Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.26 average. Display Modes
Old 17-03-2010, 16:32   #541
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Brazilian Searunner 34 ALERT!!!
John Marples tells me he has not sold a set of plan to anyone in Brazil in many years and it's VERY likely the boat under construction is not being built from an authorized set of plans.
Cheers,
Jeff
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 18:04   #542

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
I won't jump in the middle of this. I have had direct email communication with the builder in Brazil (my Spanish--his Portuguese) on several occasions. He describes on his website that "Finally the plans arrived (March 23, 2004). I began to study them the next day." (my translation of his Portuguese).
( resenha_construcao_2004). There are pictures of the plans and his buying materials based on the plans. Then he shows photos of his early construction of the amas.

If John Marples did not sell him those plans, that is an issue John should take up. Paulo is readily accessible from his website.
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 20:25   #543

Boat: Farrier f27
While we don't want counterfit plans or usage of the plans going on .... I had purchased a set of 31' plans and had them for 15 years and never ended up using them. Now I've got a set of Constant Camber 35 plans and have had them for maybe four years.
These boat projects take a lot to get off the ground sometimes. I don't think its out of the ordinary for Paulo's project to be happening the way it is. He may not have been in Brazil when he purchased the plans - there's all kinds of legitimate possibilities.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 21:44   #544

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Or he may have purchased a legit set of plans from someone like Randy who never got around to building.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 22:25   #545

Agreed. 100%.

Neither do I want any counterfeit or otherwise illegitimate plans being utilized, I was only replying to Boatguy 30's comment about Paolo's 34: "...and it's VERY likely the boat under construction is not being built from an authorized set of plans."

Who knows but Paulo and John Marples? They could have been bought from someone else in Brazil or elsewhere. The fact that Paolo Afonso states on his website that they "Finally arrived" (along with a date given) leads me to believe he had ordered and bought them, presumably from Marples, or someone else who already was in possession of a set of plans. Since it is simply a matter between Marples and Afonso, that is where I want it to remain.

I suggest going to Paulo's website and perusing it. I find it chock full of good information with lots of construction details that we all can use. You might need to use a translation site or a bilingual dictionary, but if you have any high school or more training in Spanish, you should be able to make out a lot of what her writes.

Thanks for all your input.

Rann
Old 18-03-2010, 05:15   #546
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
SR 34 Brazil

Sure... there are a lot of different possibilities. All I know is I have John the url a few months ago. When I spoke with him recently, regarding another 34 and the changes made to the 37 plans at the same time the 34 was designed, he told me he did not think this boat was built from an authorized set of plans.

I think it would best for the guy in Brazil to contact Marples and identify where he got his plans and providing they've never been used to sign a builder agreement with Marples and verify the sail number.

I think the goal of this group is to promote the Searunner and preserve and collect what information we can gather.

Cheers,
Jeff
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 07:17   #547

Jeff,

I am in total agreement with your last sentence about promoting Searunners and preserving and collecting the information we can gather. I was thrilled to see that the new website devoted to multihull history and promulgated by Jim Brown, et al, is now on-line.

I will send the URL of this forum to Paulo so he is aware of the discussion that has been going on concerning him. You might do the same with John and perhaps the two can decide what each would want to do with respect to the plans and building agreement. With that, I am laying to rest the matter from my end.

Fairwinds,

Rann
Old 21-03-2010, 14:32   #548
Bee

Boat: Brown Searunner 37' Moon
Just purchased Moon

Hello,

Last week I purchased "Moon" a Searunner 37 (1971) formerly "Exodus", and "Strider".

This is the second Searunner I have owned...the first was "Merlin" a 31 A-Frame that my wife, daughter, and I sailed to the Exumas and back. We were very impressed with the 31, and know that Moon will be an excellent boat for us.

I've got some work to do on "Moon", she needs the decks stiffened, the lower wing deck has some separation from the stringers, paint, and TLC.

I am very excited about the boat, and my wife are about to be empty nesters, and we are planning to start cruising in the fall.

I have been reading this forum for a while and have been impressed with knowledge and experience that people have shared on this forum.

I should be able to dedicate most of my time on getting Moon shipshape.
For my repairs I will be treating several areas with CPES penetrating epoxy from The Rot Doctor then bonding and filleting with West System.

-Brian
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 19:21   #549

Congratulations, Brian, to you and your wife on your acquisition of your Searunner 37 MOON, and welcome to the list. We look forward to following your progress.

Rann
Old 23-03-2010, 19:53   #550

We can now put to rest the issue of the Brazilian Searunner 34 alert. I received an email reply from John Marples and I quote from his email: " Paulo Alfonso de Silva has a legal set of plans which he paid a design fee for in March of 2004 - six years ago."

I also received an email from Paulo showing he paid with his Visa card. It is true that John made the statement he had not sold a set of plans to anyone in Brazil in years. He further stated that if anyone suspects someone of being a pirate builder, to check with him first to avoid any future embarrassments.

Case closed,

Rann
Old 31-03-2010, 08:24   #551

Boat: searunner tri 40' Patches
Anyone out there looking for a Searunner 40'? I am sitting on Patches, a 40' Searunner, in the Marina Seca Guaymas, Mexico, where I have been getting Patches ready to relaunch after several years in the yard. Plan was to sail back to Australia, but things change and I now need to put Patches up for sale. It is a good solid boat, set up for cruising/liveaboard, with lots of spares. It is not far off being ready for the water, and I may relaunch at the end of April after some travels in the US.
Selling price is US$30,000. Contact me at svpatches@gmail.com for more info

Manoz/ tony c
P.s. please spread the word...
manoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:07   #552

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
gskufner

This is a post on another thread, thought I would bring it over here for the Searunner tribe to check out....:-)

gskufner

Centerboard in Searunner 31
I am new to this forum and have learned the it is here where Searunner owners exchange tips. I have a Searunner 31 and had to take out the centerboard for repair last fall, This was done while the boat was up high in a travel lift. Now i want to put it back in and was wondering if i could do so lowering the board from the cockpit while the boat is on stands. how do i line up the hole in the board with the pin?
I have not built the boat, have no plans. Help, tips would be appreciated, Gerald
Thank you all
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37   #553

Boat: Farrier f27
gskufner,
It was always part of the design allowances to be able to drop the board in the trunk from above. Make sure that dimensionally there aren't any issues like the top of the trunk being a little narrow with the glass build up and for that matter hopefully the dimensions of the board haven't changed.
Do some measurements so you've got a good feel for where the board will be (if the boat is close to the ground the board will be horizontal). You'll need extra hands to slide it for and aft. The main halyard will work to drop the board maybe slip another line around the bottom of the board which will need to be in the rear of the trunk. It seems like if there's a guy on the halyard controlling the height and a guy with the pin down at the trunk maybe one more guy providing some push fore and aft it shouldn't be a big deal with alignment.
Where are you located? What's the boat's history? What are your plans?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 21:34   #554

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I put a series of radiating lines outward from the axle hole of the centerboard with chalk. I then lower the board into the trunk using my main halyard. Block off the bottom of the trunk with whatever can support the weight of the board lying in its "floating" position. Jiggle the board back and forth, while someone peers into the "axle gland" at the side of the trunk, using a flashlight to find one of the rays. Move the board in the direction of the visible ray and it will lead you to the hole. Use a Phillips screwdriver or an awl to hold the hole as you position the board to get the axle pin inserted. Then spin on the caps of the centerboard axle glands. Needless to say, this would be an extraordinary challenge to perform in the water. Better to beach the boat or haulout at the yard. I'll be taking lots of pictures next month when I install my new board.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:50   #555

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes
SEARUNNER COMMUNITY

Hi guys

Just a quick note to say how impressed I am with the camaraderie on this Searunner thread. There seems to be a hardcore of subscribers who freely give their time and knowledge to help others with these great boats.
I'm currently looking for a 37 or preferably a 40 and would love to join this group in the not too distant future.

Best wishes to all

Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran