Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 13:23   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Just read on the thread on SA that the amateur catamaran which we have been hearing about, the Flyin Hawaiian, has disappeared from its mooring in SF bay. For those not in the know, this is a 65' monster, built by a chap called James 'Hot Rod' Lane, with the build quality of a garden shed. It left Loch Lomond marina a few days ago and has been anchored in the bay since.

Does anyone in the area know what's happened? Sightings? Debris field?
So if he's a xxxx...why do you care so much where he is? Another question that comes to mind. Have you built anything, or do you just get your jolly's off mocking someone else's projects? There are dreamers and there are doers. Dreamers are a dime a dozen. Need change?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:31   #17

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Talking Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
That will make a fine party boat in the delta. Shoal draft, run her right up into the toolies and party on.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:33   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So if he's a Moron...why do you care so much where he is? Another question that comes to mind. Have you built anything, or do you just get your jolly's off mocking someone else's projects? There are dreamers and there are doers. Dreamers are a dime a dozen. Need change?
schadenfreude
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:34   #19
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
So if he's a Moron...why do you care so much where he is? Another question that comes to mind. Have you built anything, or do you just get your jolly's off mocking someone else's projects? There are dreamers and there are doers. Dreamers are a dime a dozen. Need change?
Well said.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:44   #20

Absolutely it's schadenfreude - but I only indulge in it when the misfortune involves a 65' floating shed. And no, I haven't built a massive boat out of plywood and 2x4. I prefer to get on the water by more conventional means... I'll only start building when I have the means to do it properly! The saddest thing about the whole business is that with the money he's spent on the floating pighouse he could have bought a decent boat and be in Hawaii already...
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 15:20   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I wonder if they have reserved a mooring in Hawaii. Shouldn't cost too much for double times 65 feet. Oh wait, the wait list is 10 years.
Old 01-08-2013, 16:10   #22

Quote:
Absolutely it's schadenfreude - but I only indulge in it when the misfortune involves a 65' floating shed. And no, I haven't built a massive boat out of plywood and 2x4. I prefer to get on the water by more conventional means... I'll only start building when I have the means to do it properly! The saddest thing about the whole business is that with the money he's spent on the floating pighouse he could have bought a decent boat and be in Hawaii already...
Please stop to consider that he might be perfectly happy with what he did...what he has...with his loving and supportive family.
Wait!...Group hug for europaflyer everyone!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-08-2013, 16:20   #23

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

It is the scale of it that makes it so interesting. Plenty of poorly made boats, just not so big. It might be too big for the delta.
Old 01-08-2013, 16:29   #24

Quote:
lolol
Old 01-08-2013, 17:48   #25

As long as he has a big red button he'll be fine.
Old 01-08-2013, 17:56   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

It's just heartbreaking to see all that passion and all those hours poured into what is a fundamentally unsound design. The hulls are 1/2" CDX with only fiberglass tape at the seams. No sheathing at all, if I understand it correctly. That stuff will start seeping water through within months -- if it hasn't already. And that doesn't even begin to address the bigger structural problems, like how the hulls are attached, and whether they can withstand any twisting forces at all in a seaway.

I've built many small boats, and one sort-of-big one (31' monohull), and I know how it completely overwhelms your life and you pour all you have into it. If he had just paid for a set of Wharram plans, or bought a fixer-upper, he would be way ahead. Right now I think he faces the loss of all those hours, all that money, the death of the dream.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:19   #27

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

I've looked at that thread over at sailinganachronism and cringe, what a steaming brood of bloodlusting vultures
As a builder of a 35' ply/glass boat I gotta wonder what that Hotrod guy was thinking.. or maybe i wonder if people think my boat is another raw faith.. better not go there (in my defence I am following NA's boat plans).

Maybe as consolation, especially for any family of HR (and they will definately be reading this thread), it seems that sailingmalarky days are numbered..
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:21   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
It's just heartbreaking to see all that passion and all those hours poured into what is a fundamentally unsound design. The hulls are 1/2" CDX with only fiberglass tape at the seams. No sheathing at all, if I understand it correctly. That stuff will start seeping water through within months -- if it hasn't already. And that doesn't even begin to address the bigger structural problems, like how the hulls are attached, and whether they can withstand any twisting forces at all in a seaway.

I've built many small boats, and one sort-of-big one (31' monohull), and I know how it completely overwhelms your life and you pour all you have into it. If he had just paid for a set of Wharram plans, or bought a fixer-upper, he would be way ahead. Right now I think he faces the loss of all those hours, all that money, the death of the dream.
I heard a line somewhere of "incompetence: when you truly believe you can make up for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't accomplish."
Old 01-08-2013, 18:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
I've looked at that thread over at sailinganachronism and cringe, what a steaming brood of bloodlusting vultures
As a builder of a 35' ply/glass boat I gotta wonder what that Hotrod guy was thinking.. or maybe i wonder if people think my boat is another raw faith.. better not go there (in my defence I am following NA's boat plans).

Maybe as consolation, especially for any family of HR (and they will definately be reading this thread), it seems that sailingmalarky days are numbered..
He definitely should have gone with a junk rigged schooner.
Old 01-08-2013, 19:01   #30

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
He definitely should have gone with a junk rigged schooner.
Would solve the issues he is likely to have with his rig.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii