Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.26 average. Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 06:54   #376

Boat: Farrier f27
Nice clean foredeck Roy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 14:14   #377

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Hi guys. I'm in the final stages of installing the aft-most fixed ports and opening "window" in the sterncastle. I got a good first coat of paint on the cabinsides, so I'll be sending some pics soon. Thanks for your patience. Happy Holidays.
So um, how did that go? I'm hoping well enough to take some photos. I really am looking for what could be considered best practices.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 15:31   #378

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Geez, Maren, now I'm getting embarassed. Randy came over last week for the nickel tour, meaning he had to step over lots of stuff in the way. I got distracted by a battery installation project that took on a life of its own, but has kept me from cleaning things up. Good thing my neighbors at the yacht club are understanding folks. I'll try to get some pics out soon, though. Thanks for keeping on me.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:02   #379

For those that have one of the larger Searunner models, say 40'+, what combination of engine and prop are you using? More importantly, how do you like it?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23   #380

Yanmar 3GM30F, a 17' X 1" shaft, supported at each 40" frame by a pillar block bearing, shaft log and cutlass bearing. Prop is a Martec Mark III folding prop (18" X?). If I were richer, I'd have a Gori 3-blade folding prop for better reverse performance, but the Martec isn't a bad compromise. I love the Yanmar (and hated the Volvo MD2B that preceded it)
Old 06-08-2009, 19:45   #381

Boat: Brown Searunner 40, Mako 191 w/130 Honda
Yanmar over Volvo

[ I love the Yanmar (and hated the Volvo MD2B that preceded it)[/quote]

Why did you hate the Volvo?
Voyager Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:26   #382

Voyager Mark:

1. Dependability: The Yanmar is so far ahead of the Volvo, they can't even be placed in the same conversation. The Seven Seas Cruising Association, a couple years ago, had a poll. Yanmar the the good end, and way behind, at the very end of the poll, the Volvo.
2. Three cylinders vs. two cylinders. My coffee cup would regularly dance when the Volvo was throwing that enormous flywheel around using two cylinders. The Yanmar is like having the boat powered by a sewing machine.
3. Weight: about two hundred pounds difference, freeing up the extra payload for more peanut butter.
4. Lower profile, lowering the center of gravity further.
5. Freshwater cooling versus saltwater cooling(I eventually had to convert the Volvo with an expensive piggyback pump and heat exchanger just to get it to run at a reasonable temperature.
6. The ONLY thing I miss about the Volvo was the ability to hand crank it. Though both motors have compression releasers, only the Volvo came with a hand crank and the space to fit one. Starting both engines with the compression release, first, gets lots of oil in the galleries before serious engine starting begins.
7. I also liked having the oil plug on the Volvo at the bottom of the pan, which connected to a hose and a small in-line valve for draining oil during changes. If I pull the Yanmar sometime (pretty easy to do using the main halyard and a chain hoist for the first step), I'll have a drain plug welded or tapped.
8. The Yanmar parts are more available worldwide, and seem to hold up better. That rough motion of the Volvo can break motor mount brackets (I've seen this on a number of Volvo MD2B units (which, fortunately, are rarer and rarer).
9. I hated the color (pukey green versus really cool silver). There, I think I've exhausted every single complaint and purged my spleen of any remaining negativity for the Volvo. I can now float on a cloud, silver-lined, of course.

For the record, the Yanmars now have a new model, the YM series, that is even more compact, that I would consider for my Searunner 40.
Old 07-08-2009, 15:33   #383

Boat: Brown Searunner 40, Mako 191 w/130 Honda
Stuck with Volvo

My project boat came with a New never run Volvo M2B, not sure as how old, my next task is to instal the motor prior to the cabin side and cockpit completion. I'm a Honda marine mechanic among other things and I don't have the budget for a new Yanmar. The noise and vibration is a big worry with this motor for me, I'm use to sucking out oil and extra proper care of motors will improve reliability unless it brakes due to vibration.
Thank you very much for the information and the quick reply
Voyager Mark
Voyager Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:36   #384

Boat: in between boats
Cool any info on searunner 40 appreciated

Hi,
Larryb here. New member to Cruisers Forum.
I am currently in Laughlin NV., slave to the poker industry.
I am seriously considering purchasing a 40' searunner. Yep, I am going to the dark side. This will be my 5th sailboat, and possibly my last, since I plan cruising again until the end. I fell in love ith the searunner when I was aboard one in Puerto Vallarta Marina when I was cruising a 30' Tartan. I was mostly taken by the seperate cabins and the almas storage for snorkle gear and surf boards, and of couse the 800sq ft of deck.
Please, I am interested in sailing characteistics and creature comfort. How stabe they are in a rolly anchorage and moderate seas. I would greatly appreciate any and all insight, input and advice. Personal testimony and views of the 40 searunner, both accolades and negatives concerning the design.
Persuing a dream that was temporarily interupted, about ten years!!. My plans and hopes are to be back on the water before the first of the year, and cruising the left coast, somewhere and anywhere between Zwhat and SF
Fairwinds and Neptunes mercy to us all,
Larryb
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 23:03   #385

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
outboard slide & composites

hi,
i have a 31ft A-Arm searunner that i am in the process of restoring. i had originally just about given up on it, but the "synthetic searunner" has motivated and inspired me. i had a few questions about how the outboard mounts on the transom. what are you using for slides? can someone get me a detailed closeup picture? the "synthetic searunner has also got me thinking a bit. has anyone used carbon chainplates? i kindof like the idea of chainplates that dont rust and are epoxied in place with no leaks. has anyone done this?
v/r
Robert
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:07   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
i had a few questions about how the outboard mounts on the transom. what are you using for slides? can someone get me a detailed closeup picture?
Here are a couple from mine. It's powder coated aluminum. The slot is so water drains. Overall, this isn't the design I would have come up with -- I would have something that articulated so I could pull the whole thing out of the water when not in use and would not have it bolted on the outside.

... but it will do for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard1.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	9240   Click image for larger version

Name:	outboard2.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	9241  

Maren

Old 08-08-2009, 08:06   #387

Voyager Mark, an option for you is to sell the never-used Volvo on E-Bay. When I pulled my old engine out of the boat, I tried to sell it on some websites. I got no answers, at first, so I junked it into the dumpster at the yacht club. For many months afterward I was getting requests for spare parts. I could have made some real money toward purchase of the Yanmar. I can't suggest strongly enough how much more successful your cruising plans will be when you have a dependable, smooth running diesel for your Searunner. E-Bay has changed everything. Now there is an international market for your engine. It's cheaper for someone to remove their old Volvo MD2B and replace it with a new one, than to buy a new Yanmar, rebuild the engine bed, possibly have to realign the shaft, do all the electrics cable harnesses, throttle and shift linkages, etc., etc. Sell the Volvo.
Old 10-08-2009, 19:47   #388

Boat: Searunner 31
Good old Boat had some nice pics of the outboard "pod" on Jim Brown's 31' Scrimshaw. It's like a tiny yawl boat that lowers between the ama and vaka - pretty cool arrangement. Floats up and down in swells.

SEARUNNER 31
BY GENE BJERKE
Searunner 31: Gene shares a couple of days with Jim Brown, designer of the Searunner trimarans. Key words: multihull, trimaran, John marples, Scrimshaw, Searunner resources

Article Number: 3086
Issue: 50-sept/oct 06
Page No: 9-13
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53   #389

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Outboard slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
hi,
i have a 31ft A-Arm searunner that i am in the process of restoring. i had originally just about given up on it, but the "synthetic searunner" has motivated and inspired me. i had a few questions about how the outboard mounts on the transom. what are you using for slides? can someone get me a detailed closeup picture? the "synthetic searunner has also got me thinking a bit. has anyone used carbon chainplates? i kindof like the idea of chainplates that dont rust and are epoxied in place with no leaks. has anyone done this?
v/r
Robert
The 31 I bought had pipe as slides. Not very successful. I ended up with a long footed Honda. setting the mount at a fixed position allowed the tilt to have everything out of the water. Be prepared to provide steering to the OB. Low speed steering was non existent with the tiller, as was reverse.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52   #390

Boat: Boatless
Outboard mount

My 31 A frame (Drole D'Oiseau) has this same mount. Not designed to float though. The weight of the 9.9 will easily sink the mount. The design does protect the head and works well except. . . This design really only works well in fairly calm conditions since it can easily come out of the water on a port tack and swamp on a starboard tack. The boat is designed to sail not to motor. You really need an inboard if you expect to motor in any kind sea.

Perhaps having it on the stern would allow motoring in rougher conditions.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7a View Post
Good old Boat had some nice pics of the outboard "pod" on Jim Brown's 31' Scrimshaw. It's like a tiny yawl boat that lowers between the ama and vaka - pretty cool arrangement. Floats up and down in swells.

SEARUNNER 31
BY GENE BJERKE
Searunner 31: Gene shares a couple of days with Jim Brown, designer of the Searunner trimarans. Key words: multihull, trimaran, John marples, Scrimshaw, Searunner resources

Article Number: 3086
Issue: 50-sept/oct 06
Page No: 9-13
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran