Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 19:42   #1

TomCat 9.7 vs Seawind 1000XL

I want to buy a catamaran and moor at sea in Hong Kong and sail single person. I had posted threads to ask for opinion on TomCat 6.2 (US$50,000 CIF with options (included shipping)), or a used 1996 Prout 39 (US$192,000). I am considering a Tomcat 9.7 (US$210,000 CIF & options) and Seawind 1000XL (US$275,000 CIF & options) as well.
I like Seawind 1000XL since it can carry 22 persons and has ROLLER FURLING PROFURL SYSTEM for easy single sailing, but it is most costly. Seawind has sold 175 copies and good for blue water, and may have a high resale value.
TomCat 9.7 is new design with little reference, but it is cheaper.
Not a single reply to my TomCat 6.2 thread that made me hesitate on capsize possibility.
Prout 39 is too heavy and old and low performance. But it is already in Hong Kong with generator. air-conditioner, 2 x 30HP desiel.

Money is a factor, but not the decisive factor. Can someone give me opinion? Thanks, Andrew.
Andrew Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 22:54   #2

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
How far do you want to travel with this boat? The Prout and Seawind will probably do it easily if it's a long distance offshore cruising. The Tomcat 6.2 is best suited for short term coastal cruising and too small to live aboard really. The Tomcat 9.7 is sort of in between; a bit small for ocean crossings too. How about a used Seawind? Bet you could find one for about $150,000 USD. Best choice if you're going any distance.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:27   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37
don't know much about "tom cat", but have sailed both seawind and prout. You are right the prout is heavy, slow, BUT extremely solid and a very safe blue water boat. The seawind is lighter, and brighter interior, we found the prout a bit dark inside for us, also the seawind was very easy to single hand and was a quick responsive boat.
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Do you plan on carrying 22 people on the Seawind ?

What are your plan's for the boat?

Heres a link to someone with one who has done a few miles on one.

Welcome to Siudzinski KatieKat

Dave
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29   #5

Andrew,

Have you already looked at the Prout in HK? If not, I will ask the guy who bought my Seawind if he'll at least take a look at it for you....or maybe he's knows something about it. He took our old cat to HK earlier this year and was moored near the satellite RHKYC facility last I heard.

As of a month ago he and his wife were in HK, but I do think they travel occasionally to the UK. PM me if you're interested.

best - Jay
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 13:15   #6

Jay,

You are most welcome to ask your friend to contact me. I have only seen Seawind 1200 and 1160 in Hong Kong; and would like to see a Seawind 1000. My email is andrewlkkay@yahoo.com. I have asked the sales agent to arrange the viewing as soon as the owner return to Hong Kong in Mid August Seanergy Ltd. (Kowloon, Hong Kong)&. The buying points of the Prout 39 are that firstly it is already in Hong Kong, mooring in the best location for me "Middle Island" which is full and not available to new arrival; secondly it has generator, air-conditioner and diesel engines at US$192,800, a new Seawind 1160 or Lagoon 38 with same capacities costs over US$450,000.

One of the reason that I am considering a Seawind 1000XL is its license to carry 22 persons, which allow me to conduct day trip parties. My main purpose is to cruise around Hong Kong water single handed, but may join international race to China, Philippines, or Vietnam which are 1000Kn away.

Thanks for the valuable advises from the other threads.

Andrew
Old 04-08-2007, 13:25   #7

Andrew,

The Seawind XL version has an extended transom.
I seen some discussion of this by Seawind 1000 owners who have done it themselves as an add-on.
See website of the Seawind Catamaran Owners Association of America.
SCOAA Home

I have sailed a Seawind 1000 on a bareboat charter, and it was great. Nice how you can see all around. While it would be physically possible to put 22 people on board, (half on the foredeck trampoline), not sure it would be a great social event.
duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 14:03   #8

Andrew,

Keep an eye out for a PM from me....I'm sending the email out now. My wife will email this guy's wife too, so we'll catch one of them.

I remember used Seawind 1000 models going for 175,000 to 225,000aud when I was in Oz five years ago.

What do you guys in HK do for typhoons? There a special safe harbor there or do they just use massive moorings? Guam had a little typhoon harbor, but friends that sat nasty ones out said it got really bad....and they had land or a rock breaker aorund them.

till later,
Jay
jaydh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 14:44   #9

Hong Kong has a very good harbor with Islands high above sea level. Cross Breakwater dams are built in the water inlet and created typhoon shelters. Good shelters are safe even with a direct Category four hit, like Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club Causeway Bay. They are crowded with commercial and fishing boats and are polluted. My favorable Middle Island or Sai Kung are not man-made typhoon shelters. I think anchor chains for half of the catamarans there may break with category four direct hit, which happened only three times in the last sixty years. I am not sure whether insurance can cover all losses, this is a chance that I have to take if I like to moor in beautiful nature bay like southern France.
Andrew
Old 04-08-2007, 16:03   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Hi again Andrew,

I have no financial interest's in the vessel below, but I do know that I lusted for "Second Innings" for years as she is a fast comfotable lightweight cruiser that would be a pleasure to sail.

Emultihulls Yacht Brokerage - Grainger

This boat I will deliver to Hong Kong for a very minimul fee.

I would definetly say this boat is a "Far Superior" sailing cat than what you are currently looking at.

Dave
Old 05-08-2007, 23:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Emultihulls Yacht Brokerage - Grainger

I would definetly say this boat is a "Far Superior" sailing cat than what you are currently looking at.

Dave
I have read a far bit of good press about the seawind 1000, so anytime I hear about it's warts, I'm all ears...

I will say that after an 8 day sail last year, the SW1000 we hired had absolutely woeful performanced anywhere within 60 degrees of the breeze.

thanks
IsolatedDangerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 23:16   #12

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Andrew,

I was quoted just under HK $2.7 (US $345K) for a new Lagoon 38 delivered to Hong Kong only 6 months ago. This was with all the goodies and through Simpson Marine, the HK dealer. Simpson also has a 2002 Lagoon 38 for sale at about US $235K (lying Singapore or Lankawi).

There's a 2004 Seawind 1160 (lying HK) which is asking about HK $3 million (overpriced IMHO). Nice boat. I think there's also an older Seawind 1200 for sale.

I looked at the Prout 39 over 2 years ago. A decent boat but the price hasn't changed in that time - nor has the boat sold. You can draw your own conclusions from that fact!!

I've had our 40' cat on the waiting list since January with RHKYC and no luck! So, if you're looking to moor in either Middle Island or Shelter Cove you'll need to track down a private mooring. The best bet for Shelter Cove is the bulletin board at Hebe Haven Yacht Club. You might try the Aberdeen Boat Club for Middle Island moorings.

Cheers.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:11   #13

Boat: hunter sonata
Hi Andrew and Muskoka,

I am new in sailing, and I also try to have a look for this Prout 39. Is it worth to have a boat visit? What is the Prout's conditation?

Thanks.
alex@@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:27   #14

Hi Alex and Muskoka,

Please send me your email and mobile number to my personal email andrewlkkay@yahoo.com, so I can call you when the owner return to Hong Kong after August 10. Would you or Mushoka interested to share the ownership of the Prount 39 with me?

Andrew
Old 06-08-2007, 04:42   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Hi Andrew,

I'm not interested in boat sharing as I currently own a Lavezzi 40.

Good luck!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind