Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2013, 17:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Lightbulb Tiller Steering and Outboard Motors

Hi forum!
I've been thinking about my next boat for quite some time now, and I methodically listed all the elements I wanted to see (or not to see) on it. But is everything I want compatible?
I'd like a cat (a cruising cat, between 35 and 42 feet). I'd also like a tiller steering system. Is that even compatible? Is there any cruising cat that offers this option? Maybe it's a plain dumb idea, as I cannot remember any cat with a tiller other than the smaller racing cats like the hobie cat.

Second, I'd also like to have no inboard motor, and have instead 2 "drop off" outboard engines (that would be inside the hull, and are out of the water when not in use, dropped inside the water whenever needed).

So ,does this boat exists? And if not, is there any excellent reason not to make one like this?

Regarding these 2 points, the idea isn't to open a debate. I researched extensively about both points and I have my reasons to want to do what I want to do. The question is whether it is possible to do so on a catamaran or not, or should I keep my brilliant ideas on a mono hull.

THANKS
decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 18:37   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by decca View Post
Hi forum!
I've been thinking about my next boat for quite some time now, and I methodically listed all the elements I wanted to see (or not to see) on it. But is everything I want compatible?
I'd like a cat (a cruising cat, between 35 and 42 feet). I'd also like a tiller steering system. Is that even compatible? Is there any cruising cat that offers this option? Maybe it's a plain dumb idea, as I cannot remember any cat with a tiller other than the smaller racing cats like the hobie cat.

Second, I'd also like to have no inboard motor, and have instead 2 "drop off" outboard engines (that would be inside the hull, and are out of the water when not in use, dropped inside the water whenever needed).

So ,does this boat exists? And if not, is there any excellent reason not to make one like this?

Regarding these 2 points, the idea isn't to open a debate. I researched extensively about both points and I have my reasons to want to do what I want to do. The question is whether it is possible to do so on a catamaran or not, or should I keep my brilliant ideas on a mono hull.

THANKS
I have seen a couple of older Shuttleworth 35's that have both tiller and outboards. Some of the Lerouge designed Azulis came with this configuration as well as maybe some of the older Outremers. An older Catana 39 may have tillers but probably diesels and saildrives.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 18:39   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: tiller steering and outboard motors

That tiller will need to be very long, to control the cat; not practical. As far as the engines are concerned...linking the two, the way you want it is not a good idea either; you may not have the time to lower your engines and link them in an emergency. Sorry!

Mauritz
Old 29-06-2013, 18:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Check out the Sig 45 for the tillers.

You can build anything you want!
Old 29-06-2013, 18:47   #5
smj

[QUOTE="Teknav;1273631"]That tiller will need to be very long, to control the cat; not practical. As far as the engines are concerned...linking the two, the way you want it is not a good idea either; you may not have the time to lower your engines and link them in an emergency. Sorry!

Mauritz[/

Shouldn't be a need to link the engines as there are two and no need to link to the tillers?
Old 29-06-2013, 18:48   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya BoatGuy! Yes, you can build anything you want; no argument from me. The "force/muscle power" needed to control a cat's steering is very high; hence a tiller is not recommended.

Mauritz
Old 29-06-2013, 18:50   #7

Boat: Mac 26X

Yeah I don't see how you'd get a tiller system to work like you want in that boat. I have a tiller at the aft beam that is for the AP and I can use it to steer, plus both my rudders have tillers, but I wouldn't want to do that all the time. It's in the wrong place to see in a cat (IMO). I love my wheel up high and forward enough to see the corners of the boat.

The outboards are the best bet for a cat (again IMO) so nothing odd there.

You might ask around about the OBs in the hull, I know 2 guys with big expensive cats that spent a ton of cash getting them out of the hulls and under the bridgedeck.

As was said, if you want to build it yourself, then you can have anything you want.
Old 29-06-2013, 18:54   #8
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya BoatGuy! Yes, you can build anything you want; no argument from me. The "force/muscle power" needed to control a cat's steering is very high; hence a tiller is not recommended.

Mauritz
A well designed cat should have a pretty neutral helm. Would seem tillers should work fine. There may be an issue of reduced visibility or no protection from the elements with tiller steering.
Old 29-06-2013, 18:54   #9

The Catana 39S has tillers. The Shuttleworth cats in the 30 foot range have O/B. Older Gemini cats have O/B

Here's a video of some people struggling to steer their 39S ;-) Check out their various videos

tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 18:55   #10
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
The Catana 39S has tillers. The Shuttleworth cats in the 30 foot range have O/B. Older Gemini cats have O/B

Here's a video of some people struggling to steer their 39S ;-) Check out their various videos

Great videos. We made an offer on that boat before the people bought her and took her to California.
Old 29-06-2013, 19:02   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

the sig 45... nice to dream, but not really what I can afford. Any affordable production cat with tiller steering? Regarding the engines, I was more wondering whether there is a system (that I would not have to create and design from A to Z) that exists for catamarans to power them with "inboard" outboards (keeping the outboard inside the hull, and lifting it up and down through a hole. I know of something like that for monohulls.
decca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 19:03   #12

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
the sig 45... nice to dream, but not really what I can afford. Any affordable production cat with tiller steering? Regarding the engines, I was more wondering whether there is a system (that I would not have to create and design from A to Z) that exists for catamarans to power them with "inboard" outboards (keeping the outboard inside the hull, and lifting it up and down through a hole. I know of something like that for monohulls.
Yes, it's fairly common, but not without issues.
Old 29-06-2013, 19:16   #13
smj

Quote:
That probably worked well for the older monos with a long overhanging stern as the bottom of the outboard well would be above the waterline. Makes for a problem in a cat as the exit for the outboard well would be below the waterline and cause a lot of turbulence and drag. No question, outboards mounted under the bridgedeck is probably the best location.
Old 29-06-2013, 19:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
That tiller will need to be very long, to control the cat; not practical. As far as the engines are concerned...linking the two, the way you want it is not a good idea either; you may not have the time to lower your engines and link them in an emergency. Sorry!

Mauritz
No the tiller should be fine. Plenty of big powerful boats have tillers - eg Outremer. and why would you need to link the engines? I have two outboards, not linked, takes literally a second or two to lower them.

Quote:

Mauritz
Not so.

To the OP - have a look at Jeff Schionnings designs particularly wilderness series - I know of a 40 foot wilderness that has two outboards and tillers, beaut boat to sail
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 21:16   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

On the issue of tillers not working on cats, try an Outremer 5x - a big powerful boat - easily steered by tiller and beautiful carbon sticks they are as well.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, steering