Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 19:22   #1

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Tall Guy Cat...Which One?

So, I just got back from a week of sailing in the North Channel of Lake Huron. We (the wife and two kids (1 & 3)), chartered a PDQ 36. This was our first time in the area and let me just say WOW!
Pretty great!
Anyhow. Standing 6'7" (2 M), and coming into this trip with a bad back, the short standing height in the saloon, cockpit and head really taxed me. I had a "perma-hunch" going on.
The only other Cat we've chartered was an Island Spirit 401 in the BVI's and it had a considerable amount of headroom for a 40' Cat.
Are there any other big guys out there?
What Cat's have you been on or own that are generous in the headroom department?
It'd be great if it was a spirited sailer also.
Thanks for any and all responses.
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 19:30   #2

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
Hey!
If you chartered an IS 401 in the BVI's I would know the boat, I would know the boat!
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 19:40   #3

Yup,
In the BVI's it was Honeycat that we were on also...
Old 31-08-2008, 21:39   #4

Assuming you're looking in the 40ish range, the Maine Cat 41 must have about the tallest headroom at 6' 9". I'm only 6' 3" & haven't found any low spots. Many cats claiming high headroom have certain spots & protrusions much lower than advertised. Overall, the Maine Cat 41 is a high quality boat & certainly a "spirited sailer" with a very unique open bridgedeck layout (which has it's pros & cons).

They are unfortunately suspending manufacturing of the 41 for 2 years or so, while they convert to a new powercat model. They do, however, have one new, unsold boat available, plus 2 used boats & also 1 for charter in Abaco (winter) & New Jersey (summer).

The Antares 44 is another cat with tall headroom. These 2 boats are currently at the top of our list!

If you search this forum, there was a thread a while back on this very subject.

Russ
RussR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
For the tall guy....Look at the Orana44.
Good headroom ...
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15   #6

But I've read the Orana is a typical Charter Cat that is more of a Dog than a Cat...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
But I've read the Orana is a typical Charter Cat that is more of a Dog than a Cat...
Read the latest issue of multihull mag.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:44   #8

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Read Yeloyas comments here on CF. He has one.

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04   #9

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
I think comments like this made to the owner of such a boat is uncalled for, unfounded and totally unnecessary. When you have test sailed a boat or put your money on the table and bought one then feel free to offer your considered opinion but in the mean time please refrain from making derogatory comments about someone else's decision when you obviously have never even seen one.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
I think comments like this made to the owner of such a boat is uncalled for, unfounded and totally unnecessary. When you have test sailed a boat or put your money on the table and bought one then feel free to offer your considered opinion but in the mean time please refrain from making derogatory comments about someone else's decision when you obviously have never even seen one.
Whoa,
Sorry I said that. I surely didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings.
The Orana is an awesome looking boat and I would give my left nut to have one myself!
I didn't know I was speaking directly to an owner.
In my early morning fog, I thought that the , "dog and cat" comment would be cute... but I was wrong and I sincerely apologize.

The main reason for my original post, was to learn which cat to charter for a couple of weeks at a time, a couple of times a year.
I would love to be ready to purchase a cat to live on and cruise full time, but the wife isn't too keen on the idea and she holds the purse strings.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:45   #11

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Quote:
Whoa,
Sorry I said that. I surely didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings.
The Orana is an awesome looking boat and I would give my left nut to have one myself!
I didn't know I was speaking directly to an owner.
In my early morning fog, I thought that the , "dog and cat" comment would be cute... but I was wrong and I sincerely apologize.

The main reason for my original post, was to learn which cat to charter for a couple of weeks at a time, a couple of times a year.
I would love to be ready to purchase a cat to live on and cruise full time, but the wife isn't too keen on the idea and she holds the purse strings.
No problem (I probably wouldn't have have said anything if you had been stood beside me in a bar. I would have politely agreed, you being 6'7" and all).
From my experience the newer boats you class as charter cats, Lagoon, Leopard and FP all have pretty good headroom but I did have problems on the Voyage 440 and I am only 6'2". Speak to the charter companies they should be fairly truthfull about the headroom of each boat in their fleet as it will only work against them if they aren't.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:21   #12

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
I am 6'4". The Maine Cat 30 (that I own) has exactly enough headroom for me, would not be enough for you. The Maine Cat 41 is excellent for headroom. The Lagoon 380 S2 seemed to have an adequate amont of headroom for me as I recall. The Mahe 36 seemed to have good headroom except at the helm station, and others have told me that I got that part wrong. Other than than that, none of the other cats I have been on have been adequate.

Kevin
kevinmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
On the FastCat 455 the standing hight true out is 2.05 meters or 6 ft 11 inches.
The lengths of the beds 7 ft 4 inches and the width 6 ft or slightly larger than california king sized beds.
We do however not produce charter cats so only sleeping for a maximum of 6 people.

Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:49   #14

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
I would think most smaller production builders would add a few inches to accomodate you.
Either that or custom. Mine has 1.95 but it wouldn't be difficult to add another 100mm.
Boy two meters is big, I know a doctor who could fix that

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 14:50   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Thank you for the supportive comments and for the opportunity to have open discussion on this forum. I am the co-owner of our Orana, and share the passion and sense of adventure in owning a cruising catamaran with my husband. And yes, many a time the comment has been made, that he is a lucky man! We did our homework together on which catamaran to purchase, and in doing so; I think we made the right choice for our needs. The Orana sails well and provides us with the living space we desire for extended periods on board. My advice is to charter the Orana and see your wife’s reaction. Every woman who steps foot on our boat loves it! See what she thinks. There is an Orana currently in charter in Tahiti I believe.
Regards, Louise.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote