Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2019, 14:31   #76

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: The right fishing reel for sail cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
I'm a tightwad.
NO! you choose to use your money differently than other people.

Tightwad is a pejorative statement that translates "Use your money as i think you should"

enuf said

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 18:35   #77

We use the Penn Senator, would not buy anything els... they work like new after about 5 years with zero maintenance....
Louis Raduly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
I fully endorse this approach to fishing while sailing. Rods and reels are a pain.
Very very true. Simple, effective and as a lot of good folks have said it here "it's catching, not fishing".
Gin-N-Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 00:06   #79

Boat: Fontaine Pagot Helia Evolution 44

Dear Cruising Brothers and Sisters:
year and a half later--UPDATE
Thanks again for all the love you gave
now one of you turned me onto a reel (definitely more expensive, sorry) but I freakin LOVE it-it aint a $1000 Tuna reel, but as close as I'm going to get, pretty darn Shimano bulletproof. Let me know anyone disagrees, this thing is big and awesome, and I've seen my daughter pull in a crazy huge fish with the high torque shift on the fly switch--ideal when you have a strong braid on. Give any who might benefit a fish fighting belt (even with shoulder harness if they need) and this reel allows some pretty regular small people to get some pretty spectacular fish:
SHIMANO TLD 50 II LRS A 2 SPEED Trolling Multiplier Offshore TLD50IILRSA

just wanted to pass on anything I like this much--as always thanks to my brothers and sisters--you can tell we're the real deal by our posts, and by the way the other one I loved was the Penn, which was the less pricey exact competition, do love it but wore out parts twice already...like I said if you got $400 bucks this one is bulletproof...

and sorry my bro and sis, don't hate on me...I just am a bad fit for the YoYo..probably too old...but God Love all of you who can rock it and not almost cut yourself, I mean that!!

If anyone has any idea of ANY reel for that money better, say it because I always want to steer folks right
Catamaranbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 00:10   #80

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Caught a tonne of mackerel and tuna (literally) on what you call a yo yo.
Drag them around for a bit and they give up the fight
If speed is up above about 7 knots they skate along the surface.
My wife can manage to pull them in, big ones might need me and a gaff.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 09:45   #81

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaranbliss View Post
Let me know anyone disagrees, this thing is big and awesome, and I've seen my daughter pull in a crazy huge fish with the high torque shift on the fly switch--ideal when you have a strong braid on. Give any who might benefit a fish fighting belt (even with shoulder harness if they need) and this reel allows some pretty regular small people to get some pretty spectacular fish:
SHIMANO TLD 50 II LRS A 2 SPEED Trolling Multiplier Offshore TLD50IILRSA

like I said if you got $400 bucks this one is bulletproof...

I just am a bad fit for the YoYo..probably too old...but God Love all of you who can rock it and not almost cut yourself, I mean that!!

If anyone has any idea of ANY reel for that money better, say it because I always want to steer folks right
The TDL reels are great. If I troll with a rod, I use one.
But many cruisers are not crossing oceans to "play" or "fight" fish for sport. To me, anything large enough to need a harness is an undesirable; even a nuisance.

As you said, to each her/his own. During night passages, I like a yoyo. And yoyos are not dangerous as long as you never use the new braided lines. The new braids CAN cut and should only be used with rod and reel by someone experienced enough to know that a loop around a finger can mean an ugly amputation.
400 pound mono works great on a yoyo, but will never be suitable for a rod and reel.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, fish, fishing, sail