Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 15:21   #16

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStartin View Post
For what its worth I am awaiting delivery of a new Broadblue and their customer service is second to erm anyones....
Sorry to hear that. In my limited experience customer service from builders/brokers is at its highest until you've handed over the dosh and goes downhill from there.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:27   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Dan: I've just reread your list of requirements, and have some specific suggestions. Since you are specifically looking for a cat, you have probably found a place to keep it. Cat sized slips are rarer than squid knuckles, so you've possibly found a T head or a shallow inner space. If not, these concerns should be high on you list of decisions.
Other wise, your needs will be nicely met by the 36' Fontaine Pajot Mahe', at about $350,000, or a Seawind 1000XL. These are capable cats, and would not be overly stressed by a Bermuda run. Its a shame PDQ stopped producing the 36, it would provide for all your plans very nicely. There don't seem to be that many used PDQs on the market at New and Used Yachts for Sale - YachtWorld.com but you could check with PDQ36 for a few more. I looked at the newest 36 available "Passage Back" ($285,000) earlier this year, and would have believed it to be brand new. It is possibly the absolute culmination of refinements PDQ made to the marque. Judging from the durability of my own 15 year old boat, This could be a very good investment, providing great sailing with great creature comforts, quality construction at a much better price than new.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:34   #18

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I've been aboard the older prout 45 many many times. It's a half wind speed boat, but has huge water tight chambers that are complete dedicated and sectioned off by full water tight doors secured by stainless steel acorn nuts and is built like a tank, so it's extremely safe. The cabin top goes over the hulls and the forward birth is actually visible with a cutout from the saloon, so when you step into the boat you are in effect in a room that is 20 ft long and 20 ft wide, it's very very nice in terms of apparent space. The aft cabins are generous, the galley is very open as a galley down, and yes, a lot of other catamarans will sail faster than it will. But in terms of live aboard comfort and safety and ease of ride, it would be very very hard to beat.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:20   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't know if I would want to be in a 20x20ft room at sea. Hopefully there is furniture to hang onto?????????
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 04:37   #20

New Prout 45

From conversations I have had with the sales arm of the new firm (based in Florida) they certainly are claiming to be associated with the old Prout company in the UK. They make lots of references to them and arent shy about it, so who knows.

The new 45 certainly does look good, I have the pics and plans on my desk top but in PDF format so I cant post them here. They are being built in Thailand, not China and are promising to be lighter than the UK built Prouts to improve performance, although they admit they are aiming at the blue water cruiser.

Delivery at the moment is quoted as March 2009, so either they have a very long build or they have actually sold some boats!!

Spec wise, they look complete but you do still need to add cruising musts from the options list such as a generator, aircon and water maker.

The basic boat is $542,307 including delivery to Florida, rigging and dealer preparation (I am guessing this is sailaway effectively) but if you want to go blue water cruising in it you have to add another $57,000 for aircon to saloon and two cabins, watermaker, generator, nav gear, proper 60Hp engines (rather than the 30Hp units that come standard) and a better rig.

Still, $599,000 gets you a complete boat delivered to Florida so maybe worth a look.
jrb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 07:52   #21

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb1978 View Post
proper 60Hp engines (rather than the 30Hp units that come standard)
In 45 feet - Amazing

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 08:02   #22

Sorry, is 60Hp not enough (per hull, so 120Hp in total) or is it that you think 30Hp per side is adequate?

Just so i better understand your comment...
jrb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 10:29   #23

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
The prout 45 is a load carrying boat, my friends has a 14 ft center console tender with a 25 HP engine and two seakayaks and a sailboard on the aft arch and it doesn't seem to budge the waterline. For HP comparison, twin 40 HP engines I have will power my 44 catamaran at 10.5 knots, I'm definitely over powered for engines, but my boat is MUCH lighter than a prout 45. Different horses...
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 14:49   #24

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
New Prout

New Prout

SAILING PROUT CATAMARAN 45S

The Prout 45 is a luxury yacht that can be custom built to fit its buyers' needs, whether it be simply to buy a large private sailing yacht, to charter a multihull, or for use in a catamaran school.
Manufactured in China by highly reputed Prout Catamarans, this large sailing yacht achieves the strength essential in catamaran design by bonding the bulkheads into a one piece hull molding to form deep box sections and then by bonding the one piece deck molding to the hull and bulkheads to create a monocoque shell system. The hull has integrated longitudinal and transverse mini-nacelles designed specifically to increase stiffness. The bulkheads are strategically located to absorb torsion and compression loads inherent in a catamaran's structure.

The P45S-03 Under Construction The mainmast support bulkhead is mounted on a stringer to help transmit the mast loads away from the bridge deck. The hulls are hand laid with E-Glass and isophathalic resin to German Lloyds certification. The first layers use powder bound mat and vinylester resin to minimize risk of osmosis. The hull is cored with foam core. The deck is molded using similar techniques of foam core reinforced at high stress areas with uni-directional and double-bias cloth. All bulkheads and cabin soles are made of nida-core GRP laminate. Watertight bulkheads fore and aft add buoyancy and security in the event of collision and ensure the watertight integrity of the boat. For those looking to buy a large sailing catamaran, this luxury catamaran is perfect.

Standard Features Include: Teak laid Beach Deck and transom steps. Recessed guest seating forward of the mast. Twin Yanmar 27HP diesel sail drive engines. Choice of exotic wood finishes in saloon and staterooms. Electric windlass, electric main halyard winch, sails AM/FM/CD player, Raymarine deluxe instrument package.
Optional: Air-conditioning, 6KW generator, electronic entertainment package, leather upholstery, 40HP engines, VHF radio
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 15:14   #25
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Would you mind please clarifying some points.

1. Are you a commercial poster representing Prout?

2/ What connection exactly does Prout have to the English company Prout?
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 15:22   #26

Boat: C&C 40
Send a message via AIM to ldrhawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
Would you mind please clarifying some points.

1. Are you a commercial poster representing Prout?

2/ What connection exactly does Prout have to the English company Prout?
1)No connection what so ever. Went to the WEB page and thought the information would be of interest based on conversation.
2) have no idea
ldrhawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 00:30   #27
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Sorry - just me trying to sort out this company in my head.

Did they take tooling or something from the old Prout or did they just use the same name in some sort of passing off excercise ......

I thought that Broadblue was the carry over from Prout but maybe it split it two.
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 14:40   #28

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Ex MD of the Old Prout Company is Ron Underwood, now with Broadblue. He's a very genune chap and should be able to clear this heritage issue up.
The BB comes with sport or aft mast (Prout) rig. RU tells me there is not much differecne in performance it's more a matter of style and (previous mono) experience. Aft mast is much more uited to short handed sailing with lower sheet loads and reduced need to leave the cockpit. Goodluck.
Old 14-11-2009, 15:54   #29

Prout International has ceased production of the 45 and has decided to make the 50SW their smallest cat. I can provide some information on the new Prout as I intend to purchase a new 50' from their yard, and will be completeing a contract shortly. Having looked at some odd hundred used boats, this 50' boat is just to hard to pass on. By the way they are using all name brand everything... Doyle Sails, Onan Gen, Cruiseair, Harken, Raymarine, on and on. There is just about nothing on the boat option wise that is made in China. Except the Boat. LOL.
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 10:24   #30

North Passage - Care to give us a rough idea on what your cost is estimated to be?
nettlesbe is offline   Reply With Quote