Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 15:41   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: This Thing is a Monster...but I Like it

I've run into brain damaged water cops everywhere. Worse since 911 and NSA with unlimited FED fund subsidies of boarder states. County and city cops with 900 HP outboards, big guns, big attitudes and little or no training. The only professionals are CG. In Cleveland, city cops tried to 'pull everyone over' 5 minutes into a Cleveland race week regatta for inspections. We told them it was a sanctioned race event. They said, 'don't care'. We collectively fold them how & where to get ******. I had a county Sheriff on Long Lake try to stop me on my Tornado Cat while flying a hull, jib, main & kite. I told him he could see my life jacket (on me). I told him to buzz off or follow and talk from a safe distance because I wasn't stopping. Moron Sheriff on a small inland lake up here drove over a ski tow rope, dragged the vessel backwards and swamped it. Ohio finally enacted a law to prevent harassment by non-fed enforcement. Mostly here in Michigan, they leave the big guys alone. There are plenty of small boats with too many passengers and too few jackets. They also finally learned (most of them) that documented vessels may not display state numbers. That took a while.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:59   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sand crab, what I was able to learn about the builder Van Helleman was that he built a series of long range motor sailors like mine from 55 to 105ft.

All based on the same design concept of tough, overbuilt pilothouse structure and systems and a warm teak interior.
My own 65ft was originally built for a ship owner and I can see the commercial solutions in her fit-out

Here are some photos of a 72ft example I found

He also built a coastal range.

I can’t say for sure if this Tri has ballast, but given her 12 trans-atlantics I would still bet she has

My own has a long box keel which is filled with Zinc Ignots and cemented over.

Also mine was originally skin cooled for main Engine and Gen so has a large box area (about 2/3rds ) of bottom being double hulled. It is now raw water cooled and box is filled with oil.

Personally, I love the bowsprit as it is such a strong box structure that will handle any forestay stresses and would be a battering ram in a collision.

It is a very secure place for doing anchor work.

I don’t like that aft Transom deck extension, (which mine does not have) but I think that was specified on some whose Owner's did a lot of Med Docking and wanted comfortable pier access.

Having owned mine for 10 years, I can say that she is very well built and when I look at how she was originally built in 1983 and how it has performed, there is not much I would criticise.
In my opinion, this builder knew what he was doing.

Now, back to the Tri... I hope David shares as much as he can about what he finds out about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 2168_g.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	74032   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 2168_r.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	74033  

Name:	3 2168_a.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	74034   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Launch 0041.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	74035  

Name:	1 Bowspirit DSC_0042.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	74036   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 anchor bridal DSC_0062.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	74037  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 17:14   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35

Thanks all for all the info. I am still undecided about the boat, and I think I will go to take a look at it (not yet, see below).

I am looking for a comfortable boat to live aboard for several years, so speed is not my main concern. Of course it is more comfortable to be able to out run a storm than be stuck out in one, so everything is relative.

One of the biggest things I like about this boat is the wood work interior (and exterior). It is an amazing looking boat, and it is in my price range (even more so if I were to get it for 125-150 as suggested).

So I see it's benefits, and it's drawbacks. I think a visit and maybe trying it out for a week would help.

Before any of that can happen though, I still have to sell my house. Once that happens I will be on the phone with the broker making an appointment to see it (along with a few others that have caught my eye). And I will follow the advice given that before I put in an offer I will have a cat/tri designer to give their advice on it.

PS. When I do go see it I will let everyone know what I learn.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 17:53   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Check air draft if you have ANY intention of doing the ICW.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 18:29   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Check air draft if you have ANY intention of doing the ICW.
check bridge clearance too.

What a great looking boat - a real head-turner.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 16:52   #51

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I've been asking about this boat and there's just something very odd about the sale... It's listed by a greek broker as well : they say that this boat is definitely not for sale at the price asked by the other broker!
I thought they were two different boats from the picture (sister ships)... but on some they are the same, on some they're different!

Here's the link to the other (?) trimaran :

International Yachts Sales and Charters. > Yachts Brokerage, Multihull Yachts for sale in Greece > Dutch Steel Trimaran

This is all very odd. If anyone has a theory on that I'll take it!
hanslamitraille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 19:28   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 323

I think your question is a different boat, The boat that is under discussion was in Central America and has a different color scheme. I was interested in this one under discussion but my Admiral in the future adventure insists on galley up and I want the redundancy of 2 drivetrains. I REALLY liked the safety offered by the steel hull although would be concerned about the wind needed to sail.
Jerry Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 19:56   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
....mine was originally skin cooled for main Engine and Gen so has a large box area (about 2/3rds ) of bottom being double hulled. It is now raw water cooled and box is filled with oil.

Was this done during your ownership?

Care to fill in the backstory?

(Just curious, always on the prowl for marine engineering learning opportunities)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 20:16   #54
CF Adviser

Was done by a previous owner when they repowered. My guess is that they found skin cooling less effective in the tropics
Old 21-03-2014, 21:13   #55

I thought you might say that.

Thanks a lot, Pelagic !

ON EDIT:

Interesting that they went from closed circuit to raw water, though...

If you were in cooler climes, would you possibly change back?
Old 21-03-2014, 21:45   #56
CF Adviser

Absolutely.. It really lends itself to operating in shallow waters that have lots of debris. That is why it is popular in Holland for steel boats in their canals and inland seas.
Having an integrally built in closed system means even if your keel is stuck in the mud you can keep using engine power and rudder to wriggle off
Old 21-03-2014, 22:02   #57

Regarding the OP boat, which strikes me as more of a monohull with tunnels, than a true multihull ....

If it's not ballasted, I guess the ease of reaching the angle of vanishing stability could be a worry, and it would certainly stay inverted.

The other disadvantage with respect to a similar sized monohull would be much greater wetted surface, it seems to me...
Old 21-03-2014, 23:58   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Schwab View Post
I think your question is a different boat, The boat that is under discussion was in Central America and has a different color scheme. I was interested in this one under discussion but my Admiral in the future adventure insists on galley up and I want the redundancy of 2 drivetrains. I REALLY liked the safety offered by the steel hull although would be concerned about the wind needed to sail.
Jerry I did check carefully on the picture, and they are some tiny details (objects for example, certain flaws on the woodwork, etc.) that confirmed me it's like the same boat but at different time!

Initially I thought they were different too. But both brokers say they are in Central america. I'm new to the boat selling system, but maybe some brokers are keeping stuff in their lists as they don't have exclusivity anymore.

Cross check again the pics on both ads (if you're interested in doing so) and you'll see.

Here's ANOTHER link where it's sold at the older price :

BoatNet - Offres yachts - Holland-Trimaran

My guess : these are older ads, back then the owner wanted more for it.
hanslamitraille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 08:05   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I agree that they are the same boat. They have the same engine and generator. The masts look the same with mast steps and radar unit. The Greek brokers version has a mainsail mast furler but that is missing (removed) from the BVI one. And then there is this from the BVI ad.
"In 2012, the main sail travel system was replaced by a Lazy Jack System as well as the main sail itself. A new beem by Seldén and a SIMRAD auto pilot were installed, the tender exchanged for a new one, including a new outboarder. A flexible sunsail system with sides and windows to be zipped on and off was added for extra protection against sun, wind and rain in the main cockpit area."
That royal blue on the hull transoms is the same. If you look at the inside helm pics then you will notice 2 small round instruments (clock, barometer?) above the forward window on the port side. These are in exactly the same position on both boats. Some of the electronics have been changed which is noted in the newer listing. Also interesting that both ads claim this is a 21 year old one owner boat. Now that's a coincidence.

So my advice is to buy this exact same boat from the cheaper listing broker. BVI Yacht Sales has a good rep.

And Pelagic, I hope it doesn't have ballast. That steel hull is all you need.
Old 22-03-2014, 08:20   #60
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I
And Pelagic, I hope it doesn't have ballast. That steel hull is all you need.
Now that I think about it, I agree. Mine is a mono with a fairly large rig