Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 00:22   #406

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: The Flyin Hawaiian is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Sometimes people just like to talk.
And this is just cause to cut another human being down?
I don't believe that.
If you want to know my life story, it is full of falling short of the mark.
SV Snow Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 00:28   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Snow Goose View Post
And this is just cause to cut another human being down?
I don't believe that.
If you want to know my life story, it is full of falling short of the mark.
Everyone fails sometimes. People talk. Its okay. I bet half of the "mean" people here would go out of their way to help HR if they met him in person and he would accept the help. Keep in mind this is the internet. And people like to talk.
Old 21-08-2013, 00:40   #408

Quote:
Everyone fails sometimes. People talk. Its okay. I bet half of the "mean" people here would go out of their way to help HR if they met him in person and he would accept the help. Keep in mind this is the internet. And people like to talk.
I have read post after post on here and SA about how people swear up and down that they offered sincere help and it was rebuffed.. I can only assume this is true.

Even so, does this then mean that this is open season?
when is a human being beyond efforts being aimed at redemption or "education"?

at what point does it become open season on a man?

When does a man need public humiliation?

And to be clear I do not believe anyone on this board is "bad" moreover I believe they are capable of better, that is, befitting their investment into their common love of sailing.
Old 21-08-2013, 00:41   #409
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Here is another side. Let's say that you are talking to a guy in a pub. He says, I am going to walk out of here and close my eyes and walk straight across the busy freeway outside because that is my dream. Now, do you say to him, well mate, that is your right and good luck, or, do you tell him that he is an idiot and try and stop him? Which is right and which is wrong?

Coops.
Old 21-08-2013, 00:46   #410

Quote:
I missed the part about this is the internet and people like to talk.

Would you in your heart wish I tell my 10yo and 13yo children that the internet holds a different standard and if you wish to hurt people and laugh at them casually than that is ok?

Please don't hold it against me if I don't.
Old 21-08-2013, 00:49   #411

Quote:
I missed the part about this is the internet and people like to talk.

Would you in your heart wish I tell my 10yo and 13yo children that the internet holds a different standard and if you wish to hurt people and laugh at them casually than that is ok?

Please don't hold it against me if I don't.
You're conflating things because it rubs you the wrong way that people have said negative things about HR/FH. If two guys sitting in a pub wanted to discuss the situation, and weren't saying it to HR himself, would it be wrong if they said they thought his plan/boat was of poor quality? would you tell your children it is always wrong to disagree with something? I think some level of judgement is healthy. It allows us to determine right from wrong and to see other opinions and points of view.
Old 21-08-2013, 00:53   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Here is another side. Let's say that you are talking to a guy in a pub. He says, I am going to walk out of here and close my eyes and walk straight across the busy freeway outside because that is my dream. Now, do you say to him, well mate, that is your right and good luck, or, do you tell him that he is an idiot and try and stop him? Which is right and which is wrong?

Coops.
Did you read my post?

I never defended HR's thought processes or judgement.
I just said is their a kinder way to communicate, "Hey, there are those who have a lot of experience who are concerned about you. They believe your boat is VERY unsafe. We are concerned about you. Please have a dialogue with us." ?
vs.
Let's eat popcorn and watch this douche bag fuggin break apart!!!
Old 21-08-2013, 01:01   #413

Quote:
You're conflating things because it rubs you the wrong way that people have said negative things about HR/FH. If two guys sitting in a pub wanted to discuss the situation, and weren't saying it to HR himself, would it be wrong if they said they thought his plan/boat was of poor quality? would you tell your children it is always wrong to disagree with something? I think some level of judgement is healthy. It allows us to determine right from wrong and to see other opinions and points of view.
I work at a very large company, accidently hitting reply all to an email can be VERY embarrassing.

I do not understand how you can equate a public forum with a private chat at a pub. I have no problem with this being a learning situation. Learning can occur. It doesn't mean I have the need, let alone the right to SH!t on another man's dreams.

Yes, Sh!t is different than advise or implore
Old 21-08-2013, 01:04   #414

Quote:
I work at a very large company, accidently hitting reply all to an email can be VERY embarrassing.

I do not understand how you can equate a public forum with a private chat at a pub. I have no problem with this being a learning situation. Learning can occur. It doesn't mean I have the need, let alone the right to SH!t on another man's dreams.

Yes, Sh!t is different than advise or implore
Sitting in a pub and a public forum are similar because in both cases the conversation can be overheard but isn't purposefully directed at the person being discussed.
Old 21-08-2013, 01:14   #415

[QUOTE=Target9000;1318453]Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there. QUOTE]

This is YOUR quote. You don't believe we can turn our turn our desire to help and educate/illuminate without just being a popcorn eating ass into something?
Old 21-08-2013, 01:46   #416

[QUOTE=SV Snow Goose;1318455]
Quote:
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there. QUOTE]

This is YOUR quote. You don't believe we can turn our turn our desire to help and educate/illuminate without just being a popcorn eating ass into something?
I have had my say. If any disagree, I'm glad to state my position. I have said all that makes what I feel makes my case. The founding fathers said, "ALL men are created equal.' All means all. PERIOD. Contact if you wish to discuss.

Jeremy
Old 21-08-2013, 07:46   #417

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Snow Goose
I think people think the Internet is a free-for-all, and it is. But forums, I thought, are here to corral certain interests, and this one in particular, to encourage community.
Old 21-08-2013, 07:50   #418

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

Coops.
Coops, I see your point. But in all the dramatization of HRs boat and actions, I think he is safe for now. Also, do you think calling him an idiot is the best way to go about it? Is that an Aussie thing?.
Old 21-08-2013, 08:22   #419

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Had HR built the boat and said to people "I'm going to use this thing as a condo in protected waters" the story would be gone. But he has instead decided to state his desire to sail that thing to the sopac!!!
Coops example above is valid to this argument. But I'm just watching from the side and have said very little either way.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:56   #420

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Is there an update on the actual topic of this thread? Is she still afloat? How is HR doing?Has the Harley gone in the bay yet?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii