Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 23:00   #1921

Thanks I have the original in paperback, but the new one I downloaded and my smart phone only let's me read half of it so will have to take the file to a place that can print it out for me. Thanks
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:48   #1922

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Hello All,

I am thinking about installing dual steering stations on my SR37. My cockpit has the notched/wider aft end. My plan would be to cut out a space by this wide area at the very aft end of the cockpit both sides. The space would be big enough for the wheel and room to turn around in but not so wide that I eliminate the bunk underneath. The bunk would have to become a single. On the other side of the boat is the engine room so there are no interference problems. The decks of the steering stations would be hatches which would give me better access to the engine on one side and the tanks on the other. The remaining cockpit seat would become a comfy spot to sit while steering. The winches would also be easier to get to from the helm.

Has anyone ever done this? Can anyone give me hints about installing dual steering stations? My thought is chain and cable system. I don't want hydraulics or push/pull.

Thanks,
John B.
buildingmytrimaran.shutterfly.com
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56   #1923
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

It would surely not be too hard, just route the cross link under the cockpit. I believe that boat already had the cable steering. Your pics show you're getting into it! I had figured the first 12 feet of the main hull, trunk, and both amas needed complete rebuilding on that boat.

good luck!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:47   #1924

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I haven't had enough coffee this morning to understand what you are talking about. I'm guessing two wheels, but located where? And why?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:52   #1925
Marine Service Provider

Seems like a great idea. the wheel on Honeywind catches me right at the knee between wheel and coaming. there were some boats built with the wheel off to one side.

also would be able to see amas better when docking or going thru tight bridges.

on a side note, I was thinking of making the entire galley area of the SR34 and aft part of the cockpit a pilot house with a door behind the mast to a forward sailing cockpit. I have moved on from that project, but I think it could prove to be a really interested concept.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03   #1926

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

REGARDING TWO STEERING WHEELS:
It could certainly be done, and an Edson gear chain to pull/pull cables has the least resistance. If all of the roller bearing sheaves are lined up, there is almost "0" resistance... but like Roy said, WHY? There is very little advantage.

Your best reference as to "where the boat is pointing", while standing up, is to alternate between looking just left and just right of the mast, and gunsight the forestay. From this standing position, you can see over the dodger as well.

The same is true when docking... While steering with my left hand, I look from far to the starboard side of the cockpit, with my knee on the seat, to judge proximity to the dock. Then I do the opposite, to judge proximity to the outer pilings or other boats. A more or less central location of the wheel works best for this quick transition.

Also... for less precise but more relaxed steering, we set a "Sport A Seat" next to the wheel, on either side, stretch out our legs, and steer easily with the inboard hand (totally in the lee of the dodger). We switch sides as needs be. To get REALLY relaxed, I tip the seat back at a 45 degree angle, move it back a couple of feet, and steer with my feet. In this position, the trick becomes, staying awake!

On my 34, btw... the pedestal is 2" to port of center, and the wheel is relatively small. We always pass from front to back on the starboard side, because it has more space. It is quite easy, unless your wheel is too large, and at the dock, we remove the wheel and store it in the ama or back bunk. With the hand tensioned axle nut, it just takes seconds!

Another thought about having two wheels... It will add unnecessary weight, will take AT LEAST twice as much force to turn the wheel (= steer the boat), and will have three times the inertia when turning the wheel, (due to the fact that you are turning BOTH the rudder and the other wheel at the same time). This is more tiring, has far less "feel", and neither a windvane NOR autopilot will work as well. It might make the former totally ineffective, and the latter consume twice as much power.

IMO... It is a really bad idea.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100645.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	56389   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100641.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	56390  

Name:	104_104_00.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	56391   Click image for larger version

Name:	127_127.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	56392  

Old 07-03-2013, 11:19   #1927
Marine Service Provider

I don't see how the slave wheel would add much resistance when steering certainly not double the force required. It would also depend on how you planned to use the boat. would certainly be more fun for daysailing, but pointless when cruising except of course when running the Intercoastal. It may just be a personal thing, but I like to be able to steer from the edge of the boat, or close to it. A cat with two wheels or two tillers and most monohulls give this experience.

Anyhow, best of luck with the project. As. 1987, that is ironically one of the newest SR 37 I have encountered. Did you ever find out any history. I recall it had a Michigan assigned hull ID.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 07-03-2013, 15:22   #1928

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Two wheels on a Searunner, why bother, there are plenty of other things i would do and have before 2 wheels.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50   #1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I don't see how the slave wheel would add much resistance when steering certainly not double the force required. It would also depend on how you planned to use the boat. would certainly be more fun for daysailing, but pointless when cruising except of course when running the Intercoastal. It may just be a personal thing, but I like to be able to steer from the edge of the boat, or close to it. A cat with two wheels or two tillers and most monohulls give this experience.

Anyhow, best of luck with the project. As. 1987, that is ironically one of the newest SR 37 I have encountered. Did you ever find out any history. I recall it had a Michigan assigned hull ID.

Cheers,
Jeff
I couldn't find any detail on the history. John Marples gave me the number 219 to use. There was a registration number on the bow of the port ama but after I pulled off the extra fiberglass I could read the whole number. The guy I bought the boat from didn't have any history.

Someone sure made a mess of that boat. The entire deck has fairing putty on it, over old non-skid, that is flaking off. Some of it is 1/2" thick. All the extra glass that was on the hull is the reason for all the rot. Everything was wet underneath it. Also, the forepeak is not vented at all.

Like they say. You get what you pay for. However, when I am done I will have a nice SR37 to cruise to where ever I please.

PS: You look to have a big project yourself.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:17   #1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Two wheels on a Searunner, why bother, there are plenty of other things i would do and have before 2 wheels.
The reasons for two wheels:

1) My wife doesn't like not being able to get past the wheel without climbing around it. A happy wife is a happy life.

2) I don't like the clutter in the cockpit. No wheel by the mast will let me have ready access to the sail controls and halyards. I will also be able to lead the main sheet forward so I don't have to turn around to trim the main. I can also install a boom vang without a steering pedestal in the way.

3) The cutouts will put the wheel closer to the winches so the helmsman can trim the sails from the helm.

4) Too many years sitting on the rail of a monohull to steer. I can see the sails and waves much better from the outboard position.

5) It's a project the could be fun to do.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35   #1931
Marine Service Provider

John

your boat is actually one of the last boats I looked at before I started the Vardo. I believe the guy you bought it from was the one that did all the "repairs"

another reason I decided to build new was I can grow a big boat at home OK, bit would have had major issues if I had tried to block up the SR 37 or the CC 35 I was looking at in the driveway for 2 years.

I plan to be sailing late this year.....

Jeff
Old 08-03-2013, 06:32   #1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
John

your boat is actually one of the last boats I looked at before I started the Vardo. I believe the guy you bought it from was the one that did all the "repairs"

another reason I decided to build new was I can grow a big boat at home OK, bit would have had major issues if I had tried to block up the SR 37 or the CC 35 I was looking at in the driveway for 2 years.

I plan to be sailing late this year.....

Jeff
I was going to build new but the building inspector shut me down. The guy I bought the boat from had good intentions, all the materials he bought were top shelf, he just had no clue about boats. He even admitted to that.

I hope to be back in the water 1 July. The boatyard just yesterday gave me two free months, May and June. If you ever need a boatyard in Portsmouth, RI go to Hinckley Yacht Services. They have been very supportive of my project. I really feel out of place though with all those $million boats surrounding me.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50   #1933

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Fair enough blewett John
You have got some good points there
Especially a happy wife on top of the list
You got your priorities correct.
Hope it goes well if you decide to do it, nice to see photos of all your efforts too.
Always worth posting new idea's to the rest of us for other perspectives...
And then we can make our own decisions for what we think is best for yourself.
All good in the hood.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 13:23   #1934

Boat: Searunner 31

Off topic
I was wondering where i could find a Searunner decal stick on for my main sail?
Your help is appreciated.
gskufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 13:49   #1935

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Any sailmaker should be able to fix you up, but you may want them to apply it too, if you want it to stick and look good. There are two Manta Ray insignias required of coarse, one for each side, and they must be perfectly positioned, or when looking at the port side, you will see some of the shadow of the starboard side.

They are self adhered vinyl graphics, and if you take the sailmaker your sail and a good photocopy of the Ray & boat size #, they can make the large ones from just that. One of Jim's books, or hundreds of places on the the Internet would be good sources for your copy.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1020392 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	56679   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020392 (2) - Copy - Copy.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	56680  

Tags