Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 08:29   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Top 10 Cat Manufacturers

Leopard says over 800 from their website. So, is Gemini #3? BOB
Leopard Catamarans
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 09:09   #17

At the Annapolis Sailboat Show I asked how many PDQ 44's were built and I think the rep said there were 36 built in one factory and 7 in another=43 total. It's probably close as they are still building them.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:10   #18

This just came up. Dragonfly trimarans have made 850 units but some were as small as 16' so we aren't going to count them because this is the Cruisers Forum. Nonetheless these are impressive numbers from an impressive company. I'm sure they are #1 in the cruising tri catagory with Corsair #2. Those boats rock. BOB
Dragonfly Trimarans by Quorning Boats of Denmark | Legacy Legacy
Old 14-10-2011, 11:23   #19

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Crab
So, is Gemini #3?
I didn't know that ? Way kewl. Our 2001 Gemini 105Mc is #753 and by now that is a lot of cats built in an affordable price range . I really liked the new Catana 42, if the mast hight is not too high for Rail Road bridges at 65 ft clearence ? You know always looking
Old 14-10-2011, 11:46   #20

I think Dean Catamarans (www.deancatamarans.com) is a bit over 600 to date.

[still crasy about Dean cats...]
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 15:00   #21

Lagoon has made a lot of Great boats over the years including the ones made at the TPI factory, BUT Stay Tuned! Lagoon has recently gone to a system called E-Plex.

The Catamaran Company AND Lagoon have been sued for MILLIONS of dollars for the new 560 line. It has TERRIBLE PROBLEMS! And I know of 2 Owners both here in Florida have filed suit again these two companies. Buyer Beware!

Lagoon Has Big Problems! And so does the Catamaran Company.

Even though the Manta 42 is out of production in 2008, it is still a great boat!
ConTGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 15:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTGo View Post
Catamaran Company AND Lagoon have been sued for MILLIONS of dollars for the new 560 line. It has TERRIBLE PROBLEMS! And I know of 2 Owners both here in Florida have filed suit again these two companies. Buyer Beware!
Could you please supply more details such as the plaintiffs names, court case #, etc. BOB
Old 15-10-2011, 16:16   #23

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The only valid statistic I'm intersted in is the total volume of the manufacturer to date. This is a cold hard fact and is not debatable. We know that Lagoon has been the world leader for a long time in yearly sales and total output. I do agree that yearly sales numbers for a given manufacturer and the models sold would be good data but very hard to acquire. I'm not debating attributes, bridgedeck clearance, daggerboards or anything else. Comparing how long someone owns a boat would be interesting but somewhat useless stat because too many variables would affect it.
Back to this thread. I havn't researched it yet but does anyone know anything about Leopard? Are they #3?
I thought that that boat was a Catana 59 because it was on that page. My buddy have now started calling the Catanas Countachs because like the famous car they look striking with all the hard edges and lines. As I said before just badass. You don't have to agree. BOB
I kind of wanted to come back to this. While # built is a cold, hard, provable fact, I'm not sure I follow what is achieved by knowing this. Maybe you're just a numbers guy and it keeps you focused over the winter but if total built is supposed to be an indicator of something, I'm missing just what that something is.

Mass production is never an indicator of 'best' anything, nor does it really prove that the company will still be around to support your boat. Sort of a 'past performance doesn't guarantee future results' kind of thing...
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 16:50   #24

cchelsey, I am a numbers guy and the top 10 list means nothing except what it is. It is has no bearing on any attribute, quality, seaworthyness, preference or anthing else. For instance I would trade alot of these guys boats for your Mainecat any day. Furthermore there are quite a few manufacturers that make great boats that are way down on the list. Gunboat, Switch, Atlantic, etc. This list is just for fun and general info and that's that. BOB

PS Do you need crew?
Old 15-10-2011, 17:45   #25

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Thanks Sand Crab, for clarifying. That's what I thought (hoped) it was.

Nope, don't 'need' crew. That's one of those things I like about the MC 41. I just spent 5 hours out daysailing by myself today. But, I'd welcome crew who wanted to come sail, especially during the off season when it's not our house. Winter and shoulder seasons are awesome around these parts. Besides, I just push the bridgedeck thermostat up another notch and stick with the slippers while sailing.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 19:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConTGo View Post
Lagoon has made a lot of Great boats over the years including the ones made at the TPI factory, BUT Stay Tuned! Lagoon has recently gone to a system called E-Plex.

The Catamaran Company AND Lagoon have been sued for MILLIONS of dollars for the new 560 line. It has TERRIBLE PROBLEMS! And I know of 2 Owners both here in Florida have filed suit again these two companies. Buyer Beware!

Lagoon Has Big Problems! And so does the Catamaran Company.

Even though the Manta 42 is out of production in 2008, it is still a great boat!
Hmmm

Two posts and both are slamming lagoon and talk about lawsuits. Anyone else think this poster has other than pure motives?
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 21:12   #27

Hey Rallyman1122 There is no motive here, other than to keep someone from buying into a system that is unsafe. If by simply stating the facts, it keeps people from dangerous situations, then all is good right? The original thread was about multiplex systems such as E-Plex. In fact these types of systems can play an important role, but not at the expense of safety at sea. On the Lagoon 560 all navigation, lights, toilets, water, winches, and other systems are controlled with one "Clock" controller WITH NO BACKUP! Imagine being 200 miles out, its night, you happen to be crossing a shipping lane and you loose the E-Plex. Your in BIG Trouble! So, as other posters have said all along. Keep it simple when cruising off shore! I agree!
ConTGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 10:26   #28

Ok I've never heard of E-Plex systems can someone please direct me to a post that describes this system in detail ?
Old 16-10-2011, 10:34   #29

ConTgo is posting in 2 different threads and has mixed them up. Still waiting on the details of the lawsuit like where it was filed.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-65306.html BOB
Old 16-10-2011, 10:48   #30

I think I understand : all elect systems are run thru this E-Plex system and a failure off shore means the electronic systems are all hooked together and if it goes out the elect head for instance quits flushing as well as the chartplotter and posiably the elect roller furrlers and power wintches. Am I correct on this ?? Too many systems connecting together ?

I like our symple Gemini more and more and am glad they have made more boats than most builders. I hope the quality does not suffer sence Hunter Co has started building them in Fla.