Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 06:33   #4336

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

So, perhaps you should consider a longer shaft, relocating the Cutlass bearing to provide your prop adequate clearance and diameter/pitch?

I know, that's a lot of work and money, and you just want to get home, so why not put an outboard on the transom, then sell it when you get home?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 00:48   #4337

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Nice to see you back Roy M.
when I installed my new yanmar on my 37 SR luckily made new bearers and placed it just in behind the Centreboard case. Best thing I ever did.
I bought a Gori prop folding 2 blade. I was wanting the 3 blade folding but it was just too expensive. It was calculated and made by the manufacturers and it was absolutely perfect. Amazing how it achieves the 3600 RPM with the 30HP Yanmar. If I have a clean hull and lightish boat I can almost get 9 knots. It is impressive. But BOY! does it rev at 3600. I wouldn't stay there long as it obviously is almost screaming. But that is the specs for this engine. If I do 2000 I am doing 5 knots. 1 litre an hour. Its impressive. I was so lucky that it all worked to perfection.
If your going to get a prop maybe get a second hand one and then spend some time getting a getting the pro's to get the perfect pitch and blade area shape.
Kiwi props are pretty cheap. Or something like that and use it as a spare.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 00:50   #4338

The folding 3 bladed Gori prop is magic. It creates another gear with the blades on the other side so to speak and it saves fuel.
Old 01-08-2019, 19:26   #4339

Good Searunners are hard to find heres on in NZ
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...908616a149-001
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16   #4340

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Lotsa nice features on this one, course ya gotta pay up.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 20:58   #4341

Boat: Still building

But considering it's a two year old complete refit, with most electronics and appliances ditto, it's virtually a new boat.

So for the money, that makes it exceptional value.

Not that I'm making the comparison, but if you wanted to buy a 34' trimaran from NEEL or someone like that, you'd be looking at three to five times that cost.

Even a similar sized Farrier would be double that, with all those acessories, and way less liveable.

Although a strictly 'racer' spec Farrier might be similar money upfront, you'd then have to up-spec it to the same level as the Searunner.

And it probably then wouldn't be all that much faster than the Searunner....

Saw a comparable condition Farrier Command 10 a couple years back was asking AUS$85K, and its systems werent' as 'new' as this NZ Searunner.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 23:08   #4342

Here is another which is amazing really for the money
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...f42c5a0f1d-001
Old 04-08-2019, 07:05   #4343

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
Here is another which is amazing really for the money
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...f42c5a0f1d-001
Nice boat ... like the curved Traveller for the aft mast.

38 years ago built. ~40 Thousand Euros for a 41 ft 2-masted Tri with aft cabin ???!!! - Its worth to take a closer look at. :-) Pitty North Europe is so far away from.

Never sailed this type (but would like). - How it feels to have such a Tri under the feet ? - This boat has 2 masts of same hight = sketch (cross between schooner and ketch). Found a picture how this Tri looks under sails

The sail plan drawing ...

Cool :-)

(P.S.: This Tri originally had floats as water ballast. The water was automatically dumped from the leeward one and retained in the windward.)
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 00:27   #4344

Hi everyone,

I work for a charity called Sustainable Coastlines (Sustainable Coastlines :: Home). We are thinking about purchasing a 1978 Jim Brown 37 to help with this mission.

I have done heaps of sailing offshore, but have never owned a boat, so thought I would call upon you wise souls for some advice before making the purchase. Any help we could get would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the listing for the boat:https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boa...98846d5a10-004

Questions:

1) It was last surveyed professionally in 2009. Should I pay to haul it out and get a survey/hull tap done before purchasing?
2) What are the things that I should look for that are known to become issues with a GOP vessel like this?
3) The boat has no shower and I am going to want one. How would you recommend going about this in terms of setting up the drain/pump? I imagine a califont would be the best option for this?
4) How much payload (e.g. rubbish collected from the coastlines) could she handle without affecting performance and safety too much?
5) What would be the reasonable value for such a vessel (assuming the hull turns out to be ok)?
6) Does anyone have experience parking the vessel on a beach/estuary? I imaging I could pull up the centreboard and do this ok if I put timbers underneath the outside hulls to keep her steady? The reason being that I have a holiday house with an estuary that drains out at high tide.
7) In shallow water, what is the steering like with the centreboard up?
8) Any other tips for an up and coming sea dog who works for a good cause?

Many thanks in advance for your help! Apologies if some of these answers are already in the thread - it is super long and I couldn't find a search function!

Lots of karma points on offer for those who can help.

Sam Judd
Co Founder
Sustainable Coastlines
sam@sustainablecoastlines.org
+64 21 058 9349
Sustainable Coastlines :: Home
samjuddnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 13:58   #4345

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

i HAVE read all of this thread, and took screenshots of many posts, but i cannot find a discussion of SR37 hobby horsing that is alleged to occur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachting
hobby-horsing are owner complaints with the 31 and 37,
Would anyone with experience with the SR 37 like to chime in here?

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 15:17   #4346

Important to get this very clear.
My Searunner 37 doesn't hobby horse it boogies meaning it goes nicely through wave action. If you know how to present them they will go anywhere.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:42   #4347

WANTED: Searunner or Marples CC

Hi. I'm on the west coast (San Diego) and I'm looking for a nice Searunner 34 or a Marples CC 35 to go long distance cruising. Any and all leads will be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE PM ME WITH INFO.

Thanks!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 17:44   #4348

For those who own Searunners in Northern waters. How are you heating the interior? Solid fuel stove? Oil or propane furnace?
oscoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 20:17   #4349

I have a Webasto Heater placed in my port arma. Its pumps hot air to the stern and forecastle. Brilliant because when I close off the cockpit area the warm air flow between the two areas. If its very cold I would close off the forecastle ducting and the stern gets very warm T Shirt weather in zero degrees C.
A silent system that makes for very comfortable space.
Old 06-09-2019, 13:25   #4350

Another newbie question. How do I get a 31 Searunner A-frame out of the water for the winter? Will a travel lift, assuming it is wide enough, do the job without crushing the hulls? Or do I need a crane and wire harness?
oscoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran