Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
The Adventures of STRAVAIG

My friends, Jeff and Jose (pronounced Josie), of the Cross 42, STRAVAIG, just called me on Skype yesterday, having survived what is reported to be the first hurricane in Costa Rican waters in memory. But first, some background. They departed San Diego in April, bound for Baja and Central America, before the hurricane season. It's a fast boat, sailing in company with another fast Cross. En route, they hit a whale, slightly damaging their starboard bow, and giving them a story to brag about for life. Leaving the other boat to spend the hurricane season in Guaymas, on the hard, SV STRAVAIG continued south to cross the dreaded Gulf of Tehuantepec. Meanwhile, the first tropical storm of the season began to develop, heading SSW across the Central American isthmus, with heavy flooding and wind damage. Once into warm water, it gained strength and apparently developed localized hurricane force winds.

STRAVAIG lost its engine, suffered some sail damage and lost a halyard, bent some stantions and damaged both its dinghies. Additional damage was incurred by sea action tearing loose its stores and waves entered a hatch which had blown open. The US Coast Guard was notified of a possible Mayday, but STRAVAIG managed to pull through and reach calmer waters after the storm passed. They credit the strength and design of the boat for their survival. They will recuperate and repair in Costa Rica prior to resuming their adventures into the Caribbean this winter. If any of you folks meet up with them, you are in for a treat. They are delightful. Jeff is responsible for introducing me to the Searunner 40 some 35 years ago, when he was building his own in Los Angeles.

You can follow their adventures at: Stravaig's Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 008A.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	3783  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Thanks for the link. I will have to keep with their adventure. You should post a close up of the photo in the gallery that you recently sent me of your boat under sail . It looks pretty sweet.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 15:51   #3

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I need to get some stuff in the gallery. I sent off some shots to other threads about my head and holding tank. Thanks for your response.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote