous" 3rd world country, and have lived in Cape Town and Rio De Janerio so my threshold to become concerned about security, rightly or wrongly, is high. But with my experience travelling and living in 3rd World countries, I think I have a good sense about when and what to be concerned with and not. Always being respectful, polite and most important using common sense go a long way. I never have had a security issue in all the time I have spent in "dangerous" countries.

My favorite stop on our week charter was a luch stop at Laborie, St Lucia. It is a not touristy, fishing village. I think we were the only yacht anchored at lunch. We had lunch at Mama Rose in Laborie including fresh tuna and drank what was called "lemon juice". It had a lemon taste but better than any fruit drink ever. Not sure if it is from a unusual type of lemon or if some other fruit juice was mixed in. We picked up more fresh tuna from Laborie's fish market just off the beach after lunch.

If you want to avoid St. Lucia and St. Vincent you can sail north from Le Marin and go to Dominica and Guadeloupe. Martinique and Dominica will offer a good contrast(although I have not been to Dominica). My cousin and I are sailing one way from Le Marin to Pointe a Pitre, Guadeloupe in January so we will checkout Dominica then.

If you want to sail from an English speaking base checkout charters from Rodney Bay, St Lucia. Although I have no first hand experience another option is to charter from the southern end of St Vincent for easy access to the Grenadines on a one week charter. The coast between Young Island and Blue Lagoon is the yachting center of St. Vincent.

If you want to look into sailing in the Windward Islands further I suggest getting the guide book, " Windward Islands", By Chris Doyle. The latest edition is 2019-2020. It is the best example of a sailing guide I have ever seen. Chris Doyle gives you the full run down from all sailing aspects to going into great detail about what is onshore, who to contact for what, etc. He addresses security issues as well. His take on security on St. Vincent is similar to mine.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 09:55   #25

Tonga. 23 anchorages or more within a day sail of base. All in mostly protected waters. Different culture and interesting. Long air trip though.
Sea of Cortez out of La Paz. Fairly long sail between good anchorages (20-40 miles often) but fun. Good fishing usually.
Bahamas. Of course if you have never done the Bahamas it's the best of the E. Caribe IMHO.

All of the above are more about remote locations, the wild outdoors, than about cafes and drinks though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:44   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC375 View Post
This is great advice. One of my Belize trips (Crewed so we could go one way) started in Belize city and ended on Lake Izabal. The Rio Dulce was spectacular. You can add in some interesting side trips – go up Monkey river in Belize and visit the jungle. On the way in to Lake Izabal visit the 17th century Spanish fort San Felipe de Lara. Consider an afternoon at Finca Paraiso – hot spring waterfalls – standing in cool mountain pool under warm waterfall is cool. Hire a car or van (about 4 hours) to take you to Flores (stay in the old fishing village on the Island of Flores in Lake Peten Itza) then visit the Mayan ruins at Tikal before flying from Flores to Belize city and then home.
Yeah, its very cool charter route, the Rio is awesome and land travel around Guatemala is incredible...the most interesting country in Central America.

One other cool place to add to the Rio area is the ancient Mayan site or Quirigua. Dozens of massive stela, and other varieties of sculpture, every inch covered in Mayan glyphs and figures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirigu%C3%A1

And just over the border in Honduras is Copán, another ancient Mayan site that rivals Tikal in size and historic importance.

The Rio was my home base for about a decade and I miss it a lot. Really looking forward to returning for a visit in November. [emoji41]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stela-D-North-Face-Quirigua.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	197871  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 12:43   #27

Va Vau Tonga (moorings) was very sheltered and interesting, Society Islands (moorings) include a bit of open ocean, Fiji is mostly in the Yasawa group, some islands still remotish. North Channel of Georgian Bay ruggedly beautiful and fresh water too. Granada & Grenadine offers a lot of variety and good snorkeling
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 12:58   #28

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

We enjoyed our time around Puerto Rico and Culebra, Culebrita. Nice sailing with the passage from Puerto Rico to Culebra a longer sail. About 45-ish miles in the Atlantic.

I didn't love Vieques that much from the boat. It might be a great island inland but didn't offer us much from the boat. We did do a bio-luminescence tour in Mosquito Bay. That was an amazing experience and made Vieques worth the trip. When I visit the S.V.I.s again I will skip Viezques though.

We like more secluded spots than party spots. And don't go into marinas. I could have spent a lot more time exploring Culebra.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 13:16   #29

I loved both Greece and Croatia. They've both got great spots for newbies and advanced sailors.
I shudder to think about a flotilla charter. It seems like a special kind of hell imposed on what should be absolute heaven. Instead of getting to go where you want as the whim, weather, and your judgement dictate you follow a route already pre-decided. Instead of isolated anchorages you've guaranteed to be nose to tail with 20+ other boats anywhere you go, the flotilla absolutely takes over any small village they stop in and they're viewed as and often are very obnoxious with respect to other cruisers....basically you take a $6,000 a week exclusive experience and turn it into a package holiday. But that's just me. As a related aside, I've always found other boats more than happy to lend a hand if I need it, so even the ostensible "benefit" of a flotilla doesn't actually require you to be in one.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 13:59   #30

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We love sailing the US Virgin Islands. It is easier to get to than the BVIs, less expensive, no fishing license required, and you can spend time at our favorite island that is 70% National Park, St. John. Mix in the Spanish Virgin Islands of Culebra and Vieques and you have a lot of options. CYOA on St. Thomas is a great charter company.

Another option is the east end of Puerto Rico and the Spanish Virgin Islands. Puerto del Rey is a good charter base with lots of grocery and big box store options.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, destination