Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 14:09   #4516

Boat: SeaRunner 25, SeaRunner 37, 56-foot sailing fishing trimaran, (current) Oceanic Proa, 24 feet
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i just got off the horn with a guy selling a CC35. Love the boat, except for the headroom. i'm 6'2" and a berth of 6'0" just doesn't cut it. 5'10" under the bimini is not real cool either. The website says that the CC35 has 6'4" headroom, well maybe in the galley if you stand in just the right place. Otherwise, NO! Which means when the boat rocks, you bump your head. Not fun!

Does anyone know the real headroom (and length of the berths) in the SR37, SR40 or CC40?

Thanks
jon
Aloha LongJonSilver

I've known Jim since I walked into his design studio in Davenport, California, sixteen years old in 1968, bought a set of plans for a SeaRunner 25 and built the boat the next year.

Finding her a bit small, wet, and cold, I sold her and built a 37 in 1970 when I was 19. Had that boat for 6 years.

Jim is 6'-2", and all his boats were designed with his need for headroom in mind. I believe there's a little less going under the "main strength bulkheads" in the forward and stern cabins, meaning you might need to duck, but on either side of them, there's four or five inches at least over my 6'-0" height. I'm doing this from memory since I sold my 37 in 1978.

Both the 37 or 40 are spacious and roomy boats inside. I had friends with 31's and they were just a little squinchy compared to the 37. Several times I had dinner parties and gatherings with eight adult friends around the sterncastle table. REAL friendly, with our butts all squeezed together; occasionally someone would fall off the end of the seat.

Loved my time on that boat!

With Warm Aloha, Tim
Kaimana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 17:36   #4517

Searunner 49/50/52ft Cat by Brown/Marples, the "uscg certified" category on the searunner web site is lacking, so I thought it was interesting to see some photos..

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/87454
https://jaynesmarine.com/completed-vessels/

As for headroom, the floor level could be the determining factor. Perhaps easily modified for 1 or 2 important areas and keep in mind home-built so each boat might have been "customized".. If I recall correctly the sr37 have around 6'3-6'4 headroom. You get pretty quickly used to the head tilt when/where appropriate and at 6'5 I've had no problem adapting to boats around/under the 6-6'2 range, especially if they have 1 or 2 areas of full headroom, for example under companionway hatch.
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 19:21   #4518
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post
Searunner 49/50/52ft Cat by Brown/Marples, the "uscg certified" category on the searunner web site is lacking, so I thought it was interesting to see some photos..

As for headroom, the floor level could be the determining factor. Perhaps easily modified for 1 or 2 important areas and keep in mind home-built so each boat might have been "customized".. If I recall correctly the sr37 have around 6'3-6'4 headroom. You get pretty quickly used to the head tilt when/where appropriate and at 6'5 I've had no problem adapting to boats around/under the 6-6'2 range, especially if they have 1 or 2 areas of full headroom, for example under companionway hatch.

Agreed. At 6’4” tall I’m use to tilting the head sideways in low headroom areas. Never thought anything of it until I saw myself in the mirror onetime.
Our Searunner catamaran is in the Jaynesmarine link, but under the wrong name and wrong length.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:58   #4519

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaimana View Post
Aloha LongJonSilver

I've known Jim since I walked into his design studio in Davenport, California, sixteen years old in 1968, bought a set of plans for a SeaRunner 25 and built the boat the next year.

Finding her a bit small, wet, and cold, I sold her and built a 37 in 1970 when I was 19. Had that boat for 6 years.

Tim
I remember reading your story in "The Case for the Cruising Trimaran" and also a magazine detailing your larger Seaclipper tri. How you could quickly build a Searunner 37 as a 19 year old has always stunned me. It would take me many years.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:55   #4520

Boat: Seaclipper 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by purvisgs View Post

I remember when John was just releasing SR cat designs and the drawings captured my imagination. Dreams of what I thought were the essence of form follows function. The terms cattlemaran for the charter cat. This brings back many great memories. I had to dial my dreams down so staking out the backyard where I would build my SC28 was more in keeping with my budget in the future, because at the time I didn’t have that kind of budget. Fast forward to 1998 when I happen to be walking through Marina Del Rey California and saw a Seaclipper 28 with a for sale sign. I may not be able to build it but I could afford that price. So after dreaming about it for 20 years I had my first John Brown/John Marples trimaran. I was hooked from the beginning on Searunners since I Watched it being built in the 60s, and lived lived on Searunner 37 sail number one.
The point of this story is I have drifted away from sailing, family, life, fill in the obligation here. These days I have an 18 foot dart catamaran to get my Cealing fix when I need it. But stumbling across this forum a few months ago reminds me that somethings are in your blood and you’re always interested in them. Those links you gave with the photos of the Searunner/ constant camber catamarans was fantastic. I think we all know that searunners catamarans and trimarans have some thing special, not everybody gets it but we do. It might just be me but when I see Searunner catamarans the lines are gorgeous and it just makes me think it’s time to get out there on that big blue ocean.
Thank you for posting, sparking my memories, and posting a link that I will have to look at on my big screen versus my phone because those boats deserve it.
Oh yeah, I guess I will have to say something about this thread. I’m only 5 foot 11 but living on a SR 37, headroom was never an issue you had to make sure you didn’t stub your toe walking through the main strength bulkhead forward and when you do that you always lean your head down and that was the only place that didn’t have 6 foot clearance, other than the head but you definitely had to lean down to step down to there. As I said above ,some people don’t get it but after living on it that was a great interior.
Proafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 14:07   #4521

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

https://www.facebook.com/Power-Trimaran-100208525167800

Follow the link to the new page��

After having 37’ a 34’ searunners and many Hobies, I’m moving into a power tri. I’m just a stoked as ever. With the quiet new 4 stroke outboards, they scoot on very little fuel.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:33   #4522

Boat: Farrier f27

Longjon, I've been interested in a CC35. Would you mind sharing the contact info? Perhaps PM me.
Thanks
Randy
Quote:
i just got off the horn with a guy selling a CC35. Love the boat, except for the headroom. i'm 6'2" and a berth of 6'0" just doesn't cut it. 5'10" under the bimini is not real cool either. The website says that the CC35 has 6'4" headroom, well maybe in the galley if you stand in just the right place. Otherwise, NO! Which means when the boat rocks, you bump your head. Not fun!

Does anyone know the real headroom (and length of the berths) in the SR37, SR40 or CC40?

Thanks
jon
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:52   #4523

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Randy, I don't follow this thread much so I don't know the flow of this conversation but noticed your interest in a CC35. I have some friends who are nearing completion of theirs in Napa Marina. It is beautifully built and finished. For all I know they may be on this thread. Here is their photo blog. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...kxNTdYeHZfWFp3
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:50   #4524

That does look nice.
Interestingly my wife and I were just up in the Bay area and I thought about going over to Napa marina. I've spent a little time there on occasion looking at the boats. There's usually a few old Searunners lying there often in various states of disrepair only this time I would have been able to check out this new boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlindahl View Post
Randy, I don't follow this thread much so I don't know the flow of this conversation but noticed your interest in a CC35. I have some friends who are nearing completion of theirs in Napa Marina. It is beautifully built and finished. For all I know they may be on this thread. Here is their photo blog. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...kxNTdYeHZfWFp3
Old 11-09-2020, 03:01   #4525

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Quote:
thanks for the pic, n great choice for a color of a boat.
That's an awesome photo
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:55   #4526

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Well if you get up there again before Oct they may still be there.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 17:12   #4527

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

This is interesting anybody seen this video
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 19:46   #4528

I just posted on a different thread that the owner of what had been named "Good Enough" has for sale, asking only $40,000.

https://youtu.be/Q-Wemfa9Q20

It looks to still be in fine shape but in need of some paint and is located in central Florida.
I don't really want to broadcast his contact info so pm me if interested.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:39   #4529

Would love to have the contact information of the owner of the Cc35 in central Florida. I could rice over and take a look at her. Randy 772-475-5330
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:54   #4530

Boat: 46’ Trimar Trimaran MK II

Hello Marin, I own a 46’ Trimar Trimaran MKII center cockpit. Ketch rugged. The center cockpit on my boat is terrific, separates the captain’s quarters from the main salon and berths. The center cockpit (actually there are 3) seats 6 and each of the outer cockpits between the amas has room for 2 lounge chairs. Unfortunately, I find myself having to sell her. I have it posted in the classified section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	854B177B-BC09-4565-833F-3FF7F41C3C08.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	224512   Click image for larger version

Name:	B12EAEAE-293C-4793-8170-2A8D26683EA5.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	466.4 KB
ID:	224513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB3F1EF0-7ECA-4878-8339-C99C6B215595.jpg