Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 22:53   #1936

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskufner View Post
Off topic
I was wondering where i could find a Searunner decal stick on for my main sail?
Your help is appreciated.
I have a friend that works at a laser cutting metal shop. I had him cut me some new stainless window trims for the nuts and bolts type reinstall. Should look a little better than the edge of the cut Polly carb.

I was thinking about having some stainless searunner emblems cut for the sides of the amas. 10" maybe a little bigger.

Is anyone interested in going in on a small run?
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 23:20   #1937

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran

I saw that tri a few years ago. At the time it was under cover. Since I already had a CC35 I didn't buy it. Construction looked good to me. I checked the hulls for delames or voids and didn't find any. The one problem at the time is it sits about 5 miles from the water. Getting permission to haul it to the local boatyard in Oxnard could be a problem. It was located in a corn field. Along with some other multis. That area has been built up somewhat which now makes transportation difficult. When I built my CC35 I built it so I could take it apart then reassemble permanently in Oxnard. My boat was built about a 100 miles from the ocean, About walking on the nets. Instead of nets I had foam core inserts I built to go between the amas and the mainhull. I sure miss that boat.
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25   #1938

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Red Horse, is your boat at the ranch near Camarillo? There used to be a number of multis being built there, back in the day. I remember, especially, a big Cross, foam sandwich with a fin keel, built by Rick Roush. Does that ring a bell?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:41   #1939

Roy,
The Ranch is where that Marples was located. It looked to be well built.
My CC35 is in Seattle. I don't remember any other Cross's at the ranch although at that time I was unfamiliar with the design. There were several multi's there in various stages of disrepair. This was some years ago at least 7.
If that area has built up more than what it was I can't see moving some of those boats. I'm not even sure the ranch still exists. I don't think I could even find it now. Those CC boats have sweet lines, I was always gettings thumbs up from people passing my slip or while underway.
The name Rick Rousch rings a bell but can't recall from where. Brain fade may be a factor.
Red Horse
Old 12-03-2013, 11:45   #1940

Roy,
In cae I didn't answer your question, my present boat is a Cross 38 built in Japan. 1968 was the launch year.
Rich
Old 12-03-2013, 11:52   #1941

I found this on my 31 and sinceit has wheel steering I wonder if its for a emergency tiller.

Any idea s

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130312_115039.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	56753

Name:	ForumRunner_20130312_115105.png
Views:	213
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	56754

Name:	ForumRunner_20130312_115145.png
Views:	188
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	56755

Name:	ForumRunner_20130312_115207.png
Views:	199
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	56756
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 15:11   #1942

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Shorebird 2...

That's a likely guess, especially if the bottom slot fits perfectly on the top of the rudder. The tiller would have to be pretty short, and it would be a bit of a bear to steer though.

Another idea... Their thought might also have been for a strong way to lash the helm amidships, when laying to a parachute. Remember... In this case, every time that 500' of parachute rode stretches 100', when the boat's "climbing the next mountain", the craft is flung backwards, putting a hell of a strain on the rudder, due to its being hinged in the front. (Thus the advantage in a true survival storm, of opting for a Jordan series drogue, trailed from astern, instead). IMO... The parachute off of the bow's advantage, may actually be to hold the boat stationary and bow-to, (but in just moderately bad weather), so you can get some rest, and wait it out.

AS FAR AS STEERING FAILURE:
For many of us, we have rope or cable rudder stops on top of the rudder, like mine. If I needed an emergency steering setup, I would run low stretch lines from the rudder stop hardware, through blocks on the Ama's inboard corner chainplates, and up to sheet winches that I would somehow free up from their primary duty.

The best bet, however, is failure avoidance! The 3/16" cables are plenty strong enough, but the front third of them runs through some really salty areas. If these cables fail, it will be from rusting out, more than from strain alone. (I change mine out every 6 years or so). I have also, over time, gone to great pains to limit the sloshing around in the salty cockpit sub floor, with CB trunk caps, wave deflectors on the hull's sides, and even inside baffles. These were added in a way that still allows VERY quick evacuation of cockpit flood water, should I ever get pooped, (again).

I also soak this front third of the steering cables with CRC penetrating oil each season, when servicing and oiling the sheaves. This combination of changes has vastly reduced cable rust, down to about "0".

Properly built and maintained, Searunner steering with NON rusty cables, will not fail! I trust mine with my life...

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P9210802.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	56761   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100641.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	56762  

Name:	P5100642.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	56763   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5100640.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	56764  

Name:	P9210796.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	56765   Click image for larger version

Name:	016_16 - Copy.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	56766  

Old 12-03-2013, 15:42   #1943

I have wheel steering and wish it was a tiller as it takes up so much room, but figure I'll give it six month too see how I like it before I decide.

I like the idea of the stoppers.

I thought that heavy aluminum piece could be for emergencies. its a puzzle trying to figure out what they did or why, like having the running back stay lever not on the side of the main hull but all the way out on The amas.

Wish I could get some history on her, all I know she was built in Santa Cruz splashed in 1975 and number 45.
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 03:38   #1944

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbat View Post
I have a friend that works at a laser cutting metal shop. I had him cut me some new stainless window trims for the nuts and bolts type reinstall. Should look a little better than the edge of the cut Polly carb.

I was thinking about having some stainless searunner emblems cut for the sides of the amas. 10" maybe a little bigger.

Is anyone interested in going in on a small run?
I would be interested. How much are you thinking they will cost?
Old 14-03-2013, 06:42   #1945

Boat: Searunner 40

Mark, what is the material you used for your cockpit grate?
I had morse cable steering which failed in Fiji.Made temporary rieins by tieing a rope to the self steering bracket at the top of the rudder.
these ropes were led through blocks on the aft of the amas and to the cockpit and tied together
It worked OK
I then switched to a quadrant with cables and pulleys which has been great
sea dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 15:01   #1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
I would be interested. How much are you thinking they will cost?
I'm not sure of the price yet. What size would you think would work for you? once he has the logo in CAD I'm sure he can scale it to what ever you would want. The SS is around 1/16" thick so it would need to be mounted on a flat surface, maybe the house?
Old 14-03-2013, 15:07   #1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird2 View Post
I have wheel steering and wish it was a tiller as it takes up so much room, but figure I'll give it six month too see how I like it before I decide.
Has anyone tried using a Lewmar folding wheel on a Searunner? I can not figure out how to post a link without getting flagged. You can google image search it...

I think it would be a better choice when not in motion for a center cockpit. It's a little pricy, but would take less work than two wheels or a tiller convert
Old 14-03-2013, 15:32   #1948

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Why not just loosen the nut and remove the wheel? You can even build a couple supports on the face of the cockpit seat to hold it.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 17:57   #1949

Boat: Searunner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbat View Post
Has anyone tried using a Lewmar folding wheel on a Searunner? I can not figure out how to post a link without getting flagged. You can google image search it...

I think it would be a better choice when not in motion for a center cockpit. It's a little pricy, but would take less work than two wheels or a tiller convert
I moved my wheel pedestal over to starboard and recessed it into the cockpit seat.
It works really well.
There is no need for two wheels as the visibility is fine on either tack.
I also enlarged the cockpit floor on that side so that I can just put a plastic garden type chair behind it.
The chair goes in the outside hull when it's in the way
If I ever can learn to shrink photos I will be able to post pictures
My boat is a 40 foot searunner
sea dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 20:36   #1950

I know its not address me but mine are tall and on the 31 I have two full ones the length of the cockpit and the width gores to the where the a annal one unfunny of or and a longer one behind the wheel so I can lift the 2 up for putting on our of the centerboard to keep spash down
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran