Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 15:28   #31

Research the factory, not the brochure!

Prouts are new again on the scene and should prove interesting. The factory is doing all it can to stand up to any issues that arise from it's Chinese partners.
Leopards have a glossy brochure, look good at the dock, and are successful in the BVI charter market. Otherwise, don't go there as your kidneys will disapprove.
Lagoon has a good design, better than all the African cats, but you have to stay on top of the factory to ensure a good final product.
Outremer is retooling and may be the brass ring for the new generation. They're introducing a 49' cruiser/racer that's family friendly and all oceans ready.
My suggestion is to take the money and seriously look at the older Lagoon 55's or 57's and do a major refit. They are well built especially compared to todays run of the mill cats.... see Leopard.
Roc Chambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 04:54   #32

Quote:
Doyle Sails, Onan Gen, Cruiseair, Harken, Raymarine, on and on. There is just about nothing on the boat option wise that is made in China.
You may want to rethink that statement. I am willing to bet that a substantial amount of the components in "name brand products" are not made in the US.
Old 29-11-2009, 13:36   #33

Prout 45

I sailed a new Prout 45 from Fort Lauderdale to Newport last July. I have no idea of how she compares with others of same size regarding price and options. This is this is an extract of my report to the broker:

" I really like the layout and economies of volume , for instance the companionway to the stb hull is half the breath of the one in a lagoon 440 , for instance.The narrower passage makes sense and saves up space.I also like the nav station and the visiblity from the salon.The galley is very functional.

The rig seems well balanced and we at one point averaged 10 kts broad reaching with 2 reefs in the main and about half the jib , on 35 to 30kt winds, very steady.The hydraulic steering takes some getting used to.The reefing system , with both the topping lift and the reefing lines worked from the foot of the mast , can be a handful for a small (2) crew, and with the helmsman not being able to see the main sail at all.

The boat t handles really well under power but some people may say she's a little underpowered overall . On calm seas we averaged 5.5kts on one engine at 2600rpms.
If you run both engines at 3000 you can make 7 , it's all about efficiency ".
And taste!
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:47   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
You may want to rethink that statement. I am willing to bet that a substantial amount of the components in "name brand products" are not made in the US.

Ha! Very well... agreed.

As to the cost of the boat, there is a huge incentive to order the boat before it shows in the US. The price for the prout 50sw, with a comprehensive cruising outfit is $750,000 US. This price includes upgraded engine, max props, 12k gen. electronics, air con, and delivery to the US, and on and on and on. The price very shortly will go up by two hundred thousand give or take.
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 19:54   #35

Oh one other thing I guess I have two user names on here and I am not sure how to remove one... I am both North Passage and Northwind. For clarification I forgot the old username, made a new one and when I forgot my password, reset it with the old login??
Northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 21:01   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Other options!

Makes the Orana 44 look good value !
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 15:25   #37

Only 10kts with a broad reach and 30-35kts of wind... are you joking? That is so slow! Our Lagoon 47 would be screaming at twice that!
Old 14-12-2009, 16:45   #38

REAL GENUINE PROUT 50

Hi Guys,
The more that I read about this so-called Florida/Chinese "Prout" company, the more they come across as usurpers of the British Prout company of Canvey Island, Essex, England, United Kingdom. Reminds me of the days of when Japan labled products with "made in Birmingham"
Here is a picture of the British genuine real Prout 50 - which I am 'proud' to say I have sailed on - and can assert with confidence that in 30+ winds on a broad reach, it could comfortably manage 18 knots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KR5 Brochure STD 2.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	11726  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 17:19   #39
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Chambeau View Post
Only 10kts with a broad reach and 30-35kts of wind... are you joking? That is so slow! Our Lagoon 47 would be screaming at twice that!
Hard to beleave it could do 20 knots, --but i suppose you would know!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 07:38   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Hard to beleave it could do 20 knots, --but i suppose you would know!
Yep, they don't build 'em like they used to. We've enjoyed many 5 hour runs at 13-14kts, broadreach, full sail, and 25kts true, and didn't spill a drink! Sure, it stresses the rig, but it beats sittin' on the sofa.. But- any sailor will know that 35kts of wind will make for some nice swells and fine downwind sailing/surfing.... 20kts in those conditions, (unsustained and while surfing) is not unimaginable. Cats, like hats, are not all built the same... "eye of the beholder, eh".
Old 23-12-2009, 05:47   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Chambeau View Post
Yep, they don't build 'em like they used to. We've enjoyed many 5 hour runs at 13-14kts, broadreach, full sail, and 25kts true, and didn't spill a drink! Sure, it stresses the rig, but it beats sittin' on the sofa.. But- any sailor will know that 35kts of wind will make for some nice swells and fine downwind sailing/surfing.... 20kts in those conditions, (unsustained and while surfing) is not unimaginable. Cats, like hats, are not all built the same... "eye of the beholder, eh".
That's already a bit different then "we would be screaming at twice that speed". I imagine you never actually sailed at 20kts under 35kts of true wind.
Anyway , the Lagoon 470 can not be , in my opinion , compared to the Prout 46 or even to any of the modern Lagoons , it's far superior regarding performance .It's true that "they don't build them like they used to" only because people want to carry their house onto their boat and performance comes a far second to space and "confort".
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 06:39   #42

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I went for the little 31 foot 30 yr old Prout.
Three double cabins, dining room for up to 12, easy sailing, small cockpit.
The proper full size Snowgoose's geeses? are worth a look, ocean capable, storm survivors time after time, good ride at up to eight knots. Any boat will start to fall/leap of the top of waves soon after 8 kts, which is fine for a half days sport but not suited to overnight trips.
I'm 6'3" and almost stand upright in the galley, and sit down in the saloon.
With lads on board I prefer the galley in a side area, where they can be banned.
And the old Prout's still sell at the same price they were as new. Very little if the boat was sound (Survey) and stay's sound.
You can make good money doing up a tatty one, but you'd rather be sailing.
Old 10-06-2019, 20:23   #43

Boat: Oyster 42
Re: The New Prout 45

Hoping respondents are still around for this conversation. Am interested in the purchase of an older Prout/Broadblue 46 and am interested in whether it is easily sailed by a couple, slamming, major faults and issues of concern.
Waihaka is offline   Reply With Quote