Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 28-10-2014, 10:24   #2926

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
It's the fairing that covers the lower portion of an outboard mount. Surely, someone has a picture of one?

Here's one of SCRIMSHAW, Jim Brown's boat (courtesy of searunner.org): CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR LARGER SIZE
Thanks! I had a suspicion that was what you where speaking of. That looks like two would be the nuts.

Mine had a half assed deal, starboard stern, of the rudder. Two vertical pipes with an OB clamp mount board that was supposed to go up and down with a small block and tackle. I guess that was someone's wet dream.

Thanks again!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59   #2927

Boat: Searunner 31

My boat has the 2-pipe slider, and while it's not as good as a sled, it does work as designed. The big downside of the stern mount is the weight; I've got about the lightest outboard going, but it still pulls the stern of my boat down noticeably. This brings the rudder hinge close to the waterline, enabling growth, and lets a bit more water collect in the cockpit seats and under the cockpit sole.
What I'm most curious about is how the sled attaches to the hull. I couldn't see that in Jim's Outrig video, and it would have to be a pretty serious hinge to take the whole thrust of the motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0036.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	90821  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28   #2928

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7a View Post
My boat has the 2-pipe slider, and while it's not as good as a sled, it does work as designed. The big downside of the stern mount is the weight; I've got about the lightest outboard going, but it still pulls the stern of my boat down noticeably. This brings the rudder hinge close to the waterline, enabling growth, and lets a bit more water collect in the cockpit seats and under the cockpit sole.
What I'm most curious about is how the sled attaches to the hull. I couldn't see that in Jim's Outrig video, and it would have to be a pretty serious hinge to take the whole thrust of the motor.
Appears as though yours was constructed a lot better than mine. I didn't keep the boat long enough to do anything about it. I ended up just leaving it down. The power tilt get everything out of the water.
Old 16-11-2014, 07:03   #2929

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

There is a huge, stable high pressure ridge extending from southwest of San Diego upwards to San Francisco, blocking all rain from coming my way. The temperature is forecast to be in the pleasant 70's, and the last coat of primer for the starboard deck trim went on yesterday. The long wait is over, and I can start doing the non-skid. This condition is looking to last for a while, so it's time to roll and tip and throw sand on the deck. Finally........
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 11:31   #2930

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Totally understand what you are saying Roy M. Here at Auckland NZ the winter is still trying to hang on. We have had several gales and stormy weather. I am really looking forward to the temps getting back to normal. Need to give the hulls a clean and do some sailing. Noticed my furler has jammed always something to fix after the winter. I can remember seeing somebody throwing sand onto wet paint as a decking material. With the sand sived a few times it was very impressive finish. Just bought myself a sextant and starting to use it... lots of fun
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2014, 12:23   #2931

Quote:
Just because I'm curious? How large is the OB? A 15hp long long shaft Honda 4 stroke didn't bother mine and seemed to achieve hull speed without bothering the lines when replacing a 9.9 OMC two stoke.

Two of those on sleds would probably be the nuts. I think maybe over powered?
Old 19-11-2014, 02:48   #2932

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
The long wait is over, and I can start doing the non-skid. This condition is looking to last for a while, so it's time to roll and tip and throw sand on the deck. Finally........
Roy,
It is very cold here today so no boat work this week. So, how's progress going in the warmer weather? Any pictures?
John B.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-11-2014, 07:31   #2933

Hi John, Our weather is mild, in the high sixties to low seventies, and the possibility of some light rain near the weekend. Yesterday I got the first real LPU of the trim painted on the starboard deck: the edges of the deck, the fillet along the cabinside, the trim around the wet hatches, the waterways that will define the nonskid bays. It was a warmer day than today will be, and I couldn't find my bottle of Sterling accelerator, so I took a chance and started early. It took about a half-liter (half a quart) to cover, to fill the openings in the bownet pinrails, and all the small details. I was done by lunchtime with only a couple issues (a stray bee, a few drips, some crud that blew onto the fresh paint, all of which were left to harden, except the bee who flew off). This morning I will give everything a light sanding with 220, wipe it down and kick the paint mix with accelerator to speed the curing. I will put the final coat tomorrow, the "shine" coat, just because I've put so much effort into this process and don't want to take any shortcuts now. Then I'll install the bow pulpit and starboard side stanchions, prior to masking for the actual nonskid. I'll take some detail photos to show my technique. I know there are some who don't like shiny boats, but, for me, it shows off the lines that I took so much time building and fairing, so I am paying for my own vanity. There are so many details. I'm going to hire someone smaller and more flexible than me to climb inside the floats to help me fasten the deck hardware. Most of the work I'm doing myself, but sometimes it's just more efficient to have a second pair of hands. So, pictures will be forthcoming later this week and beyond. I am trying to get the decks nonskidded and the cabinsides fully painted before taking on the cockpit. I haven't started any serious work on the hard dodger, yet, as I don't want to get overextended before the rains come (if ever). Things are certainly looking better, though.
Old 23-11-2014, 00:29   #2934

Boat: Searunner 31

Cadence,
My motor is a four stroke Honda 15 horse long shaft. I suspect the boat would move better with a faster bottom, but for my purposes things are well matched right now.
As for balance, I heard that the later plans for the 31' had a bit more volume in the main hull aft to support a motor. On my boat it's not a big issue, but it is awkward.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-11-2014, 08:39   #2935

Quote:
Cadence,
My motor is a four stroke Honda 15 horse long shaft. I suspect the boat would move better with a faster bottom, but for my purposes things are well matched right now.
As for balance, I heard that the later plans for the 31' had a bit more volume in the main hull aft to support a motor. On my boat it's not a big issue, but it is awkward.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I must have had a later one since the Honda 4 stroke 15 didn't noticeably effect the lines. When I bought it he had 4 6vs under the rear berth/table and I put an 8D there also. Since I was just trying to get home after buying it with marginal batteries, I didn't remove the old ones. That was a load of weight aft.
Old 23-11-2014, 18:43   #2936

Looks like the summer has turned up today for Auckland. Humidity for the first time this summer today has gone up. More of those living on boats now on Waiheke Island. And a mariner proposal that seems to unrest the locals somewhat. Lots of debate and now its gone all the way to the Environmental court to decide. It seems to be all about the rich moving in. My 37 ft Searunner is a small boat these days. Looks like this goodie woody Searunner isn't what people want now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture3 021.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	92240  
Old 24-11-2014, 09:04   #2937

So, is the environmental issue connected to more folks actually living for longer periods on their boats, more boats than the community can handle in terms of noise, solid waste, toilet waste, or is it that the wealthy don't want their view cluttered by beautiful boats such as yours?

By the way, your dodger, bimini and aft arch are stunning. Now that you are out and (hopefully) enjoying more of your summer, as opposed to having to work more meeting the needs of your customers, would you have the time to take some 360 degree photos of your arrangement, closer up? I am very impressed with the symmetry and balance your cockpit cover demonstrates. You did a first rate job on it. I'm especially interested in, what seems to appear in my imagination, a fixed after boom arch that the bimini is attached to. After I get the painting done, I will be commencing actual construction of the hard dodger and bimini. I know it's a little out of sequence, but the winter rains in Southern California may actually arrive this year, so I have to get as much deck and cabin paint applied as fast as possible. A beautiful boat, Ross, thanks for sharing.
Old 24-11-2014, 09:55   #2938

Quote:
So, is the environmental issue connected to more folks actually living for longer periods on their boats, more boats than the community can handle in terms of noise, solid waste, toilet waste, or is it that the wealthy don't want their view cluttered by beautiful boats such as yours?

By the way, your dodger, bimini and aft arch are stunning. Now that you are out and (hopefully) enjoying more of your summer, as opposed to having to work more meeting the needs of your customers, would you have the time to take some 360 degree photos of your arrangement, closer up? I am very impressed with the symmetry and balance your cockpit cover demonstrates. You did a first rate job on it. I'm especially interested in, what seems to appear in my imagination, a fixed after boom arch that the bimini is attached to. After I get the painting done, I will be commencing actual construction of the hard dodger and bimini. I know it's a little out of sequence, but the winter rains in Southern California may actually arrive this year, so I have to get as much deck and cabin paint applied as fast as possible. A beautiful boat, Ross, thanks for sharing.
Ditto, on your dodger, bimini and top.
Old 25-11-2014, 00:21   #2939

Thanks for kind remarks with my searunner. I cannot take the credit whatsoever cause it was all crafted prior to when i purchased the tri. It really is great in the winter with the webasto diesel heater flowing hot air from the stern castle and the forecastle which filters up to centre cockpit. walking about... going from the one end of the boat to other is warm in all weather. I will take some pics of it and post them. Actually taking off the mid bimini it feels like a convertible. Probably the wrong word for such a boat.
I have been looking at other vessels to purchase mono's and new tri's but i keep coming back to the searunner it seems to always have something the others dont have... the searunner really is quite remarkable even today.

On Waiheke island you could say 10 years ago it was a place for hippies and solo mums cheap houses and easy going life style. But like most places it changed radically with more people coming to life and then the multimillionaires building on the ridges for the views. This year three ferries a running multi trips a day fast its becoming a mega tourist spot.
Sailing has been a big part to the history of Waiheke but now its for the rich and slowly those living on boats are being told to move. Admittedly some characters with drinking problems have arisen and so its put burden on others. Just last month a vessel burst into fire and somebody lost their life inside burnt to a cinder.
I lived on the tri for a couple of years and loved it but found working and rowing to shore in all weather winter periods it got a bit hard with family.
So if i have answered the question Roy yes the rich are having impact and yes there has been more problems with more people living on vessels.
Probably the way the world is going now because of the costs living on the land. Living on a boat is not a bad option. Many are cruisers moving about and they seem to be around a long time like 10 years or more. Others stay in one spot and never move.
I have owned my searunner for 7 years i think or is it 8. I really need to go offshore next year. Its driving me mad not doing it. The business runs me and i wish i could run it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pics 068.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	92305   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 073.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	92306  

Name:	pics 044.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	92307   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-18 19.56.32.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	92308  

Old 29-11-2014, 11:53   #2940

Boat: 1971 Searunner 37

Good day, Fellow Searunners,

Have not posted in quite some time. Been slowly restoring and using my 1982 SR 37 down here in St. Thomas. Found her in Culebra in 2011, and since then she has given me and my wife many adventures and pleasure -even though I have only sailed around the USVI, BVI and SVI - having been as far east as North Sound on Virgin Gorda and as far west as Culebra.

Having issues with engine vibration and need to haul her this season for a new cutlass bearing, engine alignment and a new PSS. Does anyone know the shaft log (stern tube ) diameter of the 37 footer?

Thanks for the advice and input.
aquavitae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran