Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 17:47   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: The Multihull Trampoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaella View Post
It was one of the South African boats that Sunsail are using aat this moment, the ones with kind of steps in the front salon window
That would be a Leopard, and they have a full net trampoline on the bow, not a solid fiberglass platform.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 18:17   #17

Boat: R & C Leopard 38 (2001)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
That would be a Leopard, and they have a full net trampoline on the bow, not a solid fiberglass platform.

Mark
"This said, could you imagine the power it actually has, and how it can work against you if the bow goes under, byebye and begin a bad dream."

The tramp is more likely to have been damaged by water pushing it upward as the bows repeatedly drop onto waves going to windward in rough, sometimes unavoidable, choppy conditions. It is unlikely that the tramp was damaged from above by large breaking waves over the bow. I'm sure it can happen, but he'd have to be driving headlong into some seriously big breaking waves. Very unlikely on a Leopard delivery from S.A.

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 19:30   #18
Marine Service Provider

raphaella....its people like you , talking hearsay,a beer or two and then spew forth nonsense in the true meaning of the word.
Try some research before your next quote
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 20:55   #19

My tramp needs to be re-tied after a long passage for the exact reasons as stated by Dave (good post Dave). The water pushes UP on the tramp from below. After a long passage the ties are frayed (or broken). A kiwi showed me a better way to tie and now it lasts much longer, but still needs doing often.
Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 21:44   #20

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Kapena,
Dont leave us in suspense with your last post, please! What was the system the Kiwi showed you to attach the tramp. On our last windward bash, we had both tramps half torn off from slamming through waves - water pressure upwards as bows went through and down.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 22:24   #21

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Kapena,
Dont leave us in suspense with your last post, please! What was the system the Kiwi showed you to attach the tramp. On our last windward bash, we had both tramps half torn off from slamming through waves - water pressure upwards as bows went through and down.
I, too, woulld like to know the Kiwi's technique. When sailing from Florida last year, I had one of my tramps half hanging in the water by the time I got through the Mona Passage and into the BVI's last winter. I replaced the line and simply "rethreaded" it through the tramp slides as it had been done originally. I'm certainly open to a better, more secure, method - please describe what you learned.
In my case, when faced with the dangling tramp, I actually replaced all the trampoline slides as they had endured 5 years of exposure to Caribbean sun and several were breaking under load. I then retied both tramps with new line. It was a time consuming job while at anchor but I would be prepared to retie again if I thought I could get better (ie stronger) performance out of them.
I guess my next trampoline job will be to replace the tramp itself as its five year life is now resulting in fraying along the edges of the tramp fabric. And then I will have to decide if I will change to rope rather than replace it with the existing "strapping" style.
Thank you.
Teej
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18   #22

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB TGD View Post
niel 12, Because of Pitching

In offshore conditions when you might be semi-surfing down waves; your bow can overtake the wave system ahead of you and plunge into the wave. Nets simply let the water through and allow the bows to recover. Solid decking can trip the boat and cause a catastrophic pitch pole--mid-ocean. Netting forward rather than solid decking is crucial for an offshore cat--for comfort and for safety!
In fine weather or for sleeping/snoozing on rope one could place camping mats on the rope for more comfort. I use tennis nets (free) on my tri and the camping mats work fine for laying down.

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50   #23
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris smith View Post
raphaella....its people like you , talking hearsay,a beer or two and then spew forth nonsense in the true meaning of the word.
Try some research before your next quote
Wow - lighten up a little. It's not hearsay if he was talking to the people who had it happen to them.

The FACT is that when you use the mesh nets in heavy sea's some will get torn off. This has been documented here before. They are comfortable for coastal cruising but really inappropriate for offshore.

Open ocean nets should be installed before long passages. I have the mesh nets on Palarran and we all love them for hanging out on. But before we cross over the the Mediterranean we will remove them and install open nets. The total cost for the light duty open net is $1200. That doesn't seem expensive compared to having the current one torn off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meshsqlg.gif
Views:	166
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	31259   Click image for larger version

Name:	openlklg.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	31260  

Tags
multihull