Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 19:05   #46

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: The right fishing reel for sail cruising

This is it. Cheap, effective, infinitely sensitive drag, self lubricated, non corrosion, and the easiest and most practical to store and use on a sailboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20190705115906.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	195346  
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 20:21   #47

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

… it’s not actually this one. But we’re planning to get the modern version, which looks surprisingly like the traditional one:

I used one of those fishing the Cape Cod Ship Canal when I was in 2nd grade. The Cuban Yoyo is larger and easier to use. But to each, his own.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 20:48   #48

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ah, but with sugar scoop transoms its not hard to drag a fish aboard...and I can run a spread of 5 rods w no outriggers! [emoji41]

...and have plenty of room for light tackle casting at anchor. I can even fly cast from the foredeck!
I don't think any sailboat is a decent platform for fishing, no matter how many hulls. But we do our best with what we have. If you want a decent fishing boat, use your hard-sided dingy. (Never fish from an inflatable. Everything has sharp fins, chutes, spines, and teeth.)
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:48   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
I don't think any sailboat is a decent platform for fishing, no matter how many hulls. But we do our best with what we have. If you want a decent fishing boat, use your hard-sided dingy. (Never fish from an inflatable. Everything has sharp fins, chutes, spines, and teeth.)
Sailboats are not designed for fishing thus not optimized for that use, but Ive done a lot of fishing off sailing cats...as sailboats go its a pretty good option.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:02   #50

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I think it's a lot easier to fish from a sailboat with a large spinning reel set-up, rather than a conventional level-wind reel. Very large spinning reels have come a long way in recent years, and I have one with about 45 pounds of drag, and carries about 550 yards of 60 pound braided line. The balance is better, and it's a lot easier to "one hand" a spinning set-up I believe. https://www.tackledirect.com/shimano...ing-reels.html
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I use a very old Penn Senator 9/0 with 80# mono and a crappy old heavy boat rod. Rod in rod holder, drag set light, squiddy or cedar plug. Attach a safety line to the rod. You must do at least 6.5 knots. If you are in the Caribbean the Sargassum will drive you mad. Down wind is tough to slow down. You pretty well have to pinch up to slow down. If it’s really big you will have to decide about shortening sail. Use smaller lures to attract smaller fish. Wear and use a harness!
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25   #52

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Fishing from a sail boat I prefer a spinning reel. No backlash.
I run a Shimano SW 8000 with Power Pro micro-filament braided line, 60 lb Test, about 250 yds. on a Shakespeare Tiger Ugly Stick. I troll and cast with this setup.
Can easily catch fish over 100 lbs.
I always kill bigger fish before I bring them in the boat. They can do too much damage thrashing around,,,especially sharp toothed ones like Wahoo. If you turn a fish upside down it paralyzes it ( Tonic immobility ).
Sequence is: Reel fish in. With rod in the rod holder as needed. Gaff or net it. Kill it. Bring it on board. Clean and fillet. Eat.
Fishing from a moving Sail boat is a food gathering activity, not a sport. You don't need to be fair, you only need to win.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 15:49   #53

Boat: Oyster 56

Yes. But the 5 1/2” works well in Australasia. Tuna, Spanish mackerel, . Very durable and less likely to hurt you than a big Rapala.
It’s good if boat sails in the 5-6knot range. Boone bird and squid lure combo outperforms it in the 7-8knot range.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:28   #54

Boat: Island Packet 40

Be mindful that the fish neither knows nor cares what's on the non bait end of the line. So what might be best is the hand reel for actually catching fish and the biggest chrome-e-est reel for displaying in the rod rack.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:30   #55

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Be mindful that the fish neither knows nor cares what's on the non bait end of the line. So what might be best is the hand reel for actually catching fish and the biggest chrome-e-est reel for displaying in the rod rack.
Hand lines are great, but for running lighter tackle you need a reel. (I have both)
Old 09-07-2019, 13:12   #56

There’s a book on Amazon about fishing from a sailboat, and it cautions against a pole a d reel, because there is no fighting chair or other way to strap in. You may lose your gear or worse, fall overboard in a rolly sea. Plus too many obstacles, such as shrouds, David’s, etc. Hand reel is the alternative.
websailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:57   #57

Boat: Horstman 38 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
10 inch hand caster, rope, 100lb mono
Attached to boat with bicycle tube to take the hit
Trolled like that for 30+ years.

I looked on the Internet and can't seem to find where to buy this hand reel. Any Ideas. It is very compact and sailing to Alaska in the Inside Passage next year it would great to have it trolling for dinner.
Puget Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:25   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puget Dan View Post
I looked on the Internet and can't seem to find where to buy this hand reel. Any Ideas. It is very compact and sailing to Alaska in the Inside Passage next year it would great to have it trolling for dinner.

I believe they are also called "cuban yo-yos" in some places. You might try also searching that name as well-

Just as an example - there are other better quality, heavier duty, ones for your purposes https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/offs...er-cuban-yo-yo
Old 10-07-2019, 12:29   #59

Also - this is an article regarding them - https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...s_11791-1.html
Old 11-07-2019, 11:57   #60

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

https://wavetrain.net/2013/02/04/fis...e-bait-trolls/
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fish, fishing, sail