Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 10:02   #1

Talk about a refit!

Got our "new" cat a couple of weeks ago and were not able to do a thorough survey due to the previous owner's crap all over as they were moving off board while we were starting to move on. OMG what a mess! We've been literally tearing out miles of messed up electrical systems that previous owners built one over the other, navigation systems that don't work, messed up seacocks, hydraulics and steering that was rotted, both a/c systems dying at the same time from being clogged up on the day we had a heat index of 117F, etc. you name it. Not to mention the dirt and filth left onboard...we've averaged about 6-8 contractor bags of crap a day!

Fortunately my partner is one hell of an electrician/mechanic so we're basically ripping everything out that makes her un-seaworthy and bringing her back to where she needs to be. At the dock longer than expected, but at least when we leave she'll be "right". We've made good friends at the marine stores, hardware store, home depot, etc.

The hull is solid as a rock, sails are good and rigging seems right which is fortunate. And being stuck in Key West doesn't suck! An adventure for sure but I look forward to getting out of the "construction zone" of the refit and getting her shipshape for our trip.
snoozy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:10   #2

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200
Re: Talk about a refit!

Good luck and I know the feeling! We are stuck In marathon awaiting repairs to fix a broken chain plate. It's always something with boats!
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 14:40   #3

@drewm3i oh yes, totally get it! it's like a house...fixing constantly until the day you sell it. lol...of course our house is under construction too so I've just traded one construction zone for another. as Marathon may be our next port of call if we ever get off the dock for our first shake down, any good marine supply places there? At least in Key West we have access to plenty, although many parts we need are going to have to be ordered online once we get back to our home port.

Hope you get your chainplate fixed soon! nothing more frustrating than playing the waiting game. I'm just trying to take the mentality of "Island Time" lol
Old 07-06-2019, 03:07   #4

There's a weird kind of alchemy to tasks like this, isn't there? The more bags of crap you take off and the more systems you set right, or just make simple, the more your boat becomes your own. Then when you get out on the sea with her, she's become a partner and collaborator for your journey, not just a vehicle to get you there.

That's just my two cents. Very best wishes on your refit!

Fair Winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

By the time you finish, you will know your boat far better than someone who buys a new boat and sails away in ignorance........That's your security as well as your bond with your boat.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:37   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I can feel you pain but it will subside. Once all the crap is gone you can get a good look and start sorting things right! We had a similar situation with our boat. We bought a boat knowing full well it was a project. Half filled a dumpster on the first day making it ready to get trucked to our home yard. Then FILLED another dumpster removing everything that we thought was garbage before we started working and sorting what we thought was usable. To this day ( 4 years later ) I still run across things and scratch my head as to why I thought it was worth keeping!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:38   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Local news will be running a story about the shortage of bleach in Key West
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:22   #8

You'll always find something else once you dig in but...

By your description, most of these issues should have been readily apparent during the survey.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 12:18   #9

Valhalla360...unfortunately the previous owners were living aboard and in process of moving and had their stuff piled EVERYWHERE..it was impossible to get a survey/sea trial before they moved off. In the long run, it will work out. However, never again on another boat will we do this!!!

Tags
refit