Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 15:17   #1

Transom rot

I own a gemini 105 mc. I have discovered the wood in the transom where the sonic Salil drive is located is rotted. The bottom of the transom had opened up. Has anyone experienced this and what did you do to repair the transom?
Walrus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 16:39   #2

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
Re: Transom rot

Just a heads up….the company that makes your sonic leg no longer makes your sonic leg. Parts, maybe, but no longer new units. If you were to have a large failure of that leg, you might be forced to rebuild the transom to accept outboard(s). And as far as I can tell, there are no other companies making such long sonic drives that you could substitute in….

Maybe time to build sleds for new outboards instead of (including) repairing the transom.
massnspace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 23:36   #3

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Gday Walrus

Some photos would be good. I don't have a Gemini but I build cats and maintain them. I don't think that the rot broke the aft beam where the leg comes out. I am guessing that the stress of the motor in use and retraction broke some of the glass around the cutaway.

If that is the case then my advice is to buy a good grinder and get in there from the inside. Remove the leg first, then grind away all the rot ansd the glass covering it. Get stuck in and grind all the rotten reinforcing timber inside away, along with all the glass covering it. Only skim sand the outer laminate. Try and keep that together, even if there is a crack.

Then using EPOXY only. Use new plywood to reinforce the area with the same style of reinforcing. Then round off all edges and use epoxy again to glass ovetr the plywood. Do this a few times with +- 45 degree double bias about 440gm weight fabric. Don't use woven cloth as it doesn't drape well.

Then when the whole shebang is strong again, go to the outside laminate and fill in any cracks with flowcoat (polyester). Don't do any glassing outside unless the cracks are large.

Get in there and attack!

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 14:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnspace View Post
Just a heads up….the company that makes your sonic leg no longer makes your sonic leg. Parts, maybe, but no longer new units. If you were to have a large failure of that leg, you might be forced to rebuild the transom to accept outboard(s). And as far as I can tell, there are no other companies making such long sonic drives that you could substitute in….

Maybe time to build sleds for new outboards instead of (including) repairing the transom.
I am aware that Sonic is no longer in business. I have been in touch with Glenn in the UK and have purchased enough parts to keep my Sonic going. I feel that my Sonic will last for several more years before I need to think about repowering the boat. Thank you for your reply.
Walrus57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot