Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2009, 05:05   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
The Anchor(ed) Dance....

First night on the hook, 12ft depth and we had about 70ft of chain out. Used a bridle - each leg is ~20ft long.

My concerns are:

- the bridle never seemd to take a strain at all. I know it was in the mud with the chain at this depth, but I really expected to see strain on the bridle legs

- we danced around all night, swinging back & forth whilst the monos anchored nearby stayed fairly well bow into the wind / swell running through the anchorage.

First time at anchor on our new to us multi. So what gives? Is the bridle too long for that depth?

Old 28-02-2009, 05:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
How much slack in the bridled chain?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 06:03   #3
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
- the bridle never seemd to take a strain at all.
-Strange! including with light winds as the bridle should at least take the strain of the weight of the chain

I will also ask the same question than GordMay: How much slack in the bridled chain?

Joćo

Old 28-02-2009, 06:54   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Hi Mark,

I am a former Manta owner not that that this is boat specific. Sounds to be like perhaps you did not have a lot of wind. That along with 20' bridles in 12' of water caused you to be swinging to the chain which was attached to the center of the bow. The bridles would have been just hanging slack while you would have been moored only by the weight of the chain. In deeper water the pull would have been on the bridles or if the wind would have picked up.

Cheers, Dave
Former owner hull #67
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Hi Mark,

I am a former Manta owner not that that this is boat specific. Sounds to be like perhaps you did not have a lot of wind. That along with 20' bridles in 12' of water caused you to be swinging to the chain which was attached to the center of the bow. The bridles would have been just hanging slack while you would have been moored only by the weight of the chain. In deeper water the pull would have been on the bridles or if the wind would have picked up.

Cheers, Dave
Former owner hull #67
I'm inclined to agree that we were swinging to the chain. But there was still 10kts + wind and I would think that sufficient to take up the slack. It was sure enough to swing us back & forth.

Gord - I let out at least 20ft of chain after I attached the bridle. I have a counter (and it actually works ). Maybe I had a clump of chain inside the 'Y' and we were swinging to that.... too much chain would also cause this problem.

Next time I'll either shorten the bridle or keep a hand on one bridle leg as I veer out the chain so I can feel the point where it takes a strain.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:41   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Mark --

On our cat (a St. Francis), I've found that the length of the bridle legs greatly influences how much swinging takes place, in relation to the wind. Less wind = shorter legs, more wind = longer legs. I know some folks advocate a constant bridle length, but I just haven't found that to be true for ours.

I've also found that too much scope can also contribute to it. In several respects, the mantra of 7:1 is too much in light wind/shallow anchorage, as you never get any tension on the chain/rode/bridle and thusly it is easier to just get a pile of chain (or bights) on the bottom.

I just keep experimenting as I get into different situations.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:29   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
And don't expect a multi to line-up with the monos....

The wind, tide, and swell effect the boat differently. As long as the dance is not too much, think of it as they that are swinging oddly!

That said, I try to keep away from boats I feel will swing differently. I pick a shallow corner. That way no one will drag into me, either.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:18   #8

Makes sense - thanks guys.

Tags
anchor