Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 14:31   #3316

Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Otter Jim View Post
Here is a photo from our first race of the season a week ago.11 boats total finished 5 overall weather was great in low 80s.next race in 2 weeks.
Is that a 37?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 15:43   #3317
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I received the following PM last week between WiFi hotspots on my trip down to Vero Beach.

Opinions on Vardo vs Searunner

Hi Boatguy30,

I wanted to ask you about how you feel about the Woods designs compared to a Searunner. I actually found the Woods web pages a few months ago as part of the my research, and had thought that the Vardo was the best for my cruising plans. I think Richard is using the pictures of your build to illustrate it even.

But I tend to like trimarans better than cats, and noticed the many happy SR owners. So now I am torn. I think I saw a post where you were mentioning the Vardo takes less material to build, goes faster and carries more, so maybe that is the answer.

A modernized SR, with all the improvements people have made over the years, would be very nice. So I am having a hard time deciding. Any thoughts?

- Keith
Old 02-12-2015, 15:59   #3318
Marine Service Provider

Keith-
the only "modernized" searunner I'm aware of is a SR 40 in Seattle area that is open wing with a set of Kurt Hughes designed amas. I really like the SR 37 especially for a family if you have one built from plans sold after 1978 as John Marples tells me the plans were changed then to reflect the SR 34 main hull improvements.

I had written previously on this thread that I felt the Vardo was a modernization of the Searunner concept. Some didn't agree with that, but anyone that has been on of better yet sailed on my boat could care less about that and want to buy of build one themselves.

On a side note we were sailing the Indian River just inshore of Cape Canaveral Thanksgiving day. There is no tide or current in this area, but the wind was gusting to perhaps 30 knots maybe a bit more. We were generally beam reaching, but I had the mainsail just a bit overtrimmed as in gust the wind goes forward as apparent builds.

Long story short, slightly over canvassed; cruising and maybe 60% payload we did 14knots in flat water. Autopilot steering, kids playing cards at the saloon table with my wife. They did poke their heads out anew times to check the speed! Was also towing our new 11' cat dinghy. Had several bursts into the 12-13 knot range. Windward hull was lifting somewhat, but far from flying. As the water was shallow I was happy to push things somewhat as a recovery would have been easy. But honestly, it seemed very in control.
Old 02-12-2015, 16:06   #3319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I received the following PM last week between WiFi hotspots on my trip down to Vero Beach.

Hi Boatguy30,

I wanted to ask you about how you feel about the Woods designs compared to a Searunner. I actually found the Woods web pages a few months ago as part of the my research, and had thought that the Vardo was the best for my cruising plans. I think Richard is using the pictures of your build to illustrate it even.

But I tend to like trimarans better than cats, and noticed the many happy SR owners. So now I am torn. I think I saw a post where you were mentioning the Vardo takes less material to build, goes faster and carries more, so maybe that is the answer.

A modernized SR, with all the improvements people have made over the years, would be very nice. So I am having a hard time deciding. Any thoughts?

- Keith
A few of the trimaran designs by John Marples were considered by Jim Brown himself to be "modernized" Searunners.
Old 02-12-2015, 16:22   #3320
Marine Service Provider

I took his question to be about SR trimirans as he seems to be interested in an apples to apples comparison of the 2 different boats built basically exactly the same way with roughly the same materials. Flat panel sheet ply.
Old 02-12-2015, 18:02   #3321

Boat: 37 Searunner

Magentawave yes she is a 37 she does pretty good for a 40 y old boat.In 1978 the 2nd owner entered in the single handed farallones race and finished 3rd out of 58 boats.The boat was called triessence and was entered in the first single handed transpac but didn't start and I haven't been able to find out what happened.
Sea Otter Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:17   #3322

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

Hi Boatguy30,

- Keith
I agree on the tri being preferable to a cat, maybe just in my warped mind. Pitch poling seems less likely, down side is beam and less interior space in most cases.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 17:40   #3323

Does anyone know where I can find the line drawings for John Marples CC35 center cockpit tri? I have looked everyone online, including Google images, and can't find them.

Thanks
Old 13-12-2015, 17:48   #3324
Marine Service Provider

I think on marples site their are ancrw drawings. Interior wise it is between a SR 31 nada a 34. Probably closer in payload to a 31 especially with an inboard.
Old 13-12-2015, 19:13   #3325

Thanks, but no, there is nothing on John's site. John is definitely old school.
Old 13-12-2015, 20:17   #3326

Boat: Farrier f27

Magentawave, I've got a set of plans. I imagine I could photo a page or 2. John sells study plans for a nominal fee. Anything specific you want to look at?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 04:11   #3327
Marine Service Provider

Ok, I think there is an Australian agent that has more on their site.
Old 14-12-2015, 04:38   #3328

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Does anyone know where I can find the line drawings for John Marples CC35 center cockpit tri? I have looked everyone online, including Google images, and can't find them.

Thanks
John Marples will sell individual drawings on request. I have purchased a few from him and the prices are very reasonable. Just send him an email.
Old 14-12-2015, 09:09   #3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Magentawave, I've got a set of plans. I imagine I could photo a page or 2. John sells study plans for a nominal fee. Anything specific you want to look at?

That would be awesome if you get a chance, please and thank you. Perhaps you could post them here? I'm interested in seeing line drawings similar to the ones below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	----.jpg
Views:	5202
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	115010   Click image for larger version

Name:	-.gif
Views:	1027
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	115013  

Attached Images

Old 14-12-2015, 11:27   #3330

Boat: Farrier f27

Try this, I'm not sure wether the details will come through well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450121169425.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	115023   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450121190440.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	115024  

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote