Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 19:31   #46

Re: The best 50' liveaboard/extended cruising cat?

How about a Gunboat or Outremer cat?
Stardust10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 02:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust10 View Post
How about a Gunboat or Outremer cat?
Quiet! Those are two forbidden words in the cruiser world! :P

Joking aside, if money is no problem, GB all the way...
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 10:16   #48

Boat: Taswell 43

downunder,
The Freeflow is a well executed design. Now I say that we the little knowledge I really have after living and cruising aboard a 43' mono these past 7 years. However, I am a builder of modern factory work stations and I understand use of space and choice of materials. I also have an opinion as to the priorities of a liveaboard. The Freeflow lacks storage and the fact that the 46 has household diningroom furniture doesn't impress me at all. I'm not concerned when a boat was designed. If it works and sails well as the Antares does then I'm impressed. The use of Lagoon and FP as examples of boat design was a strange way to make your argument. The Freeflow has a much better helm and is clearly a serious boat unlike the French or SA vacation boats. Again, I was commenting on liveaboard options and the only reason I am even reading the multihull forum is due to my experience on the Antares.
leaurider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 18:19   #49

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Leaurider,

That particular vessel (Keshi) had a customer chosen fitout that few if anyone else would choose certainly not I or you. There are at least 6 possible layouts on the website and its possible to customise to suite. A saloon layout I would choose would be similar to several St Francis 50 layouts and the larger area would full sizes certral bench with more storage than the examples of a St Francis 50 in attached pictures.

Storage is not an issue, don't forget the raised floor of the cockpit means adittional massive storage under a large area as is done by Priviledge and others. In fact would be more available storage than one would want to carry. I did like the Antares a lot as the benchmark for a long term liveaboard but in my view the FF46 has every advantage of an Antares plus some.

I simply used the example of Lagoon moving its mast to a certral location as done by Freeflow is a proven concept used by the top catamaran designers as a trend will see more of in the future. Design with heavy items central and centrering of mast and sails are real advantages.

The cockpit hardtop will easily hold 1kw+ solar and water catchment is built into both cockpit and saloon roofs.

I believe it will sail and work better than the Antares.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SF50Galleynav station.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	60815  
Attached Images

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:03   #50

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I believe it will sail and work better than the Antares.

Cheers

Freeflow may be the best yacht builders in the world, but as far as I can tell, they've only built one boat, is that correct? So it's difficult to recommend them one way or the other.

Sea Frog, I think most Privilege Yachts are as ugly as sin, but the 515 looks like an exception and seems like a fine choice.

Personally, if I had 1.5 million to spend on a new boat, I would lean toward a Leopard 58. A bit bigger than the range you were looking for, but you get an awful lot of boat for your money. One of the options available is a bridgedeck owner's cabin. I believe they have saildrives, however.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:24   #51

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Freeflow may be the best yacht builders in the world, but as far as I can tell, they've only built one boat, is that correct? So it's difficult to recommend them one way or the other.

Sea Frog, I think most Privilege Yachts are as ugly as sin, but the 515 looks like an exception and seems like a fine choice.

Personally, if I had 1.5 million to spend on a new boat, I would lean toward a Leopard 58. A bit bigger than the range you were looking for, but you get an awful lot of boat for your money. One of the options available is a bridgedeck owner's cabin. I believe they have saildrives, however.

I am assuming Seafrog wants a cat for sailing and not an overweight 3 story high monolithe thats only good for dockside parties, Leopard 58? Get real man
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:33   #52

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Rohan,

It is correct only one FF46 has been built and a couple of FF52 are underway, one being built in Europe.

The designer/builder is not actually a newby and is well respected in Australia having started and previously built Lightwave 45/38's considered as extremely good vessels. Some of Lightwave's contractors worked on Kershi. Lightwave 45's are probably rarely seen in States but are well considered as world class vessels.

Nathan is not actually building himself anymore but using respected builders in various countries. There was a link to one builder in Peru well versed in flat panel infused foam construction in an earlier post and very competetive in price.

I am just offering it as an option and believe it is the best option as a liveaboard in that size range having observed the entire build from the start and looking at everything available in Australia. Certainly it is not a production vessel such as the Lagoons and Leopards.

It is an option and one can understand any hesitation without observation.

It is a shame Leopard have moved away from shaft drive.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:51   #53

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
I am assuming Seafrog wants a cat for sailing and not an overweight 3 story high monolithe thats only good for dockside parties, Leopard 58? Get real man
That third story is only an open flybridge, it's not like they put a hot tub up there. It's certainly seaworthy, since it's arrived from South Africa to boat shows in the USA. Have no idea how fast it sails, but who cares? You would be so comfortable on that thing, who would want to leave?
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 00:12   #54

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
That third story is only an open flybridge, it's not like they put a hot tub up there. It's certainly seaworthy, since it's arrived from South Africa to boat shows in the USA. Have no idea how fast it sails, but who cares? You would be so comfortable on that thing, who would want to leave?

Easy to figure out how it would sail, 190sqm sail pushing 33 + tons of boat ,with the aerodynamics of a Mack truck
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 07:07   #55

Boat: PT-11
"Have no idea how fast it sails, but who cares?". This thread is about catamarans, right? I think it just went off the rails.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 00:00   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
While I love his designs, I need a boat with a wide owners suite for berth that simply can not fit inside a single hull. That's why I am looking in the direction of Privilege and Discovery. If not that limitation, there would be a whole lot of very interesting boats to buy... Including Chris White's
Not sure if it can be done in your price range or not, but his Concept 63 design appears to do everything you want of it - in particular an enormous owner's cabin.

It's longer than you're after, but his website implies that being relatively lightweight for the size it isn't excessively difficult to handle. AIUI only one has been built to date - see second website.

Concept 63 Catamaran by Chris White Designs
Heron Luxury Sailing Charters Montauk Hamptons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aft%20cabin2web-M.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	62618  
pdf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 08:04   #57
Marine Service Provider

Maybe our boat will fit your needs.
AQUINUS 57'catamaran -design by boat builders and sailors for cruising.
This semi custom boat can be build just as you like.
send me your e-mail address then I will send you some pictures and information.

Marek marek.dziedzic@aquinus.com
szkutnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising