Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.26 average. Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 12:09   #4636

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Status report: I'm just about finished glassing, sanding and priming the newly built coamings around the center cockpit.

I'll send pictures once the chaos is controlled and things look better. Maybe two weeks [emoji39]
i am looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep at it, you will arrive at the finish line.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 19:05   #4637

Quote:
Status report: I'm just about finished glassing, sanding and priming the newly built coamings around the center cockpit. My yacht club is celebrating its 96th anniversary in one month, so I'm trying to get the outside shiny. Still waiting for the new mast to arrive, then all efforts will be directed at assembling all the mast parts and rigging. Still a lot of subtasks awaiting completion, but the fantasy is to have the boat sailing in August, though still a lot of stuff to go before making any passages. I'll send pictures once the chaos is controlled and things look better. Maybe two weeks [emoji39]
Roy....have you ever used Peel Ply when you glass?
sddmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 20:49   #4638

Boat: Searunner 31

For the first time in a long while I was reminded today what a good thing it is to have a centerboard.

The wind picked up to about 15 knots today, which is unusual for the southern part of the Salish sea. Close-hauled and headed for a sandbar at dead low tide, I just sailed right over the bar in about 4 feet of water. The board kicked right up and on we went. My kids didn't even notice.

Thanks, Jim and John - these are some great boats.
Old 21-04-2021, 18:36   #4639

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Sddmack, yes! I love peelply. I used it last to make foam floorboards. It dramatically reduced epoxy used, weight, subsequent finish. Great stuff.

On a side note, my work on my coamings was distracted temporarily early yesterday morning. At about 2 AM, I was violently wakened by massive wake waves hitting my boat in rapid succession. This was coupled with flashing red and blue emergency strobes and incoherent yelling from the harbor police. Sticking my head out the hatch I heard some recognizable words: fire, wake up, evacuate. I turned around to see enormous clouds of thick black smoke billowing from the boat adjacent to me. I jumped into some pants, found my shoes, and got off my boat, grabbing a Halotron extinguisher, and forgetting to put on a shirt, and boarded the 48 foot sport fisher eight feet away. There were few flames visible, so I fired the extinguisher onto the nearest engine room vent with active flames. Ten seconds later the flames returned, in spades. I got off the boat, smashed the glass on the dock fire hose cabinet, extracted 100 feet of hose and stretched it out, then opened the supply valve, adjusted the spray pattern to fog, and boarded an adjacent boat to get water to whatever route emerged. I heard a tinkle of breaking glass as superheated smoke filled the boat's main salon. Suddenly, the inrush of fresh air created an explosion, followed by a dragon's tongue of bright flame, reaching out to me. I decided this was not a defensible position and climbed off the boat to the dock and found a more protected position to continue spewing a focussed stream on the neighbors sailboat and into the fiery volcano of the sportfishers cabin. Fifteen minutes later, the fire department arrived and began hookups and assessment. Fifteen minutes later they asked me to retreat and they were able to quench the flames, then they breached the hull, filled the engine room with seawater and hose lines, and the boat sank in twenty feet of water, quenching the flames and killing the smoke. There was virtually no damage to the sailboat neighbor due to the water I layed down on the canvas and boat surfaces. I, too, received very little damage.

Today, 36 hours later, I am recovered from the fatigue and adrenaline. Tomorrow, I return to boat work.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 20:13   #4640

View from Point Loma.Click image for larger version

Name:	3956.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	237032
Old 22-04-2021, 03:22   #4641

Quote:
I, too, received very little damage.

Today, 36 hours later, I am recovered from the fatigue and adrenaline. Tomorrow, I return to boat work.
WOW! What an ordeal! Things like this are very tiring on our mental capabilities. Glad to hear that you and Wilderness are alright.
blessings
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 26-04-2021, 10:43   #4642

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Hey All,
I just finished my haulout up in Seattle and spent a fabulous week sailing the sound. The travel lift weighed the boat at 3000 pounds with full tanks and loaded for cruising. A little overloaded but she handles great. We had some nice winds, good food, and great sunshine. Hope everyone has a wonderful spring!
-DH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing the sound.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	237324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6506.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	237325  

Name:	IMG_6487.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	237326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6504.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	237327  

slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 10:53   #4643

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Great!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 10:54   #4644

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Just so you know there is more to Searunners than just working on them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sound 2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	237328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamica.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	237329  

slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 18:10   #4645

Thank you, I need such reinforcement right now. Im in the final stages of cosmetic sanding and painting of the cabintop, cabinsides and cockpit. A forty foot Searunner is a test of resilience and patience. My boat is now 43 years old, and undergoing major overhaul prior to sailing over the horizon. Only mild surprises, and my storage garage is close to bursting with new gear waiting for install. The big projects, after painting, are reinstalling the steering pedestal and rudder cables, firing up the engine after too long waiting, and installing the new mast, rigging and other gear. The target is to be sailing by August, but that doesn't mean the galley and electronics or plumbing will be operational. Those will be my targets this fall and winter. Spring is for final stages, sea trials, haulouts and underwater electronics, and prepping for my first major cruise in a very long time.

So, thank you for reminding me of why I'm doing all this work.
Old 28-05-2021, 04:47   #4646

i have been looking for polars for a Searunner for quite some time now, dunno if i asked here, but i need them for weather routing. i am getting ready to bring a tri back here to Nova Scotia, and i find that OCPN has a plugin for weather routing. Even just a partial spreadsheet would be a good start as i could interpolate/extrapolate to get a starting chart. Later i could enter my own observed values. Here is an example:

Old 04-06-2021, 07:48   #4647

I am looking seriously at a searunner 31 project. Would like to actually look at a finished 31 somewhere near albuquerque. If anyone knows of one i could look at near me please email me. I only want to get an idea of size of one that is together. I wont waste a lot of your time. A quick walk around and through is all i would like. If course a sail would be fantastic but not necessary. Very little water around here.
Owner asking for $9000 with lots of rot work completed, lots of extras, and what looks like good trailer. Comments?caveats?
joewvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 13:12   #4648
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You literally can’t walk thru a SR31. They are very small boats with a big footprint.

Not saying this to discourage you or to knock Jim, but it’s more and more a boat for a different time. Marina rates just have gone up 15% near me and multihull berths were already hard to come by.
Old 04-06-2021, 15:20   #4649

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewvr12 View Post
I am looking seriously at a searunner 31 project.

Owner asking for $9000 with lots of rot work completed, lots of extras, and what looks like good trailer. Comments?caveats?
Don't let yourself be discouraged by style comparisons. Fashions change, but the sea doesn't. however in think that $9000 is too much for a boat needing work located in Albuquerque. Offer $5000
Old 04-06-2021, 15:21   #4650

Thank you for your input. All offered is very good info. And nothing is offensive. Luckily , i have access to a free anchorage in mexico at my wifes hometown. I couldnt afford a dinghy slip in the states. Trailering it down is one of the reasons it seems like a decent possibility. I also have some great Mexican friends who are artists in fiberglass boat work. What i mess up they will laugh and happily fix.
joewvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran