Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51   #16

Re: Trampoline Questions ?

The problem with getting rid of the eyebolts and lashing straight through the fibreglass is that eventually the lashings could saw through the glass. It would be nice if you could get some SS ferrules to fit the holes.

Possibly saddles bolted through the glass would offer less leverage. Also if the current spacing is 8 inches, I'd fit twice as many.

Probably the easiest way would be to simply double the number of eyebolts, at half the spacing. Use individual lashings of course.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:01   #17

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

I don't think that drilling holes in a single laminate will work too well. I think you will wear the ropes out pretty quickly.

If it was a new boat build I would put some PVC pipe on the boat and glass over it. Then you grind out notches every 100mm or so and attach the lashings around tube that is slid inside. Did this just two days ago.

On your build you don't want to grind and fair and then paint. So I would be thinking of doing something else. Maybe some plastic or metal grommet that you can use to build up the turning radius. Something like this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2300997...ommets-eyelets

but out of stainless and with a larger inside radius.

Maybe another idea is to get a 12-15 mm stainless tube and take out the thickness of the flange along one side. Push this onto the flange and locate with bolts or uni strands (unis are my favourite). Then drill holes right up against the tube. This gives a nice rounded edge to the flange and reduces chafe on the lashings. Be careful to file and smooth the cut edge.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 14:45   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Probably a bit expensive, but how about replacing the eye bolts with long shackles?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:32   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are always through deck, screw in, low friction rings. But in addition to not being cheap, it would probably mean needing a bigger flange.

Doubling the number of eye bolts is one solution that occurred to me as well.
Ditto on the saddles idea.
One other is perhaps to get/make some G-10 tubing & bond it into the flange. Along with beveling the exit holes. That or add G-10 plate in addition to bigger washers, or in lieu of them. And you could even tap & thread it, along with using nuts & washers.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:07   #20

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I took a 1 X 3 piece of clear fir timber, drilled 1" holes at 3" centers down the middle, routed the edges of the holes to get a nice radius, then sawed the timber down the middle to make two net supports. These were cleaned up, cut to length, epoxy coated, then placed on top of the deck where I wanted the nets to be secured. I drilled down between the holes with a 3/8" bit, doen into the edging timbers beneath the deck. Then I buttered the base of the support with epoxy and filler, and pounded 3/8" dowels, "tree-nails", coated in epoxy. Cleaned up, touched up the epoxy and then painted with linear polyurethane paint. Finished with the 1/8" super strength spectra lashing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0652.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	139163   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0711.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	139164  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1526.jpg