Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.26 average. Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 17:22   #796

Boat: Searunner 34
Thumbs up Re: Trimaran (Especially Searunner) Owners

Anyone interested in learning from Jim and John for 2 weeks in August?
I just signed up for their "Building the Seaclipper 20 Trimaran" course; I was hoping some of us newbie Searunner owners could get together in Maine and learn firsthand from the designers, how to keep up with our boats by learning some basics. Kim at the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin sure would love to hear from you...the link below should get you some info.

BUILDING THE SEACLIPPER 20 Trimaran

Regards,

Vincent
Serenity34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 23:34   #797

Boat: Searunner 31
Looks like Bacchanal is for sale on Yachtworld. Another significant Searunner available.
Old 19-05-2011, 12:48   #798

Boat: 1971 Searunner 37
Re: Trimaran (Especially Searunner) Owners

If anyone out there is seriously interested, there is a modified Searunner 37 tri for sale in Coral Bay, St John, USVI for $40K. I have been aboard the boat and have several photos- it presents very well and was built by a professional electrician so the systems are first class. This boat is similar to the modified tri for sale in Florida for $180K but at less than 1/4 the price and it has an inboard diesel engine. If I had not bought a 37 Searunner in February, I would be angling for this one.
Contact me privately if you want more details.

Bob Petersen - St Thomas
aquavitae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 18:17   #799

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I belong to the Yahoo "free sailboats" group, and this was posted today. Serious project boat, but I thought there might be a few aficionados here who would be interested.

Free 36' Sailboat

Free 36' Trimaran.

Partially submerged trimaran needs a new home. Located at 350 Hamden Drive on Clearwater Beach. . Must go to a real handyman that has the skills req'd to tow, repair and make whole. Over 80% of the upperdeck has been redone, but the bottom needs repair.
The boat: The boat has been sailed 2/3 of the way around the world. Built in So Africa, and sailed thru Japan, Alaska, the Panama Canal and chartered in the keys for several years. The engine is a fairly new 27 HP Yanmar diesel, (cost $6,000 ) that has been submerged and may or may not be salvageable, (no guarantee). Completely fixed up I believe the boat would be worth $35-50K; replacement cost per a surveyor would be over $150K.
Also have $5000 worth of sails that do not go with the boat, but I will sell for $1,500 to purchaser (?).
Who qualifies: You must be capable of moving the boat, repairing the boat, and it would be nice if you had plenty of free time, and a free place to work on it. Or if you must have a yard lift it, you will need some financial ability, as the boat does need some extensive bottom repair, etc. This is not a job for a casual weekend handy person. You must have the time and the skills to do the work.
Who am I? : I am a retired engineer that no longer has the health, the wealth, or the time to do the repairs myself. I've owned the boat for 20 years, and it has been a great hobby, but I have to admit I no longer can manage..
Call Dave at 727 726-3283 for more info. or directions.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 11:47   #800

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

It has been said before here, but this thread has taken on an awesome personality! Thanks everyone for the contributions and posts. It has been kind of like gathering up a lost tribe

I belong to a group (loose term) who also gathered up around the Hobie Power Skiff, and it is running about the same number of pages. Both boats are from the same era, and neither have an official web page.

Hobie Power Skiff - Page 39 - StripersOnline Community

Kind of a cult following if you would. Just killer boats (both the Searunner and HPS), strung out all over the world, and continue to bring the owner much pleasure
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 21:55   #801

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann

Jack, do you have one of those skiffs?
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 12:11   #802

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Re: Free trimaran

Free 36' Trimaran.

Partially submerged trimaran needs a new home. Located at 350 Hamden Drive on Clearwater Beach. . Must go to a real handyman that has the skills req'd to tow, repair and make whole.

I'm sorry, the only thing to do with this boat is honour it's past, praise it's achievements and give it a decent end. And that means salvaging any genuinely, reliably useful parts and conscientiously removing all of the rest of it to a proper waste facility, ensuring there is no pollution or contamination of the waterway or general environment and no further cause given to civil authorities to tighten regulations on boat users, or indeed to get boat user's a bad name in the local community.

When you see a very decent looking Searunner 31 going for $6200 on ebay - last week or so - it should be clear that attempting to 'restore' a boat like this 'free' trimaran is not a cost effective endeavour. It looks as if it may be a Piver or Piver-based design. There are many better designs out there in the genuine bargain category. How about a Cross 28 for $4950 (not partially submerged, either) recently on Craig'slist.

Even if this boat could be salvaged, repaired and used again, it is very unlikely to achieve a high valuation and certainly not amongst experienced boat users. It is also likely to be forevermore untrustworthy at sea. And that's the real kicker. The sea can, at times, be unwilling to give a second chance.
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 06:46   #803

Re: Trimaran ( Especially Searunner ) Owners

Searunner 41 coming back on the market!

The 1983 Searunner 40 Jade Eve/exMoxolar will be coming on the market very shortly. Jade Eve is currently sitting on her mooring in Southeast, FL.

The boat will be listed shortly. If there are any qualified Jim Brown Searunner buyers prepared close on this global cruising yacht before the boat is listed. Please contact mhallowel@aol.com today. Serious inquiries only please.
Boo-Yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 13:28   #804

Jade Eve Photo from last week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo-Yay View Post
Searunner 41 coming back on the market!

The 1983 Searunner 40 Jade Eve/exMoxolar will be coming on the market very shortly. Jade Eve is currently sitting on her mooring in Southeast, FL.

The boat will be listed shortly. If there are any qualified Jim Brown Searunner buyers prepared close on this global cruising yacht before the boat is listed. Please contact mhallowel@aol.com today. Serious inquiries only please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jade Eve.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	27749  
Boo-Yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 01:55   #805

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.

SEARUNNER 37

On the subject of 'free boats' - here's one that may be worthy -

FREE 37' Jim Brown trimaran, project, last chance (Hood Canal Bridge)
Date: 2011-05-22, 5:39PM PDT
Reply to: sale-rqtu8-2396754657@craigslist.org

Great boat available to a resourceful person, now FREE.

Please indicate that you are serious, available to work on this boat for the next few months, and have some financial resources available... in your reply or it will be ignored. Serious investment of time will be required to get her back in the water.. I will be able to meet you there and show boat evenings this week ONLY.

** I need to find a new owner for this boat in the next few weeks or it is time to move on to plan b, cut it up and sell off parts to recoup dump fees. Unfortunatley. If you replied to this posting before, feel free to reply again, if you are reconsidering. I realize this is a unique situation and really need to find the right person.

Included for FREE:
- Boat: Jim Brown Searunner trimaran, center cockpit, cutter rig, 2 cabins, centerboard boat
- Custom built triple axle trailer, use to move to boat ramp ~1/2 mile away, or take your chances with a ballsy truck driver at 3 am on a Sunday... Boat is 22' wide..needs tires inflated. It might be possible to move (on land, on trailer) down the highway, etc, I have heard of other trimarans and catamarans being moved long distances over the highway, just have to find the right truck driver.
Think about what all is involved in logistics for a minute before you even consider reading on... It is not necessarily going to be cheap to move this boat.
- A whole bunch of hardware that has been removed from the boat inside and out, included. Boat completely stripped.
-Rig: 45ft aluminum mast, cutter rig, about 5 sails incl. main, genoa, stay'sl, storm jib, spinnaker and storm main. Winches on mast, etc
- Many misc parts, supplies, wood, plywood pieces, LOTS OF STUFF AND GEAR
- everything from original set of plans for the boat (well worn) to cushions, odds and ends, lots of misc paint, bottom paint, etc

Basically I am 2+ years into this project and can no longer make time for it, or get along with property owner. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ARRANGE UPTO THREE MONTHS TO WORK ON BOAT WHERE IT IS, included, FREE! THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL HAVE TO WORK ON FULL TIME, possibly with assistance, to get the hulls structurally sound, glassed, and back in the water in this time period.

Description of Jim Brown Searunner trimaran: Cruising trimaran with center cockpit, fore and aft cabins, cutter rig, homebuilt to set of plans in late 70's, plywood and fiberglass, centerboard boat with centerboard trunk in the middle of cockpit, short minikeel, if you are not familiar do some research this is still a very well thought out and fast boat design for cruising even compared to modern multihulls... Completed it is worth 30-50K

Condition of boat: All three hulls stripped to (mostly) bare plywood to deck level, needs structural repairs, major repairs to plywood skin both ama bows and most of one entire ama below waterline, "smaller" repairs to stringers and frames, main hull, underwing and decks, fairing (currently surfaces are rough, like the surface of the moon), then glass/epoxy to deck level (potentially included).. Pictures below are when the boat was sailed to present location and first pulled out of the water, a lot of material has been removed since that point, but not a lot of "forward" progress.

NOT included free with boat: inboard diesel, rolls of light fiberglass cloth, epoxy, but negotiable, will sell for 1/3 to 1/2 what I paid for these items.

Thanks for looking. I can email a few pictures, but you really have to see it. I will not take any prospective "NEW OWNERS" seriously until they express interest to see it. Boat under cover now, but cover has been damaged somewhat in the weather.

Now this one I would like to see, examine at length and maybe even fall for. But I'm in the UK. Huh. Good luck to anyone having a go. And if you do, let us know how it goes, youll get loads of help and encouragement here.
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 10:30   #806

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ARRANGE UPTO THREE MONTHS TO WORK ON BOAT WHERE IT IS, included, FREE! THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL HAVE TO WORK ON FULL TIME, possibly with assistance, to get the hulls structurally sound, glassed, and back in the water in this time period.
*wow* that would be a big project. really doubt there would be much savings over building one from scratch, and no matter how much polish you added the bones would still be 30-40 years old. can't say I envy anyone taking this on.
Old 27-05-2011, 11:54   #807

Bob, Beware of modified Searunners. A number of Searunner 39s have been built by Erwin Krebs of Keaton Beach, Florida, claiming to be Searunners. They are not. He has never paid any royalties to Jim Brown for the use of the plans, or had any of the modifications approved. We are trying to make the multihull community aware of his activities. If any questions arise about the authenticity of these boats, I will be glad to answer. John Marples
jmarples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 21:53   #808

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rann View Post
Jack, do you have one of those skiffs?

Yes Rann, We have had it about 5 years. I looked for 2 years before I found a good one.

As you can see, it is used as a runabout, exploring caves and cliffs, tug boat assist (we brought in the 44' super cat to be hauled) The kids wake board it, it is all around tons of fun!Click image for larger version

Name:	-7.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	27900

Name:	-8.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	27901

Name:	-10.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	27902

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	27903

Name:	IMG_0245.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	27904

Name:	P1020350.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	27905
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 22:22   #809

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann

"PURA VIDA" Great name, Jack, for a fun skiff. Loosely translated for you non-Spanish speakers, it comes out something like, "The Good Life!". I recall seeing a few pictures of the skiff in some of your photos but I did not realize it is one of your other boats.

"Gózate de la Pura Vida." (Enjoy the Good Life.)

Rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 23:59   #810

Quote:
Yes Rann, We have had it about 5 years. I looked for 2 years before I found a good one.

As you can see, it is used as a runabout, exploring caves and cliffs, tug boat assist (we brought in the 44' super cat to be hauled) The kids wake board it, it is all around tons of fun!
Is this your dinghy to the searunner? If so, how do you transport it on your tri?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran