Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 13:18   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Took a Bullet at Midnight...Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
But-at what point does your constitutional right to "LIFE,liberty & the pursuit of happiness" supersede the right of (un-qualifieds) to "bear arms" & act irresponsibly? Seems there should be some rules about discharging arms in situations where another's right to LIFE is endangered.

Does the right to "bear" give you the right to discharge ?

Glad no one was hurt. / Len
You can be sure that it is against the law to use guns in an irresponsible manner. All of those firing guns into the air last night are subject to arrest.

When you think about it, even with thousands of bullets fired skyward, very few people get hit. Most of the bullets fall harmlessly to the ground. That said there is a small but definite risk of doing grave injury to some innocent person. There is just no point in it. You want to make noise, buy a fire cracker.
Old 01-01-2018, 13:18   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I can understand it and this kind of thing doesn't surprise me at all.

I know I have better sense and think you do as well but under current US laws anyone that isn't a felon or certified insane can go out and buy guns by the car load. So any idiot with no training, no understanding of the dangers can own a gun. You can't drive a car without proving your competency but buy a gun, no problem. I've been hunting and shooting since I was 6 years old and not in favor of banning guns but sure would like to keep them out of the hands of idiots and wackos but how to do it?

I have a couple of nephews that own guns that just outright scare me. Both are big time alcoholics, one has a drug problem and a seriously bad temper. However both are legal gun owners and under current laws there's no way to prevent them. So far no major incidents but again will not be surprised if one occurs.
I am not trying to be insulting but licensing or decrying the sales of guns w/o some sort of governmental regulation is not only inappropriate, its unconstitutional. Reality tells me that regulation does not stop the thief, thug or low life from getting his/her hands on a gun. The black market is, was and will always be a source for those who wish to get one (in today's world even the mentally derange have that access). Taking the guns away from those who are competent and respectful of the laws and regulations in no way has any impact on the intended audience to which you refer. It's more like taking your driver's license away because the village idiot got drunk, stole a car, and went for a joy ride w/o a license of his own. After he gets in an accident, the powers that be decide to deactivate and secure the license of all in the village. Ridiculous? Of course but no more so than gun control.. I do not condone reckless abandon with guns but neither do I condone efforts to control their use. People kill people, not guns.
bruce v is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 13:41   #48

Boat: GibSea 472

Ha, you American and your love affair with firearms!..
Seen from Canada, it seems so strange this casual attitude toward guns. 9 mm is certainly a pistol, thing that is VERY restricted in most other part of the civilised world. The only purpose of these pistol is to kill human beings. Have you ever tought that by arming almost every body result in indiscriminate shooting of nice people every where by the thousand each year. Nine eleven is nothing compared to what appens in America's street each year. And it creates a general fear instead of a feeling of security. Is there a problem you think?
But American love their guns... need I say more?
Elie is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 13:43   #49

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

With abject apologies to Longfellow...

He shot a bullet into the air
Where it went he did not care
For his brain was dulled
By the serious business
Of a welcome New Year.

Actually, many years ago, on a New Year's eve, a friend's infant son was hit in the head by a falling rifle bullet. Fortunately, it was slowed by the thin roof of the camper shell where he was asleep, and did not penetrate his skin, but it did leave a mighty bruise. I personally thought it must have had more impetus than just gravity to penetrate the shell. Apparently, despite a child being injured, the police were disinterested, although the hospital staff thought camping over the New Year's holiday was an irresponsibly bad idea. If it had been a boat?
Old 01-01-2018, 14:05   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I just had a look at the CDC statistics relative to gun violence. It turns out that for the years 2011 through 2015, the average number of deaths runs at a bit over 33,000, and that there are almost double the number of suicides to homicides. Additionally, the numbers of injuries is double the number of deaths, and that represents a lot of damage.

Ann
Old 01-01-2018, 14:21   #51

Boat: MacGregor 26D

Mythbusters did a show on shooting straight up. YouTube has at least part of it. Was very well done.
williamtl is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 14:23   #52

Boat: Leopard 39

SMH, just incredible. You know, firing a weapon into the air is the height of irresponsibility. Anyone doing so should not be allowed to own a weapon.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 14:51   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I cannot, for the life of me, understand the complete, brain-dead stupidity of shooting guns into the air as a celebration.

(And this is coming from a life-long NRA member!)
I second the motion here, thank God you and your family were not hurt. The chances of being hit are very rare. To brighten the thought, I would run to the store and buy a lottery ticket. Happy you were not hit. Regards...
seabreez is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:02   #54

Boat: 32 contessa
Lightbulb Re: Took a Bullet at Midnight...Happy New Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Your confusion is understandable. A bullet fired 1/4 mile into the air will be Is the best case straight up? Yes because
at a velocity of almost 200MPH when it hits the ground about 18 sec after firing. Many hand gun ranges exceed a half mile and some more that that. Can it kill you? Hell yes! Is straight up safest? Yes, because the bullet has no forward velocity.. Bullets generally are still traveling fast when they hit the ground. Typically they cover a half mile in a second, nearly 9x the velocity of a falling object.
To be totally honest ,, I wouldn't want someone throwing a dime at me from 20 feet away let alone a 180gr projectile falling a 33feet per second per second till terminal velocity is gained ,,,,
IT WOULD BLOODY HURT ,
I say
ONLY FIRE A ROUND WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR TARGET (unless you were the target ?)
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I just had a look at the CDC statistics relative to gun violence. It turns out that for the years 2011 through 2015, the average number of deaths runs at a bit over 33,000, and that there are almost double the number of suicides to homicides. Additionally, the numbers of injuries is double the number of deaths, and that represents a lot of damage.

Ann
Ann, You just got me thinking with your stats... I do not own a gun and never did. However thinking with all the guns in the states, if Trump ever declared war, no one country would invade the states as all crazy gun owners in the states would be easily influenced in trying to protect their land and this would make the biggest army in the world... great protection... no? OK, OK, just forget my thought... Regards.
seabreez is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:17   #56

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I can understand it and this kind of thing doesn't surprise me at all.

I know I have better sense and think you do as well but under current US laws anyone that isn't a felon or certified insane can go out and buy guns by the car load. So any idiot with no training, no understanding of the dangers can own a gun. You can't drive a car without proving your competency but buy a gun, no problem. I've been hunting and shooting since I was 6 years old and not in favor of banning guns but sure would like to keep them out of the hands of idiots and wackos but how to do it?

I have a couple of nephews that own guns that just outright scare me. Both are big time alcoholics, one has a drug problem and a seriously bad temper. However both are legal gun owners and under current laws there's no way to prevent them. So far no major incidents but again will not be surprised if one occurs.
Nailed it skipmac, there are millions of guns out there that are owned by people with no business owning guns. No wonder we have so many gun deaths every year. And yes, I am also a gun owner.
captlloyd is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:22   #57

Boat: 32 contessa

Guns dont kill , People kill
I have 90 guns with 1.2 million rounds of ammo ,,, my guns have never jumped out the gun safes and rampaged ,,, never
some people are stupid this is just how it is , We will never stop this ,
But when do we draw the line ,,, STOP PEOPLE HAVING GUNS ?
STOP PEOPLE SAILING (they may drown ? or get sunburnned ?)
When do we draw the line on NANNY STATE LAWS
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:22   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreez View Post
Ann, You just got me thinking with your stats... I do not own a gun and never did. However thinking with all the guns in the states, if Trump ever declared war, no one country would invade the states as all crazy gun owners in the states would be easily influenced in trying to protect their land and this would make the biggest army in the world... great protection... no? OK, OK, just forget my thought... Regards.
And that thought did cross the minds of the founders of the USA. ..I would also think that is one thought that would go through any army or country. ..
Kita is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:41   #59

Boat: Beneteau First 41s5

If that happened here in Australia, the police would arrive immediately to protect its citizens and arrest the gun owner.
Harro is offline   Reply
Old 01-01-2018, 15:50   #60

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harro View Post
If that happened here in Australia, the police would arrive immediately to protect its citizens and arrest the gun owner.
Assuming they were able to identify gun owner. Easier said than done.