Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2021, 13:16   #76

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Surprising results looking at Catamaran Performance Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I'll agree that sail sizes, and boat weights are often listed incorrectly. But as SMJ said, you can add sail to any boat, so any chart has to use a certain standard. That standard, of course, would have to be generally accepted numbers, which would be either the designer's numbers, or the manufacturer's numbers.

I would suggest the discrepancy between your two sail area examples might simply be that one is a Genoa, and the other a Blade, or some such. Though it says Genoa on both adverts, I find most people are lazy with nomenclature (my self included). Not only that, there may be an issue with translation, as Lagoon is French after all.

To say there's a fault in the chart, due to the fact that you have larger sails than the average Lagoon, is silly. I'm pretty sure the chart was intended to represent the average boat of each model, as sold from the factory. One simply cannot list every possibility on a chart.

If you saw someone say the displacement numbers were without engines, I'm sure they were simply trying to cover their lies, regards "optimistic" displacement numbers. Even then, I'd be very surprised if anyone would have the gumption to say their boat weighs XXX, without the engines. Engines, after all, are not generally considered "optional" equipment.

I commend you on your research, and testing on your own boat, but your results do not represent the average lagoon. Neither the sail area, nor the weight of your boat is representative of the norm, for that builder. And no matter how fast YOUR boat goes, the average lagoon is not considered a fast boat.
Horses for courses, I'd be happy with a lagoon, but I wouldn't be fast.

Cheers.
Paul.

It is an error, confirmed with Incidence, maker of sails for lagoons and many other brands. I know is hard to believe but it is true as I have measured mine and is actually 35m2 although it say in my manual 28m2.

Regarding weights, i dont want to mention brand because i am not 100 % sure any more - been 10 years - but they were selling boat with optional diesels, so you could buy it without diesels and be puristic sailor. Kind of makes sense but throws spreadsheet out of balance.

All I am saying is these numbers taken from add material directly will have these types of errors and decisions based on these numbers will not be optimal. Unfortunately, the only way to gauge the boat is to test sail it - not cheap.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 13:26   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I wasn't aware that balance made an 11 metre model. ??

It doesn't achieve double digit speeds in any wind strength so hardly a quick boat.
they make 11m, i saw adds. I dont care if it is fast but wanted to demonstrate importance of stiff boat and that one can use gennaker for upwind quite successfully if boat is stiff enough. This is not represented in that spreadsheet either as some regard upwind performance in light winds as pinnacle of sailing.

This boat, if these polars are not fantasy, sails with gennaker at 27 app and doing 4.3 VMG directly against wind in 8 kn true. HUH! That is better than CC44 rocket.
Old 27-03-2021, 14:16   #78
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
I think you should take the advice of Fxykty in these posts. All yachts are a compromise and you have to sacrifice something. Limiting the loads on your yacht make it more comfortable.

My comment on your goal is why are you thinking fast. If you extend your argument to its maximum, just fly to the destination and charter.

I own a heavy catamaran (Prout Escale). I used to try to sail this fast, actually getting to 11kts once. I now sail it between 6.5 and 8kts, for comfort. I have recently bought a heavy displacement 48ft timber yacht (approx 30 tonnes). I plan to slow down even more. With weather forecasting options today you can be confident of the next 7 days of weather and with satellite communications you can get weather updates daily, while at sea, and re-route your course to suit.

Is your goal sailing or are you just travelling somewhere.

For me personally the advantage of the performance catamaran is the ability to sail in light airs while all others are motoring. It’s not all about the top speed
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 14:19   #79
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
they make 11m, i saw adds. I dont care if it is fast but wanted to demonstrate importance of stiff boat and that one can use gennaker for upwind quite successfully if boat is stiff enough. This is not represented in that spreadsheet either as some regard upwind performance in light winds as pinnacle of sailing.

This boat, if these polars are not fantasy, sails with gennaker at 27 app and doing 4.3 VMG directly against wind in 8 kn true. HUH! That is better than CC44 rocket.

I don’t think Balance ever made an 11m cat, in fact I’m sure they didn’t.
Old 27-03-2021, 14:37   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
For me personally the advantage of the performance catamaran is the ability to sail in light airs while all others are motoring. It’s not all about the top speed
Me too!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 15:07   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I don’t think Balance ever made an 11m cat, in fact I’m sure they didn’t.
oops sorry my bad, it is actually Excess 11, benetau boat. This polar is for pulse line of sails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-03-28_09-06-27.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	235331  
Old 27-03-2021, 21:48   #82

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
oops sorry my bad, it is actually Excess 11, benetau boat. This polar is for pulse line of sails.

7 knots upwind, ROTFLMAO.

Those polars are absolute BS for upwind and downwind as well; reaching at those boat speeds possible in flat water only. 9K kg displacement is a hell of a lot for a not even 40 foot catamaran. Those very wide hulls will need lots of power to overcome their hydrodynamic drag, as well as the aerodynamic sh*tstorm above the waterline.

Internal only as I’m sure they know that no one except the very gullible would believe those numbers.

I would take passage stats as the only real world way of presenting offshore cruising speed potential (well, actual). And it needs to be a mix of passages that showcase a variety of courses, not just the often quoted downwind slide of the ARC.

As a side note, on one’s own boat that’s also the best way to compile a realistic set of polars. Speaking of which, when using the update polar from NMEA data option in OpenCPN, does it continually overwrite the current data with new data? How long should one update with NMEA data?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 22:45   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
7 knots upwind, ROTFLMAO.

Those polars are absolute BS for upwind and downwind as well; reaching at those boat speeds possible in flat water only. 9K kg displacement is a hell of a lot for a not even 40 foot catamaran. Those very wide hulls will need lots of power to overcome their hydrodynamic drag, as well as the aerodynamic sh*tstorm above the waterline.

Internal only as I’m sure they know that no one except the very gullible would believe those numbers.

I would take passage stats as the only real world way of presenting offshore cruising speed potential (well, actual). And it needs to be a mix of passages that showcase a variety of courses, not just the often quoted downwind slide of the ARC.

As a side note, on one’s own boat that’s also the best way to compile a realistic set of polars. Speaking of which, when using the update polar from NMEA data option in OpenCPN, does it continually overwrite the current data with new data? How long should one update with NMEA data?
you are probably right. Considering that VPLP is behind design, i do want to verify these numbers, as this will drive my future boat swap direction.
Old 28-03-2021, 02:02   #84

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
you are probably right. Considering that VPLP is behind design, i do want to verify these numbers, as this will drive my future boat swap direction.
Excess/Beneteau does provide a nice tech document about the underlying performance considerations. Real-life actual data would obviously be a good compliment.
Old 28-03-2021, 02:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Excess/Beneteau does provide a nice tech document about the underlying performance considerations. Real-life actual data would obviously be a good compliment.
do you have that doc to share ?
Old 29-03-2021, 01:31   #86

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
do you have that doc to share ?
I sent you a private message
Old 29-03-2021, 02:23   #87

Boat: no boat any more

"...aerodynamic sh*tstorm above the waterline."

That's a good one! (& imho applies to nearly all the cats we saw between france & Tahiti!)
Old 29-03-2021, 03:16   #88

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post

That's a good one! (& imho applies to nearly all the cats we saw between france & Tahiti!)

Very few designers address this especially if the boat is destined for charter, where galley up, upright windows and berth equivalence is more important than sailing qualities.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aerodynamics.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	235408
https://www.shuttleworthdesign.com
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 03:19   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post

if ease of tacking is any indication of aerodynamics above water, then you are wrong. Virtually never had tacking problem, even in sub 5 kn winds.
Old 29-03-2021, 03:59   #90
smj

Quote:
if ease of tacking is any indication of aerodynamics above water, then you are wrong. Virtually never had tacking problem, even in sub 5 kn winds.

Your ability to easily tack probably comes from momentum due to weight, not anything to do with aerodynamics.

Tags
catamaran