Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 11:01   #31

Re: Took a Bullet at Midnight...Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Good Lord. Ft Pierce sounds like a third world country, and I love Ft. Pierce - farmers market, theater, etc.

Interested to hear the police response, if any. Thank goodness no injuries.
Head a block or so east of US1 you will understand why there guns being shot off. The Natives were in full swing last night I am sure of it
willpower1 is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:04   #32

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I under current US laws anyone that isn't a felon or certified insane can go out and buy guns by the car load. So any idiot with no training, no understanding of the dangers can own a gun. You can't drive a car without proving your competency but buy a gun, .
the law you speak of is our constitution. driving a car is a privledge granted to you by the state. owning a firearm is a right granted to all citizens by the constitution. I agree that right is abused by many, (as are other constitutional rights), however I would hate to lose my constitutional rights because of the careless or recklessness of a few. I whole heartedly agree people should be trained on firearm safety, making it a mandatory course in school would save a lot of lives. But in this PC society it would never fly. By the way those leagaly driving cars kill and injure far more people than those abusing their 2ed amendment rights.
captmikem is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:20   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

But-at what point does your constitutional right to "LIFE,liberty & the pursuit of happiness" supersede the right of (un-qualifieds) to "bear arms" & act irresponsibly? Seems there should be some rules about discharging arms in situations where another's right to LIFE is endangered.

Does the right to "bear" give you the right to discharge ?

Glad no one was hurt. / Len
Old 01-01-2018, 11:27   #34

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Cearly the perpetrator never saw this episode:
https://mythresults.com/episode50
(Part of their rating came from a CA coroner report)

Nor had the perpetrator heard this:
Adelie is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30   #35

Back in the day, I found a handful of bullets in a restaurant's parking lot across street from Lennox Sheriff station. Knucklehead gang bangers celebrated new year by shooting in general direction of sheriff station.

In Afghanistan, weddings are usually celebrated by guest shooting their AK47's in air. Some received tow missile wedding presents via US drones by mistake.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30   #36

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

A very serious problem here in the Southwest. Back in 1999 a 14 year old girl was killed by a stray bullet, a law was passed making it a felony offense to discharge a firearm randomly into the air. But it is still happening. The law called Shannon's law was named after the girl who was killed.

This happens so much that police even have installed special equipment to detect and track down random gunfire.

Sorry this happened to you, thank God you weren't on deck!

Rick
rickdamico is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:39   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Apropos to nothing, I found this article interesting:

Three percent of Americans own 50% of the guns.
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:53   #38

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 35

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the complete, brain-dead stupidity of shooting guns into the air as a celebration.

Me, too!

Glad you're okay.
SailAmore is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:54   #39

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Seems there should be some rules about discharging arms in situations where another's right to LIFE is endangered.

Does the right to "bear" give you the right to discharge / Len
These laws exist, most cities and municipalities have laws about discharging firearms. But just like idiots in automobiles who drive recklessly, drunk, or speed in residential areas, idiots with firearms do stupid (and unlawful) things as well.
captmikem is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 11:59   #40

Boat: Rafiki 37

Not the same thing, but I was anchored up a river a few years ago, nicely tucked into some marshy area, when I started to hear BANG! BANG! Definitely gun fire, and definitely quite close .

I jumped up on deck and eventually spotted some duck hunters hard at it. We were close enough to see some of the scatter-shot bouncing along the water. I don’t think they even noticed us. Luckily none of it hit us, but still kinda scary.

Just this past season I was about to drop anchor between two islands off the St. Lawrence (near Sorel). We were quite close to a ramshacked cabin when I started to hear the crack of gunfire, seemingly in response to our approach.

I don’t know if it was aimed at us, but I hauled in and I decided to anchor somewhere else.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:12   #41

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Not on a boat, but once when camping on some property we owned, we heard gunshots. It wasn't hunting season, so I started walking. Then head something "whine" just over my head!!!
I jumped in the truck and found the neighbour shooting muskrats in his pond, aiming directly towards our trailer which was visible to him.
The bullets were skipping off the water straight at us.
The idiot rested the Barrel on the top off his boot while yelling at me for coming onto his property. He hadn't unloaded, and had his finger in the trigger guard. I expected Darwin's law to kick in any minute.
Unfortunately the gun slipped off his boot and buried itself a few inches into the mud instead. Either way, his shooting was done for the day.
Some people just shouldn't own guns
chris mac is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 12:14   #42

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I had a similar event years ago. Bullet coming down on the 4th of July punctured the roof of my car but didn't go through. I found the bullet alongside the car. A 45! Mixed up epoxy and micro balloons and filled in the dimple.
foufou is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 12:47   #43

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Sure glad no one was hurt. Seems every year or two someone is hit in the head with falling bullets. If only the bullets would fall down on the shooter and take them out of the gene pool.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 13:02   #44

Boat: 32 contessa

in Australia when we get our firearms cert we are trained ,,
DONT FIRE IN THE AIR
DONT FIRE INTO WATER (skips)
dont fire unless you know where the round is going .
wow im glad your ok ,, it could have been bad ,,
Happy New Year ,,
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 13:07   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
But-at what point does your constitutional right to "LIFE,liberty & the pursuit of happiness" supersede the right of (un-qualifieds) to "bear arms" & act irresponsibly? Seems there should be some rules about discharging arms in situations where another's right to LIFE is endangered.

Does the right to "bear" give you the right to discharge ?

Glad no one was hurt. / Len
There are laws against firing in residential areas for sure but that doesn't stop stupid people from doing stupid stuff. And if we made a law that says no guns seriously the people that obey this law would become targets of those that don't. ..corny but if we outlaw guns truly only outlaws will have them... look at the crime statistics from Chicago where they outlaw guns. you must also consider that you will make Outlaws out of the good people that refused to give up their weapons simply for protection from The Outlaws... clearly something needs to be done to keep the weapons away from those that abuse them or the criminals themselves. But it's a very difficult process to choose who is who
Kita is offline   Reply
Closed Thread