Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 10:25   #3121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

I don't have one of those...... My frequent comment when someone was telling me on the beach about what was currently broken on their boat; last winter in the Bahamas.

Shower
Wash down pump
Pressure water
Spreader lights
Tri color light
Stuffing box
Windlass
Watermaker
Screecher
Stereo
Satphone
Depth Sounder
Knotmeter/ wind speed
Inverter
Power tools

Lots a things don't need to get finished if you never bother and just go sailing. I do plan to ad a few conveniences before the next cruise, but you can really get along quite well without.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54   #3122

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I don't have one of those...... My frequent comment when someone was telling me on the beach about what was currently broken on their boat; last winter in the Bahamas.

Shower
Wash down pump
Pressure water
Spreader lights
Tri color light
Stuffing box
Windlass
Watermaker
Screecher
Stereo
Satphone
Depth Sounder
Knotmeter/ wind speed
Inverter
Power tools

Lots a things don't need to get finished if you never bother and just go sailing. I do plan to ad a few conveniences before the next cruise, but you can really get along quite well without.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:00   #3123

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

This is very true. Another good concept is- if it isn't broke don't fix it. Wait till those electronics die before you get the new version etc... That rigger knows a good thing when he sees it. I love my depth sounder and it was a freeby. In the remote wilds of the North my anchor didn't set and I hauled it up to find a old style lead line tangled up with it. It even had the hollow end for tallow to check the bottom. It doesn't need batteries, software updates and can be used to advantage in a dock fight. KiSS rules once you leave the marina.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 14:49   #3124

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Well, I guess I might have to defer on what is valuable and necessary to you three most knowledgeable folks. On the other hand, Some of us march to our own drummer. Having built the boat myself, well over 35 years ago, I have been fortunate to enjoy many pleasures of the life of being a cruiser and liveaboard. Having chosen, that long ago, to use the highest quality materials and products I could afford, I have been able to have a boat that has endured significant use (and some abuse). And as I approach my retirement from over forty years of working in the marine biz, I'm now able to plan on some very long cruises, far beyond the horizons I've already explored. Obviously, I'm not in the same category as you folks, but, then, we can't all be alike or this would be a world of cookie cutters. And, having made my living by building, repairing and modifying boats, I have acquired a pretty personal set of preferences that I don't expect of others. The 40 foot Brown Searunner was an early decision, and one that has been most productive. Having built a boat that was shiny, sailed fast, and was most comfortable, paid benefits when folks considered having me take a saw and grinder to their pride and joy. So, too, when it came to those lists you so kindly provided to us as guidance. They aren't included in your floating worlds, and they don't have to be. Those added items only provide pleasure to those who might appreciate them. Having installed these items on many boats, I was able to pick and choose the ones that met my own needs and desires. I'm very lucky in that respect. I've also been quite fortunate to have had a varied and rich experience working on a variety of craft, including dredges, fishing boats, research vessels, state of the art experimental craft, good boats, bad boats, beautiful and ghastly. Having recently received my sixth renewal on my 100 ton license (power and sail), I can still negotiate deliveries anywhere from Alaska to Panama, and so far, out to Hawaii. Those experiences have offered me a peek into what electronics are valuable, which ones are invaluable, and some that are totally useless. And, I've been fortunate to survive some harrowing times when things broke or went pear-shaped, but provided me with terrific "teaching moments". So, though the decisions I've made, in recent years, to equip my overhauled dream machine, are unfamiliar or uncomfortable for some others, I could give a fig, because those folks won't be aboard, and probably won't even be in the neighborhood of where I'm hoping to go.

I do find fault, however, in the "logic" that what isn't broken needn't need fixing. For most of my career messing with boats, I've learned some pretty valuable lessons that have saved my butt, and the butts of those who depended on me to equip and maintain their boats and crews. Preventive maintenance, basically fixing things that aren't "broke" yet, takes time, money, judgement and guts. Trusting in Murphy's Law gives an added advantage to folks who venture in risky situations. Planning for good things and bad things takes extra effort and imagination. Not everyone has this ability. Those who do tend to suffer less severe surprises than the bolder skipper.

And, while some tougher, bolder, and more colorful old salts may decry the merits of modern technology, those of us who are reaching a riper age, and possibly deeper range of experiences, are appreciating some new stuff. Windlasses, bigger winches, roller furling sails, RIBs, communications, refrigeration systems, dependable engines and steering systems, situational awareness (knowing what's out there that could bite you), multiple layers of navigation, including radar, forward looking sonar and AIS, become more enjoyable. Especially, if you know how to install them, maintain them, use them, and know what to do when they aren't available. But then, acquiring that level of knowledge, experience and judgement doesn't come overnight or by accident.

So, despite my whining about interminable sanding and painting, I am confident that I will be spending far less time than most, "repairing my boat in exotic locales", which, I've been told by some of my oldest cruising buddies, is the classic description of cruising. And the more I see on Cruisers Forum, it's a common refrain. And I guess, the bottom line is this. We each largely get to choose what we want and how we will get it, and we all end up in the same state when the cruise through life is over. So, I choose to hang out with folks I enjoy, doing things that make me happy and feeling productive, and engaging in a lifestyle that makes perfect sense to me, if no one else.

Hopefully, this time next year, I'll be somewhere over the horizon, headed for Hawaii, the Pacific Northwest, and then homeward to San Diego. And, if things continue to work out, I'll be expanding that looping trajectory to further reaches in all directions. It works for me.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 15:07   #3125

You and your figs Roy....I'll borrow a fig leaf for modesty but I do really good work too but have a flexable finish sense from piano quality to trowel depending on the use and the speed use is required. Don't be bothered by my cavalier attitude but for me succesful cruising is not needing to work on the boat in exotic locals too. Nothing like an extra week in paradise but having to spend it in the bilge. You obviously are doing what you need to to enjoy your boat the way you like to so carry on and ignore our suggestions. I have seen many peope spend a lifetime on a build or preparation but never get to go anywhere do to life changes. Who knows? For some the growth in life experiances is gained on the dock. After all the true journeys are often within for the journeymen of life.

I use the best quality too as it is more economical in the long run. This is why so many of my things are now antiques, I won't stop for just any run of the mill lead line.
Old 06-06-2015, 15:12   #3126

I sail using Ramsey's law which states that Murphy was a raving optimist.
Old 06-06-2015, 15:17   #3127

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
I sail using Ramsey's law which states that Murphy was a raving optimist.
Love it!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:24   #3128

Boat: Boatless

Quote:

Shower
Wash down pump
Pressure water
Spreader lights
Tri color light
Stuffing box
Windlass
Watermaker
Screecher
Stereo
Satphone
Depth Sounder
Knotmeter/ wind speed
Inverter
Power tools

Wow I'm jealous. You have ALL those things? I got a tri-color and exchanged my lead line for a depth sounder 2 years ago - that's it excepting a radio.

Every once in awhile I consider moving into the 20th century.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:36   #3129

On the list I have
1 a solar shower that gets used in the stand up part of the pilot house with a direct drain, no pump, overboard.

2 Screecher- I took a budget suggestion from a cat sailor and got a large, under 4 ounce, full cut genoa. We get light wind days and this handles the angles the chute doesn't cover. We set it flying and it works great. Cost $150.

3 Depth Sounder-the lead line

4 Inverter-a small portable unit to handle cell phone and laptop chargers.

The things I'd like to have are a portable manual watermaker for exersize, a knotmeter for sail trim checking and a satphone. In about that order.

1-4 have all been implemented in a low cost, low complexity, durable way. Successful gadgets use fewer wadgets...

I agree with Roy that modern electronics have some wonderful things to offer. If I ever get any they will be portable, low power draw versions. What I don't like is the industry marketing that has convinced so many people that there are so many expensive things they can't cruise without. Every time I hear of a boat abandoning its cruise because the gizmos got fried in lightning strike I think they shouldn't be out there in the first place.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:08   #3130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
On the list I have
1 a solar shower that gets used in the stand up part of the pilot house with a direct drain, no pump, overboard.

2 Screecher- I took a budget suggestion from a cat sailor and got a large, under 4 ounce, full cut genoa. We get light wind days and this handles the angles the chute doesn't cover. We set it flying and it works great. Cost $150.

3 Depth Sounder-the lead line

4 Inverter-a small portable unit to handle cell phone and laptop chargers.

The things I'd like to have are a portable manual watermaker for exersize, a knotmeter for sail trim checking and a satphone. In about that order.

1-4 have all been implemented in a low cost, low complexity, durable way. Successful gadgets use fewer wadgets...

I agree with Roy that modern electronics have some wonderful things to offer. If I ever get any they will be portable, low power draw versions. What I don't like is the industry marketing that has convinced so many people that there are so many expensive things they can't cruise without. Every time I hear of a boat abandoning its cruise because the gizmos got fried in lightning strike I think they shouldn't be out there in the first place.
Solar shower! Got one and am thinking about enclosing it in an insulated box I can keep on deck- lots of uses.

How about roller furling? I like my hank on but . . . am getting older and lazier single handing my big genoa can be a pain. Never use my Symmetrical Spinnaker unfortunately - am talking to a sail maker about making a reacher OR maybe just put in a roller furling and convert the genoa. Otherwise just keep using what I got and sailing the sub forestay with my yankee if there is a chance of big wind. Slower but easy enough!

Refrigeration over-rated IMO but . . . a friend just offered me a 12v cooler! Hmmmm?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:18   #3131
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I do have a lead line and a solar shower. Going to get a few newer smaller ones for the next bahamas cruise. Also a shower stall in the port hull and I cn pump out a sump using small y valve on the head intake line and clean the toilet t the same time!

With all due respect, Roy seems like the type a Guy that really just rather work on his boat instead of go cruising. It's worked for 40 years so why mess with it. I just hope he saves a bit of money for when he needs to move off the boat.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:27   #3132

A roller furling jib is about the 1 expensive upgrade I'd recommend. They make life much easier and safer as you don't put off reefing because its a pain. The wind dropped 10 minutes later? Roll it back out. Our set up includes genoa cars adapted into a towing set up to adjust the sheet leads without leaving the cockpit. We use Hood Sea Furl 5 and it has been great.
The furler and a staysail stay with running backs for heavy weather were the first 2 upgrades we did to the boat. Our forstay is set back from the bow, unlike a Searunner, so we in effect wind up with a built in bowsprit when we run the screecher out to the nose. One with a wire luff is what to look for.

The chute set up I described back in Febuary is a great way to fly without a pole.

The only thing I'll say about accesories is to make sure you can keep things charged. Along the slippery slope solar cells have my vote becuse they don't use gas.

I'm going to sketch out and post a mainsheet system I was just introduced to that I think is great for short handed work.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:45   #3133

Quote:
With all due respect, Roy seems like the type a Guy that really just rather work on his boat instead of go cruising. It's worked for 40 years so why mess with it. I just hope he saves a bit of money for when he needs to move off the boat.
Different strokes. My boat is camping - even though I got a temporpedic in the stern, LOL - still camping. Sounds like Roy's idea has a bit more comfort! Who can object?
Old 07-06-2015, 09:09   #3134

All right, we all know how crappy my fast sketches are but this can be deciphered I hope. Gentleman and scholar Tom Speers posted this Chris White designed system over on boatdesign. It is one of those things that it is so simple you kick yourself for not having thought of it.

It is a continous line vang/preventer system that gives the range of control offered by a full boat width curved traveler without the cost and hardware. The ends of the line are attached to the boom and go out to blocks on the outer beam/amas etc... then run to the cockpit where they can be cleated. Tom uses his secondary winches and line clutches but the mainsheet can provide adjusting power so the torque isn't needed if you fine tune that way. A continuos line isn't needed but cuts down on the spagetti. The beauty is you wind up with a off wind preventer without having to leave the cockpit. Bear down wind, dump the main and put the boom where you want it with the vang/preventer, tighten the mainsheet to take the twist out. Reaching- the same = full travel main twist control and jibe protection. The outer block mountings have to be strong as the loads are high (think jibe) and the mainsheet is now just a centerline mounted tackle. I've attempted to show the set up on a Searunner where the mainsheet has to be led to one side of the hatch.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:19   #3135

vang/preventer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0607150842a.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	103335