Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 17:55   #601

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
PHOTOS THAT SHOULD'VE GONE THROUGH... Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	055_55_00.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	18279   Click image for larger version

Name:	074_74.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	18280  

Name:	093_93.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	18281   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_100_00.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	18282  

Name:	108_108_00.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	18283   Click image for larger version

Name:	114_114_00.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	18284  

Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 18:13   #602

OTHER USES FOR PHENOLIC SHEET... AND, THE FORWARD CHAINPLATES BEFORE THEIR PHENOLIC "MOATS" WERE GLUED IN. ALSO THE HALF CARBON FIBER PLATFORM FOR OUR BOW ROLLER... (Really strong, but light)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	053_53.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	18312   Click image for larger version

Name:	046_46_00.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	18313  

Old 07-08-2010, 18:59   #603

And, one last overall bow rail shot. It would've been less "flexi" if I had an intermediate rail, but our pad bases make deck damage a "non issue", so we prefer this... It is simpler, lighter, and allows easier access to removal of the bow anchor at sea. It flexes about 1/4" when we step from one rail to the other, and therefore requires an excellent welder! It would bend it, but we could probably lift the boat by this bow rail. (Their are matching back up SS plates underneith the deck overhang, for the bolts to go through) Hope this helps... Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00000016 (2).JPG
Views:	399
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	18314  
Old 08-08-2010, 04:58   #604

JEFF, I just got a chance to look at the Ebay ad about a Searunner 40 for sale. IF this is the one near the slipway at Jarret Bay for the last couple of years, yes I have seen it. What I can say is... ALL previous coments by myself, Jack, and Roy apply!
In the 34, 37, or 40' Searunners... an asking price closer to $100,000 rather than $11,000, is how you get the RARE top 10% that are out there, ready to go. (and well worth it!) I've lived all of my life on a shoestring, but if I was to buy an old Searunner, I wouldn't be interested in a "bargain", because it's not really.
Good hunting... Mark
Old 31-08-2010, 12:17   #605

Calling all Brown Searunner folks,
Have any of you heard of any bareboat or charter service using a Searunner 37 or 40? Or other ways of getting aboard one of these boats for an extended sail? I really want to sail one to confirm that it's the boat for me (I'm about 95% sold on the idea already) but I don't know anyone with one. I know there's Manu-O-Ku in Tonga manuoku.com but that's a long way from the Bay Area for a sail.... Any advice you all can offer would be much appreciated.
Best,
Nick in Menlo Park, CA
nrdesieyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:33   #606

Also, saw a free Searunner 37 project boat today on Craigslist up in Hood Canal, Washington. Looks to be more trouble than it's worth, but perhaps somebody here will be interested. 37' Brown Searunner Trimaran center cockpit cutter rig trailer "FREE"
Old 04-09-2010, 16:11   #607

Boat: Searunner 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdesieyes View Post
Calling all Brown Searunner folks,
Have any of you heard of any bareboat or charter service using a Searunner 37 or 40? Or other ways of getting aboard one of these boats for an extended sail? I really want to sail one to confirm that it's the boat for me (I'm about 95% sold on the idea already) but I don't know anyone with one. I know there's Manu-O-Ku in Tonga manuoku.com but that's a long way from the Bay Area for a sail.... Any advice you all can offer would be much appreciated.
Best,
Nick in Menlo Park, CA
There's a charter outfit in Florida: Our Fleet

I don't really know anything about their operation, but they advertise a Searunner 37

You might also consider a trip down to San Carlos - there are a pair of 37's for sale down there, listed on Yachtworld.
Old 04-09-2010, 16:26   #608

I just ran across this Marples "cabin SIB 30" for $25,000.
johnandpeggy's Home Page - Road Runner Personal Home Pages
For you guys looking for something in the affordable range... this is cheeper by virtue of being small and VERY simple, rather than being big but really old and worn out. It has no standing headroom, but for an occasional 6 month cruise, or a really fun daysailor / weekender, it looks pretty nice. Photos are deceptive, but if all it needs to be a "cherry" is to refurbish the interrior, it is MUCH easier on a CC boat than a Searunner, due to the CC's lack of stringers, cubbys, and hatches galore.

My previous boat, a Seaclipper 28, was much smaller below than this, and was plenty for even a liveaboard for one. For two... It was a weekender only. It was however FAST. I got it up to 19 on two occasions! For the above boat... I'd add a 32" plexiglass hemisphere on the main companionway hatch, like I did on my SC 28. (attached) This makes a "below decks" helm watch (when on auto), for when it's wet out. This looks like a potentially wet boat otherwise!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	014_14_00.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	18982   Click image for larger version

Name:	007_7_00.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	18983  

Old 04-09-2010, 17:30   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7a View Post
There's a charter outfit in Florida: Our Fleet

I don't really know anything about their operation, but they advertise a Searunner 37

You might also consider a trip down to San Carlos - there are a pair of 37's for sale down there, listed on Yachtworld.
Thanks Will. I know about the two 37s in San Carlos and I'd seen photos of Fidgety Feet but didn't know she was part of a charter operation. Looks like she's up on Lake Ontario (?).

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 04-09-2010, 20:15   #610

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
well mark the dome idea is fantastic have you any close up photos?

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:38   #611

I wish I could say that the "dome" was my idea, but they were really common 30 years ago on small multis. I got mine from Curd Enterprises in Charlston SC, USA. (for< $200) It was 1/4" thick plexiglass. (3/16 on top) This was marginal, and I'd go no thinner. The first 24" clear one had protective bars on top, and the second MUCH nicer one was 32", tinted, and I molded a "beenie cap" for the top. The cap is made by covering the dome with "Saran Wrap", then using it as a mold for laying up epoxy and flexible polypropoline fabric. (1/8" thick) Glass on the bias might also work. Let the layup run WAY large, as the edges will be funkey, then scribe down from the center top with a pencil & string compass, and cut the skirt. Then glue it on with clear silicone caulk. NOW you can fall on it with no damage and have shade. For a bit more head room (as I had a fixed seat underneith), I made a 2" wide X 1.5" thick trim ring for under the 1" skirt that came on the bubble, dome, whateveryawannacallit! This was made of 2 layers of 3/4" ply, laminated, cut out, rounded, glassed, mounted & painted. Then silicone down the dome with #10 machine screws with washers, centered perfectly through 1/4" holes, on about 3" centers. (tighten just short of snug. NO more. This is true of all "nuts & bolts" port attachments as well.

With an autopilot's remote in hand, I rode out unbelievable weather sitting under this thing! (20' seas!) I would have a fan pointing at my face from below to keep from fogging, (and hopefully from spewing) the interrior of the dome. A once a week wipe down with "Armorall" made the fine scratches disappear, and rain just fall off. I loved the thing.

It will work on most any hinge up or sliding hatch, (if it has no dog house), and if nothing else gets in the way. In fact, if I live long enough, I plan to add a smaller one on our center "sterncastle" hinge up hatch, so I can pop my head up and do the "Meerkat thing" when I hear a thump at anchor. I Googled "plastic hemisphere" I think, and had a lot of hits for these, as they are now popular for the surveillance camera business. (just look up in a store)

The thing about open crossbeam, aft cockpit, tris, under 30'... Is that they don't pound, so you can push the hell out of them to windward. It is however wet like a fire hose! Fun on a daysail, NOT fun cruising. The dome makes a small tri tolerable in these conditions... Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_37_48.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	19010   Click image for larger version

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_39_14.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	19011  

Name:	ps_2010_08_25___15_39_14 (2).jpg
Views:	320
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	19012   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290437.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	19013  

Old 07-09-2010, 22:01   #612

Boat: Searunner 31
Lifelines on amas

Anyone care to advise on whether a near-coastal trimaran needs lifelines on the amas?

My Searunner 25 doesn't have them and I haven't missed them; my "new" 31 has them, but they will have to be removed for transport and I'm wondering whether to replace them.
Old 07-09-2010, 22:28   #613

Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Will,

It's good seeing you on the forum and congrats on the 31. From pictures on your website, she looks to be a very fine one.

Perhaps some of the other Searunner sailors will chime in on your query about the stanchions and lifelines on the amas. I believe Jack's 34 Corazón does not carry lifelines but Mark's 34 Delphys does. As I recall Roy's 40 Wilderness has them. A quick look at previous pages with photos might help. Our 34 Etak had them when we bought her. They are off now as I slowly proceed on a total refurbishment job. Probably I will replace them again but use Dux instead of SS wire.

Hope this helps a little.

Rann
Etak Searunner 34 #15
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:46   #614

Hi Will,
My current lifelines are worn out, and like Rann, I am considering using Dux for their replacements. (The standard vynil covered wire stuff is prone to sudden failure just inside the end of the vinyl, is fatter than necessary & heavier too.)
My previous boat had WAY too much stuff on it, and certainly my lifeline system, with braces on each one, was over built. I did it like the Searunner construction manuel illustration, which I now consider "overkill" in the lifelines. (Especially on smaller boats) So, on Delphys I have a system that CAN be bent or broken, at half the weight.

On larger Searunnrs I wouldn't omit the lifelines, but would consider it on the smaller ones. It depends... Their is the safety issue, if you stroll around under way like I do. What about fishing, or cleaning fish under way? If you are "cruising" as opposed to daysailing, where do you hang your clothes to dry, without lifelines? Lifelines give infinately adjustable places to hang horizontal fenders from as well.
And I find that when we approach a dock, it gives a secure way that I can reach out to the pillings, with less risk of falling in as a bad moment. It also helps us board from a dinghy, and keeps loose sails on board. Then there is the issue of pushing off from, or holding station next to a dock, while another person deals with dock lines. They really help here! This may be our No. 1 use. If you keep your boat on a mooring like Jack, this is less of an issue.

So... If you mostly daysail, and stay in the cockpit except to handle the sails, have plenty of cabin top handholds and wear a safety harness, perhaps. Also, a small triangular piece of netting at the bow will help keep sails on board. (I added mine when I discovered that I had sailed ALL day with my stay sl, flaked up & tied, trailing between the hulls)!

If you don't fish or wash clothes on board, always use the same "floating" dockslip, and have plenty of fender hanging options for your needs, then these issues become moot as well. For most of us... the lifelines are just too usefull to omit. You just have to look at how you use the boat and weigh the trade offs.

Hope this helps, Mark
Old 14-09-2010, 14:50   #615
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
MAXOLAR For Sale Again

It appears Maxolar is know for sale again. Don't know the circumstances, but he looks to be trying to double his money. As a boat owner, it's always painful to see this type of thing happening. He supposedly was taking her to Tahiti!
83 jim brown design searunner 40 sailboat for sale in Florida

Jeff
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran