Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 10:17   #16

Good sailors transcend their current hull designs.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:28   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Voyage 500, Silent Faith
This is a multihull board,,,,,why are there opinionated mono guys stating their two cents,,,unless they are closet multi wannabes,,,yea , thats it.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Personally, I don't like multihulls Mono hulls. I've seen too many of catamarans and trimerans fixed keelers upside down in racing events sink at sea with moderate to heavy wind. Yes, I realize that racing is different than cruising, but I've always been glad to have a heavy keel beneath me that will right the boat if I do broach. not have a heavy keel that will drag me to the bottom of the sea I also prefer the motion of a monohull multihull in anything but calm seasinvolving down wind or an anchorage. Cats are just too stiff and have a very jerky motion. Monos just get the death rolls downwind and I cant sleep in them at anchor. I realize it's all personal preference, but just as I'm not going to convince you from this post, you won't convince me. I just wanted to point out some of the cat mono downsides. Besides, I do like the look of a classic looking monohull modern cutting edge tri (such as my Fortune 30 Idec ) much more than any catmono. But if you're happy with cats monos, then go...have fun. I'll share a beer at aa harbor or safe anchorage.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:08   #19

Craig, this seems to be an invitation to respond? If you don't want the $.02, then don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Now i know I am preaching to the converted but you Mono guys ought to have a rethink and understand WHY multihulls are so popular if you want a women on board.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:09   #20

Hey Factor, you going to sell Corsairs now?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:11   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig boorman View Post
This is a multihull board
No it's not.

Quote:
,,,,,why are there opinionated mono guys stating their two cents,,,unless they are closet multi wannabes,,,yea , thats it.
I guess it's folks just being friendly

(and seems to me that the posts have been treading on egg shells in case anyone (who may or may not have a multihull ) throws a hissy fit and the toys start leaving the pram. again. But, if it helps anyone to meet their "I am offended" needs then am perfectly happy to help by PM On pretty much any subject ).

BTW you Multiholers have still not put me off maybe one day buying a Cat if one meets my needs at that time (or even lottery winning permitable a ginourmous f#ck off sized waterworld style Tri ) - despite my fear that doing so will entail my brain turning into a turnip.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:16   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I have owned a couple of mono's in the past but I am now a convert to multi's and last weekend I was invited out for a local bay race in a friend's mono. An Adams 36 ft. which is a good boat design for it time. (compare Cal 36)
We actually won the race probably because of my weight on the gunwhale However what shocked me was how time and technology has changed boating, for the better.
Back in the 80's we thought this boat was the "ducks nuts" now it is slow, uncomfortable and not very practical.
With a six foot draft we spent all day avoiding sandbars and reefs we couldn't see.
Ok for the boys full of beer and bad manners.
Down below smelt of diesel and bilge.
Try cooking in there tilted at 30 degrees or sleeping?(that was why we needed the beer)
Upwind was Ok but downwind all we did was roll from side to side,slowly.
No wonder women don't like mono's and love multihulls.

Now i know I am preaching to the converted but you Mono guys ought to have a rethink and understand WHY multihulls are so popular if you want a women on board.
I think the 'Woman on Board' is more to do with the skippers charms than his inability to balance on one hull.....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
since the OP was meant to be provocative ...

it's worth taking a look at the current Carib 1,500 standings:

<trackerhome1500rally2010>

Monos (Jeanneaus, Beneteaus, Macgregor 65 and - gasp - a Gozzard 44) are eating up the course while the multis all seem to be stuggling to hold their own. We observed much the same thing last year.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34   #24
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
I thought this had to do with technology, not the favours of a particular design.

I suppose if you are the kind of sailor that typically thinks heeling at 30 degrees while cruising will somehow make your boat faster, when in actuality it makes it slower, and complains about cooking at that angle instead of balancing it correctly - this threads for you.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:37   #25
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Any body read about another tall ship sinking? Over 100' with no sail up, gets knocked down and sank. There was a thread about it somewhere on cf but none of the multi hullers took the opportunity to voice their opinion on it. Guess this is common practice for a monohull and no big news
Old 10-11-2010, 09:08   #26

I can't recall any mono guys mentioning Tony's boat floating uspside down in Cape Finistre either. Cheesy smile back at ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Any body read about another tall ship sinking? Over 100' with no sail up, gets knocked down and sank. There was a thread about it somewhere on cf but none of the multi hullers took the opportunity to voice their opinion on it. Guess this is common practice for a monohull and no big news
Old 10-11-2010, 09:14   #27
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Tonys boat was an on the edge racer, fly a hull with 5 kits. Of wind, hobie on steroids. Big difference between that and a tall ship. Different cheesy smile back atya
Old 10-11-2010, 10:46   #28

You mean like, Tony's boat is different from an FP Tobago? Wait, that doesn't work does it?

How about a big thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Tonys boat was an on the edge racer, fly a hull with 5 kits. Of wind, hobie on steroids. Big difference between that and a tall ship. Different cheesy smile back atya
Old 10-11-2010, 12:43   #29

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
No it's not.

that masthead sure looks like the forum is devoted to multihulls. I see three front and center to one monohull . . .
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49   #30

Look guys, I did NOT start this post to start a s--t fight.

I was giving my opinion.
I posted it to the multihull section.
If you do not like multihulls don't read the multihull posts because you may get upset.
(it reminds me of the old lady who rang the police and complained about the naked guy next door, if she stood on a chair and looked over the fence she could see him naked. The police told her "then don't look over the fence.")

I was just stating the fact the cruising has evolved and technology has played a big part.
I remember sailing off Cairns Australia (The Great Barrier reef) with charts that were inaccurate and only a compass.

Now we have GPS.

Why can't cruisers discuss aspects of their boat without this tirade of abuse.
The comments I made in regard to Mono's are facts,
They do lean,
They do stink (because the motor is located in the main hull)
They are not shallow draft
And they do sink.
Most women do not like them for those reasons

You can't argue with this facts
Closed Thread