Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 17:09   #16

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: The Prout Debate

80k sterling seems like a pretty small budget for a blue-water capable live-aboard cruiser, particularly a catamaran. Bear in mind that if a particular design of boat is typically significantly more expensive, and you see a cheap one, it is almost certainly going to need plenty of money spent on it to get it up to scratch. And as a general rule of thumb, the older the boat, the more of its systems are going to need significant work / replacement to get them up to scratch. What I'm saying is that there aren't really many genuine bargains out there... cheap boats are usually cheap for a reason.

ME; I have no experience with Prouts at all, so I shouldn't even be commenting. Nevertheless, If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a boat that is no more than 20 years old, tops, preferably 15 years old or less. I'd be wanting to pay no more than 60k sterling on the purchase, on the premise that you will spend a big chunk of money on the boat, after purchase, to bring it up to scratch, even is it is only 15 years old.

On that basis I'd be looking for boats from 1995-ish or later where the typical purchase price is not much more than 60k sterling (assume a little bit of wiggle-room to bargain them down a bit). If that means you are looking at 35 foot monohulls instead of 45 foot catamarans, it is still a more realistic plan than hoping to find some super-duper one-in-a million bargain.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 18:26   #17

Boat: prout 37 cat
Send a message via Skype™ to jomac1

gday joben so your after a prout I may have just the one you are after .its a snowgoose elite [centrepiece of London boat show 1988] shipped across to Malaysia 1989 and been here ever since only 3 owners .has a new 460hrs 3 cyl yanmar always serviced , hard top bimini cockpit,solar panels, no leaks at all been away for 5 months and had a lot of rain here , no osmosis ,everything works perfectly ,has 2 garmin gps radar 2 autopilots depth sounder tv stereo ,Suzuki 20hp [get home spare motor ] quick silver dingy good cond with a 3 hp Yamaha ,rigging replaced 3 years ago ,needs new main[ original] new one will be supplied I never use it ,repainted 3 years ago just been sailing back and forth langkawi and Thailand,fridge freezer [solar panels] 3 battery banks 1 start 1 power 1 fridge boat is in langkawi [duty free island] take care joe McDonnell ps cant seem to add photos on website [old man new tech] can be contacted on why-eye@hotmail.com
jomac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 19:31   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
In your price range, the monohull suggestion is not a bad one. A good survey is, of course, required on any used boat purchase and you may be able to find a Prout that has had all deck hardware removed, any core damage repaired and then had the hardware properly re-bedded. Some other boats to consider (if you can find one): Solaris Sunstar 36 (an Erik Lerouge design that is very much a smaller version of the Manta). Solaris Sunstream 40 (extended aft from a design by JR (Rod) MacAlpine-Downie), better bridgdeck clearance and performance than a Prout. Catalac 10 and 12 m. Dated design but solid glass with better bridgedeck clearance than a Prout. PDQ 36 (well built with decent performance, alhtough I am not sure that I would want to circumnavigate in one). Brad
Coincidently, our old Solaris Sunstar 36 may be coming on the market at a good price. If anyone is interested let me know. We sold the boat to the current owner maybe three years ago and she was in really good shape when we sold her so she may be a good purchase for someone.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 20:09   #19

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Coincidently, our old Solaris Sunstar 36 may be coming on the market at a good price. If anyone is interested let me know. We sold the boat to the current owner maybe three years ago and she was in really good shape when we sold her so she may be a good purchase for someone.
Always interested!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 00:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I would be interested if and when it comes up for sale. My girlfriend used to have a Solaris 42 and loved it, although it had modifications to the hulls and no forward berth, meaning it had a huge saloon, which is what we would prefer. However, it seems like a mediocre cat is way more expensive than our apartment, so beggars and choosers etc.
Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 01:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
80k sterling seems like a pretty small budget for a blue-water capable live-aboard cruiser, particularly a catamaran. Bear in mind that if a particular design of boat is typically significantly more expensive, and you see a cheap one, it is almost certainly going to need plenty of money spent on it to get it up to scratch. And as a general rule of thumb, the older the boat, the more of its systems are going to need significant work / replacement to get them up to scratch. What I'm saying is that there aren't really many genuine bargains out there... cheap boats are usually cheap for a reason.

ME; I have no experience with Prouts at all, so I shouldn't even be commenting. Nevertheless, If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a boat that is no more than 20 years old, tops, preferably 15 years old or less. I'd be wanting to pay no more than 60k sterling on the purchase, on the premise that you will spend a big chunk of money on the boat, after purchase, to bring it up to scratch, even is it is only 15 years old.

On that basis I'd be looking for boats from 1995-ish or later where the typical purchase price is not much more than 60k sterling (assume a little bit of wiggle-room to bargain them down a bit). If that means you are looking at 35 foot monohulls instead of 45 foot catamarans, it is still a more realistic plan than hoping to find some super-duper one-in-a million bargain.
Thanks, I have more experience with monohulls and may have to fall back on one in the end but 60k for a 35 foot? That seems like a lot. I have seen ready to go monos in apparantly good shape and very well fitted out (not done surveys) for almost half that. I would not be keen to spend the next few years on one though.
Old 17-12-2013, 01:16   #22

I agree that the Dutch Nimble looks good, but as seems to be the case with a few of the boats, it has been re-posted by many brokers and I think it has been sold, the brokers just don't de-list them.

Anyway, this weekend we are going to see a Escale in Gran Canaria which will almost definitely work out too expensive, and by all accounts, not a good boat either, but we have decided to have a look anyway because we live close by. In January we will go to the UK to visit brokers along the South Coast.

There are a lot of snowgooses (snowgeese?) up fpr 50-60k that claim to be recently re-fitted etc. That would leave us room to get the boat to where we wanted it assuming that it is structurally sound and has a decent set of sails, which many of them do. If the only sacrifice for this is a bit of a bumpy crossing in heavy seas, think we can deal with that to gain the space and open-ness of a catamaran.
Old 17-12-2013, 02:40   #23
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Why are you looking at those dated designs. Shop for an ex-charter FP Mahe 36 (recent one was sold for $136k or lower (this one) but have cash in hand and make serious offer - they sell very quickly.

I still cannot forgive myself for not bidding for ex-dealer showcase Mahe 36 on Ebay - sold for EUR100k and was tip-top.
Good luck.
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 03:18   #24

As another poster has advised you'd probably be better off on a mono hull. Everyone that I have ever known has underestimated the cost to refit a yacht to ocean standards and on your budget you won't have adequate funds. The newer the model is when you buy the higher the cost and the older the model is the higher your refit costs. Get a good quality mono hull rather than a marginal multi and enjoy yourself, it will be cheaper to maintain as well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 03:34   #25

I may have to go monohull in the end but i have to explore all cat options first.
Old 17-12-2013, 04:09   #26

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post
Why are you looking at those dated designs. Shop for an ex-charter FP Mahe 36 (recent one was sold for $136k or lower (this one) but have cash in hand and make serious offer - they sell very quickly.

I still cannot forgive myself for not bidding for ex-dealer showcase Mahe 36 on Ebay - sold for EUR100k and was tip-top.
Good luck.
I wonder how much it cost in the end. Spoke to a guy who purchased an ex charter 380 for 140, he said it cost him another 80k to get the boat right. Nothng wrong with an older prout, dont let me scare you from them. All boats 10 or more years old will have some moisture issues somewhere. Its not a huge deal total delam is a bigger deal. I didnt
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 04:11   #27

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVI View Post

Good luck.
I wonder how much it cost in the end. Spoke to a guy who purchased an ex charter 380 for 140, he said it cost him another 80k to get the boat right. Nothng wrong with an older prout, dont let me scare you from them. All boats 10 or more years old will have some moisture issues somewhere. Its not a huge deal total delam is a bigger deal. I would just avoid the escale's. A well kept snowgoose or sg elite could be a bargainoull enjoy for years ... there is a catalac 12m in Nc,US, for close to 100k us. Looks really nice and comfy.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 05:18   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Just received an email from the owner of our old Solaris Sunstar 36. He wants to sell but hasn't put it with a broker yet. Someone could probably get this boat for a great deal if purchased before going to the broker. If someone is seriously interested pm me for owners contact info.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 05:44   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Prout Debate

In '06 I bought a 2001 Beneteau 331 for $60,000 from Moorings.. sailed her to St Martin and fitted her out with a made to measure stainless solar/dinghy arch, solar panel, dinghy, 5hp outboard, wind gen and a couple of other things for $10K more.. and she was ready to sail to Europe..
If you buy in the WI.. head for St Martin to fit out..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:15   #30

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben View Post
I may have to go monohull in the end but i have to explore all cat options first.
Have you given Wharram's a look? Maybe not luxurious by today's standards, but good, seaworthy boats that should fit in your budget. I'd hate to see you go mono on us.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote