Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 12:24   #3496

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Bob Dixon, for those who care, is a guy. I have known very well for over thirty years. He has More multihull sea miles than anyone I know. I've crewed with him on YANMAR ENDEAVOUR, setting the record for a diesel powered outboard transit from San Francisco to Honolulu, he has worked on many of the fastest multi in the world, he has survived more capsizes than anyone I know. I have worked with him on multiple projects, both marine and fanciful. I also know more about this complaint than the complainant is revealing. Suffice it to say there is more to this than a simple misunderstanding. And give me a break, a bid a year and a half ago? Something else is in operation here. I stand with Bob. Thanks.
You have it right! There are two sides to every story.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 12:29   #3497

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Bob Dixon, for those who care, is a guy. I have known very well for over thirty years. He has More multihull sea miles than anyone I know. I've crewed with him on YANMAR ENDEAVOUR, setting the record for a diesel powered outboard transit from San Francisco to Honolulu, he has worked on many of the fastest multi in the world, he has survived more capsizes than anyone I know. I have worked with him on multiple projects, both marine and fanciful. I also know more about this complaint than the complainant is revealing. Suffice it to say there is more to this than a simple misunderstanding. And give me a break, a bid a year and a half ago? Something else is in operation here. I stand with Bob. Thanks.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 15:33   #3498

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Has anyone figured out the ideal outboard for the Searunner 31? Just wondering what you're all using.
I see on Jim Brown's spec guide, he lists 25 hp as the max for the 31. Going from memory here, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks in advance!
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:43   #3499

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
What on earth is a sexist swindler?
DJT
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 17:52   #3500

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Has anyone figured out the ideal outboard for the Searunner 31? Just wondering what you're all using.
I see on Jim Brown's spec guide, he lists 25 hp as the max for the 31. Going from memory here, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks in advance!
Jim Brown has a 9.9 on his, as do I. Lateral lift. A friend has a 20hp carried on the stern. He tells me it does just a little better than his previous 9.9.

IMO the 9.9 is fine for the 31. Will a higher hp help you out more in rough conditions when you're going to be sailing anyway? Maybe. In normal conditions my 9.9 will push me a long at 5 knots easily and more in flat calm conditions.

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 19:42   #3501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Jim Brown has a 9.9 on his, as do I. Lateral lift. A friend has a 20hp carried on the stern. He tells me it does just a little better than his previous 9.9.

IMO the 9.9 is fine for the 31. Will a higher hp help you out more in rough conditions when you're going to be sailing anyway? Maybe. In normal conditions my 9.9 will push me a long at 5 knots easily and more in flat calm conditions.

J
Thanks! Jimske.
That's good info to know!
Old 21-10-2016, 14:15   #3502

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Thanks in advance!
My 28 hp Volvo Model 2003 diesel on my Searunner 37 died so I installed two 15hp outboards. They are located amidships, not on a float but on outboard brackets. I have also installed dual steering stations so each station has a control for the each engine, i.e. the port steering station controls the port engine, the starboard steering station controls the starboard engine.

I haven't launched the boat yet so I don't know how well the system will work, but I am confident it will work fine. I like outboards because they are simple and easy to work on. Both of mine are two-strokes, a 1979 manual start and a 1982 electric start.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	133393  
Old 21-10-2016, 14:35   #3503

Quote:
Thanks! Jimske.
That's good info to know!
I put a Honda 15 four stroke long leg on a SR31. Mounted on the stern and got 7.5 kns at .75 gph. at about 3/4 throttle The only problem was low speed steerage with no prop wash on the rudder. Bought an outboard cable to tie to the cable steering problem solved. I believe 7.5 is hull speed under power. I could get 8 but I'm sure it was fuel consuming. MHO
Old 21-10-2016, 17:05   #3504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I put a Honda 15 four stroke long leg on a SR31. Mounted on the stern and got 7.5 kns at .75 gph. at about 3/4 throttle The only problem was low speed steerage with no prop wash on the rudder. Bought an outboard cable to tie to the cable steering problem solved. I believe 7.5 is hull speed under power. I could get 8 but I'm sure it was fuel consuming. MHO
Do you think I'd need a 20" shaft or would the 15" shaft be sufficient to prevent cavitation?
The motor mount slide goes most of the way down the stern (guessing a few inches above waterline.

I like the idea of the twin outboards sort of midships! Innovative idea!
Old 21-10-2016, 17:24   #3505
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

John-

That certainly is a different approach! SR 40 Jade did a 3,000 mile Caribbean circuit last winter with a 2 Y/o 9.9 (4 stroke)hp transom hung outboard and whip staff steering!

2 stroke is useful as a backup engine but 4 is WAY better for main propulsion and quiet efficiency.

Run a Yamaha 8 and 5 hp 2 stroke on my 11,000 lb 34 cat.
Old 21-10-2016, 17:25   #3506
Marine Service Provider

That is they had a 2y/o daughter and somewhat older outboard!
Old 21-10-2016, 17:27   #3507
Marine Service Provider

original owner/builder of Jade told me he was working on a sawmill in Oregon in the 70s when he build the 40. Supposedly he hand selected the logs made into his plywood.

Boat has still had plenty of rot issues.
Old 22-10-2016, 09:31   #3508

Quote:
Do you think I'd need a 20" shaft or would the 15" shaft be sufficient to prevent cavitation?
The motor mount slide goes most of the way down the stern (guessing a few inches above waterline.

I like the idea of the twin outboards sort of midships! Innovative idea!
I liked the 25" I think. The longest Honda made with the 15HP four stroke. I think they made it as a sail drive. I would not even consider a 15" leg. JMHO
Old 22-10-2016, 11:01   #3509

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I agree on the 25" depth, a Searunner transom moves around a fair bit. I also think the motor to use is a Yamaha hi thrust. The 9.9 would be the biggest you'd need, if they make a 8 it would be plenty.

We use a single 9.9 on the 37' Vagabond and it will push through substantial wind and seas. Ours is on the transom and doesn't start hopping till we are pushing into closely spaced 4'+ vertical chop. The Nicol carries its beam and a flat run further aft than a Searunner though, if I was powering a 31 I'd put a sled like Jim's on. We can get 7 knots out of ours and cruise close to 6 using 5/8s gallon an hour, improving if we cruse just over 5 knots.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 19:38   #3510

Boat: Searunner 31

Cavalier speaks my mind. My 31 came with a Yamaha but now has a Honda 9.9 long shaft modified to 15hp. The extra power definitely helps in a chop, but the Honda is sensitive to water through the case, and as mentioned above the stern of the 31 moves around a lot. Jim's design for a sled is on my list of improvements. Overall, a smaller lighter motor with some protection from seas is probably better than a heavy 25 on the stern. I have also considered an electric sail drive, and like the looks of the Lehr 15 propane motor.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran