Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2023, 04:44   #16

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Re: Torqeedo Cruise 12.0 FP electric motor conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I would suggest finding out if you can service the seals yourself if you ever consider going off the beaten path.
I will look into it. That’s a good idea 👍
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
congrats

question - how fast are they at "spin up" or going from forward->reverse like in harbour manoeuvres? I've tried some Ocean Voltage and I found them pretty bad vs a normal diesel.

And my own Torqeedo 1003 outboard is "not quite super" taking a good 15 seconds before you have any meaningful "opposite" thrust or a good 6-10 seconds going from "stop" to "forward"
Great question, I find they are similar to, but not as quick to spin up as my old engines. I’m sure this is at least partially due to the props. I now have folding props but always had fixed props on my VPs. I feel if I motored more and wanted more performance from them, I would use there stock props. That being said I had to re-anchor in 45+ knots and had no trouble with maneuverability.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:12   #18
Marine Service Provider

Hey IrieCat"
Any news on how’s it going with the pods?
Old 02-12-2023, 04:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz911 View Post
congrats

question - how fast are they at "spin up" or going from forward->reverse like in harbour manoeuvres? I've tried some Ocean Voltage and I found them pretty bad vs a normal diesel.

And my own Torqeedo 1003 outboard is "not quite super" taking a good 15 seconds before you have any meaningful "opposite" thrust or a good 6-10 seconds going from "stop" to "forward"
This is a good point. In my opinion, after using them for a few months, I hold the props responsible for the spin up delay. I had fixed props on my diesels and now have folding props. I don’t think the folding props bite the way my old props did. This being said, I sail much much faster. For me, the trade off is very worth it. I have the stock Torqeedo props on board and I’m sure they would be better for motoring, but I have no interest in motoring any more than I need to.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesIsail View Post
Hey IrieCat"
Any news on how’s it going with the pods?
So far so good. The motors are performing great and I especially am happy and please with the support I’ve received from Torqeedo. I have been able to get questions answered same day from their customer service. This was one of my concerns being new to the electric motor world back in the Spring. I am very happy with the results. We have now done 8 months cruising on 100% solar.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:39   #21

Boat: Mumby 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieCat View Post
Great question, I find they are similar to, but not as quick to spin up as my old engines. I’m sure this is at least partially due to the props. I now have folding props but always had fixed props on my VPs. I feel if I motored more and wanted more performance from them, I would use there stock props. That being said I had to re-anchor in 45+ knots and had no trouble with maneuverability.
This seems pretty odd to me. The electrics should be able to spin the props up much faster than what any diesel ever would do. 15 seconds (or ever 6 for that matter) to get full thrust when changing direction is quite concerning.

This is not the folding props causing that. They open quickly and will stay open when manoeuvring in a marina.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:42   #22

Boat: Najad 490 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
This seems pretty odd to me. The electrics should be able to spin the props up much faster than what any diesel ever would do. 15 seconds (or ever 6 for that matter) to get full thrust when changing direction is quite concerning.

This is not the folding props causing that. They open quickly and will stay open when manoeuvring in a marina.

No - they use "Ramp-Up and Ramp-Down" speeds on Electric motors.

And that is an issue IMHO. Not so much on a Dinghy but on the bigger ones I found it a PITA to work with (Pods or Ocean Drives)

/k
kaz911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:49   #23

Boat: Mumby 48

So they're very aggressively limiting the inrush currents you get as you accelerate an electric motor. That's really not ideal.

There are plenty of times where the ability to (put all mechanical sympathy aside and) just smash the throttles to full forward or full reverse have saved my bacon! **** happens!
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:22   #24

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Do you get any regen?
Do you get any regen
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, electric, electric motor, motor