Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 05:57   #16

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Tesla Powerwall- useful?

"Technology
Wall mounted, rechargeable lithium ion battery with liquid thermal control."

That is a from the Tesla Powerwall Site.

AFAIK up to this point all of Tesla's batteries use multiple strings of 18650 Lithium ion cells (same as your laptop computer). These things have a long track record of making fire if mishandled.

UR right about life away from the power and water utilities requires us boaters to do a lot of things inconceivable to dirt dwellers.

Try Navy SEALS and ASDS for info on the total destruction of a special ops submarine by lithium batteries. Almost a billion dollars in US money (not sure if it was tax money or just some printed by the Fed) up in smoke. I worked on that one.

Going to sea has enough hazardous with out dragging any lithium along. Same would probably be said by Boeing and the Dreamliner folks.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 14:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
The Tesla Powerwall reportedly uses lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide (NMC) chemistry. Maybe not as stable as LiFePO4, and thus the Powewall includes internal cooling capability.

Don't Believe Elon Musk on the Powerwall -- The Motley Fool
Thanks for that. Time will tell about the safety and stability of this technology.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 14:58   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
"Technology
Wall mounted, rechargeable lithium ion battery with liquid thermal control."

That is a from the Tesla Powerwall Site.

AFAIK up to this point all of Tesla's batteries use multiple strings of 18650 Lithium ion cells (same as your laptop computer). These things have a long track record of making fire if mishandled.

UR right about life away from the power and water utilities requires us boaters to do a lot of things inconceivable to dirt dwellers.

Try Navy SEALS and ASDS for info on the total destruction of a special ops submarine by lithium batteries. Almost a billion dollars in US money (not sure if it was tax money or just some printed by the Fed) up in smoke. I worked on that one.

Going to sea has enough hazardous with out dragging any lithium along. Same would probably be said by Boeing and the Dreamliner folks.
The safety of lithium ion batteries on boats has been "done to death" in other parts of his forum, including the link that I previously included. I doubt that you have read or understood these.

There are many different battery technologies using various ions of Lithium, LiFePO4 being the most common on boats. This is far safer, but less energy dense than some of the other technologies that are used on aircraft and submarines. Any battery system is able to cause fires, so safety is a relative thing. However, LiFePO4 batteries don't burst into flames if overcharged, as some other Lithium technologies sometime do.

Please educate yourself about these facts before scaremongering about the dangers of "lithium batteries" on boats.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 18:18   #19

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I an aware that there are variations in the chemistry even within the 18650 cell format. As in most things there are trade offs usually involving energy density, cycle life, and safety.

600 to 800 AH of lead acid is just not that big or heavy in the normal yacht scheme of things. Plenty of ways to recharge.

In my career with the US Navy I have been party to some bad experiences with different battery technology. Seems like too many had Lithium as their first name. Gasoline has great energy density, but not on my sailboat.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:58   #20

Quote:
I an aware that there are variations in the chemistry even within the 18650 cell format.
LOL. NFI.

Do you have a cell phone on your boat? A laptop?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:34   #21

Some Lithiums copping serious abuse. Sorry, no explosions....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:40   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Gasoline has great energy density, but not on my sailboat.
So you dont have a dinghy, I admire your fortitude
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:01   #23

Frankly I'm surprised that the US Navy had problems with lithium batteries. Unless they were experimenting I would expect the US Navy to have researched and tested things better and know what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:22   #24

Boat: Neel 47 Trimaran

Check out Electric outboards by Torqeedo seems that they build "marinated" "martinified" IP67 LiNMC batteries...
SlowTourist is offline   Reply With Quote