Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2024, 12:29   #1

Support points for haul out of an Athena

We have a 1997 Athena. We've had it hulled out at the same place for 15 years and they seem like they are very competent. This year however they seemed to have missed the mark and after a couple days the hull started to cave in a bit even though she was supported on sandbags.

Does anyone have the exact instructions on where the boat (Athena) should be supported? We are aiming for directly below the bulkheads (doorways to the forward and aft berths) on both hulls.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Selah38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 13:48   #2

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: Support points for haul out of an Athena

Gday Selah

I don't know the Athena but what you were trying to do is the rigtht way. I knock on the hull when locating the bulkheads. Then you can out a little sticker on the hull side but a good yard worker should be tapping as they are underneath, trying to find the bulkhead position exactly.

I would expect any reasonable boat to be able to be positioned under glassed in bulkheads. Just go inside and check that the cabin bulkheads you are aiming for are glassed to the hulls. There should be at least Two main strength bulkheads in every cat - one in the middle that the mast sits on and one at the rear of the cockpit. These must be tabbed onto the hulls. Some others may not be.

If the boat is caving in you must fix this ASAP. The laminate is being stressed to way over its design capabilities. It is never good to get large scale, long term deformation. On a 38 footer you can use a jack (I jack my 38 footer up and down myself when on the hard)

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 00:07   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Normally you would support main weight on the keels with additional blocks under the bow and stern to prevent rocking. Sounds like you are doing something different not using the keels. Suggest you ask Fountaine Pajot for blocking plans. The bulkhead in line with the mast would be one hard point, not sure about the aft one but as others have said it will coincide with a major transverse bulkhead.
FP move the boats in the factory and several miles to launch using transverse beams under the bridgedeck. Have a look at the fascinating videos of this for the big FPs where the boats are lifted and/or tilted while moving to clear roadside obstructions.
I and a friend slipped and launched our 2 FP Maldives by jacking under the bridgedeck on/off a trailer for over 10 years without issues
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 00:10   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

info@fountaine-pajot.com has always responded to technical requests fir me
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 06:13   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Not an expert on Athenas, but can't they sit safely on their keels like most cats? In other words, blocks under the keels with supports fore and aft to keep the boat from tipping, but the major weight gets supported by the keels.

Tags
haul out