Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2024, 08:16   #1

Sunreef Performance Characteristics

Good morning all,

I'm evaluating my next boat, and I'm consdering several options - and a Sunreef 50 is on my short list. The others are more performance oriented, with the MC55 being next on the list.

Dramatically different boats, I know - but I don't plan to liveaboard, just spend 1-2 weeks on the boat several times a year.

I do plan to charter it out (with a captain) whatever I go with when I'm not on the boat, and most likely do both season on either side of the pond.

I currently have a Bali 4.1, which needless to say lacks dramatically in performance category, and I'm looking for something that I can take in slightly more agressive sea states and conditions, while at the same time having more ammenities and comfort that would appeal to the charter crowd a bit more.

I'd love to get some feedback from those in the group. As I move closer to my choice, I'll most likely be doing a charter or two on one to really get to know the boat before making that big of a commitment.
TheSailingBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 12:00   #2

Re: Sunreef Performance Characteristics

Since lead times on new builds are now going into 2027, I'm assuming you'll be purchasing from the used market. In that case I'd suggest you evaluate what's available when the time does come. Performance boats don't charter particularly well, as most time people are just looking to party and could care less about sailing. A Sunreef is going to be heavier and sail worse than your Bali.
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 15:32   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Wow 32t for a 50 footer - I don't have numbers for Bali 41 so used 45 as comparison.

Sail area/Displacement ratio Sunreef 50 = 16.1 Bali 45 = 18.5 (Higher is better)

Displacement/LWL ratio Sunreef 50 = 267 Bali 45 = 192 (Lower is better)

Would indicate that the Bali 45 would have better performance than the Sunreef
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 15:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Wow 32t for a 50 footer - I don't have numbers for Bali 41 so used 45 as comparison.

Sail area/Displacement ratio Sunreef 50 = 16.1 Bali 45 = 18.5 (Higher is better)

Displacement/LWL ratio Sunreef 50 = 267 Bali 45 = 192 (Lower is better)

Would indicate that the Bali 45 would have better performance than the Sunreef
I should also highlight... I don't need to be going superfast, just be able to take waves a little more head-on. And I'd also like to get at least some charters, enough to pay for running costs for the year would be great.
TheSailingBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 15:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSailingBeard View Post
I should also highlight... I don't need to be going superfast, just be able to take waves a little more head-on. And I'd also like to get at least some charters, enough to pay for running costs for the year would be great.

I would think the Sunreef would be a fantastic charter boat certainly superior to the Bali but you asked about performance and on that front it doesn't look so good.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

I didnT sail Sunreef 50 but I have seen someone to try to sail at about 9-10 knts of wind. He tried everything and after half an hour took down the sails and motored..Nonetheless sshe should sail at least as good as any Bali. Sunreefs have had a lot of gelcoat problems on Sunreef 60 and 80 but I don't know about 50's. They are heavy boats with low bridge deck clearance and bulky hulls. Obviously they offer plenty of space..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:02   #7

Boat: Mumby 48

32t! Dubya tee eff?! How do you even put 32t into a 50' boat? I honestly have zero idea how that's even possible? I mean, a heavy normal 50' production cat with similar accomodations is half of that.

The displacement to length ratio and every other performance metric is off the chart, literally.......in the wrong direction. Let me be clear, this is not a sail boat. You will motor it everywhere. I honestly think the Bali would sail rings around it. Now that's a statement I never thought I'd ever make.

If you actually want to sail for a change, it's an easy answer. The MC55 will be a fine sailing boat, while still having plenty of space a creature comforts.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 03:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
If you actually want to sail for a change, it's an easy answer. The MC55 will be a fine sailing boat, while still having plenty of space a creature comforts.

MC55 hiding their displacement from the official spec - maybe not as good as it sounds.

Given the OP circumstances maybe consider more mainstream FP Saba 50 (16t) or even the new Aura 51 (18t)

None will fly but would give a good compromise between charter accommodation and performance at a much reduced cost.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:02   #9

Boat: Mumby 48

Quote:
MC55 hiding their displacement from the official spec - maybe not as good as it sounds.
18.4t, so not particularly light....but light enough and with the right DNA that she should sail fairly well. But won't be a fast boat like you or I would be looking for.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 12:08   #10

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
well thats a dream many have but often not been fullfilled at all.
Sunreef has tons of production issues....starting with their big molded parts like deck lying on a parking lot for month sucking in moisture like a sponge till they get mounted and the open corners sealed with the moisture inside...
a well known surveyor to me was owner representitive in a sunreef 60 build and after 2/3 build advised the owner to suck the losses and run. He also surveyed several other 50, 60 and 70s and all where a huge long list of noGos...
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 12:41   #11

There is no comparison from the MC55 and the Sunreef. I know you said they are quite different, but the differences are massive. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I had and accepted offer and surveyed the MC50 hull #1 (MC55 predecessor). That boat had major quality issues, and actually burned nearly to the waterline 2 weeks after I surveyed it and rejected it. The quality issues all seemed to be mostly hull #1 type issues, so i would imagine much has been worked out since then, but I did notice that the peripheral items like winches and blocks etc. on later boats were not the same quality as hull #1. I cannot speak for too much more recent builds as Ive only seen pictures and read specs. Sailing wise on the MC50 I was better than a production cat like FP, Lagoon, or Leopard, but not on the level of Gunboat, Outremer, etc. I actually felt like it was a good balance of performance and comfort. There was washing machine tumble in the stern and I dont think it really lived up to the expectations. Im sure thats why they immedietly extended that boat to an MC52 which then was extended to the MC55. The flybridge driving is fantastic for day sailing, but VERY exposed, the carbon roof for the flybridge on the later boats is not my taste and puts the mainsail even higher. Also the flybridge isn't equivelent as a lounge space to any of the production type flybridges or the Sunreef flybridge.

Interestingly while I was here in Palma surveying the MC50 I met a gentlemen a few slips over in a nearly brand new Sunreef 60. Wow, this boat was a MASS! If you want to know the performance of the Sunreef look up the engine horsepower, because that is not a sailboat. Short of 20knots there no reason to even raise a sail unless you think it looks pretty. You're Bali performance will seem sporty. The owner was pretty disappointed in performance. From a quality perspective he was having an absolute nightmare of a time with Sunreef. To be totally fair though much of his issues were around the systems installed on the boat, and he was dealing with the classic issue of a the boat manufacturer pointing at the equipment and telling the owner to contact the manufacturer of the equipment. Here's the good. With all that gross tonnage comes comfort. The creature comforts on that boat were magnificant! There was hot tub on the flybridge.

If you are looking to charter the Sunreef sounds more desireable and comfortable. If you are looking to actually sail and would go McConaghy.

Im biased, but you may want to consider a Privilege.
dpignolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2024, 12:42   #12

Quote:

Given the OP circumstances maybe consider more mainstream FP Saba 50 (16t) or even the new Aura 51 (18t)

None will fly but would give a good compromise between charter accommodation and performance at a much reduced cost.
Ye sthe MC50 weighed quite a bit more than the specs. I dont remeber the weight but i think I took a picture.
dpignolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2024, 09:13   #13

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Sunreef cats are beautiful and will work well in crewed charter. I used to have a crewed charter business with a Privilege 615 so I have a bit of experience.

As far as performance goes, the Sunreefs are dogs. They’re very pretty but don’t sail well. In the BVI we’d often fly by a motor-sailing Sunreef while we were only under sail.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 22:54   #14

Quote:
Good morning all,

I'm evaluating my next boat, and I'm consdering several options - and a Sunreef 50 is on my short list. The others are more performance oriented, with the MC55 being next on the list.
I've had a Lagoon 50, a Sunreef 60 and now a Lagoon 55.

The Sunreef 60 looks very flashy, which is why some of us desire it and also why it charters very well. It looks like a luxury hotel.

Every loves to hate on Lagoon quality and I agree that in the interior feels IKEA-ish and that the boats tend to flex too much; Sunreefs have none of those issues. They are sturdy as hell and don't flex at all. But it also comes at a huge weight cost. Expect one tonne per foot.

I was very excited about getting the Sunreef 60, but ended up not enjoying it much. It's a super heavy boat and needs a lot of wind to start going. My Lagoon 50 would sail almost at wind speed in light winds with the code 0. Sunreef is more like half wind speed. And they don't point very well. Also, the rig on the Sunreef 60 is about the same size as the Lagoon 50. But the boat weighs more than twice as much.

And then there is comfort. The Sunreefs look very flashy, but they are not as comfortable and ergonomic to live on as Lagoons. The salon is crammed because of the huge galley and outdoor seating tend to be very upright. The hulls are narrow, which means that the beds are very high and you basically have to jump onto them. Same with the sunbeds in the cockpit. Visibility from the salon is poor because of the high bulwarks. Even from the front cockpit, you can't see the water to the sides when sitting.

I love my Lagoon 55. Sails well. Has all the amenities and although it doesn't look bigger than the Sunreef 60, it *feels* more spacious. And you can single-hand it easily.

The Sunreefs also consume a lot of power. My 60 would idle at 20 amps. And the systems onboard are much more complicated than on a Lagoon, so expect to be very hands-on unless you have a captain.

The Sunreefs are great boats and I love what they are doing with solar and "sustainability" if you can use that word about this kind of opulence. But just be aware of what you are getting into.

ig:sailinglula
eurobanter is offline   Reply With Quote