Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2023, 13:51   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Trimaran handling

i find my Cross 24 tri (with the cabin and LAR keel removed, and a big cockpit and daggerboard installed) tends in a puff (while beating) to first heel over, then blow the bow off, then accelerate allowing me to resume my course. Is this normal trimaran handling? Any suggestions for me?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 22:42   #2

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: Trimaran handling

I reckon your new dagger board is too small and too far aft. What I think is happening is that the extra sideforce from a gust acts forward of the CLR and blows the bow away. As the boat speeds up a little lee helm along with increased speed brings her up again. I would suggest making a larger dagger board that can be pivoted forward a little. Many multi boards are too small imho. Going large on foils may slow down a race boat but always improves handling
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 00:07   #3

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I think Phil is on the right track but I'd play with the mast rake first which will be easier than the board. Raking aft should add some weather helm to counter the lee helm you have now.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 07:01   #4

Thanks for all your replies and ideas. i actually think shez well balanced. A slight bit of weather helm on reaches and upwind. The board apparently is built to Cross' plans (i have the plans). i trim to the apparent wind and sail up in the puffs and off in the luffs. When i have "too" much power in the sails i gain to windward, and when i have too little i gain speed by falling off slightly.

Ideas?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 12-10-2023, 07:29   #5

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Well then you should play with the sheeting angles on the jib. You want to try to flatten it more, take out some camber. If you have tracks try moving the block aft. One thing to remember is that while your board may be according to plan I don't believe your rig is? You want your C of E of the sail plan in the same place as the stock rig.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 08:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Well then you should play with the sheeting angles on the jib. You want to try to flatten it more, take out some camber. If you have tracks try moving the block aft. One thing to remember is that while your board may be according to plan I don't believe your rig is? You want your C of E of the sail plan in the same place as the stock rig.
Jib is on club. i can however tighten the outhaul on the club. The main is a square top and the foot of the sail is about 1 ft shorter than the boom, so i assume that the CE is farther forward than stock. Next year i will try to rake the mast aft. If i remember correctly the PO said that she sails better with the mast raked aft.

i plan on adding a short cable to the tack of the jib to raise it. That will help the club clear the tabernacle and me to see forward better.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:14   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Keep in mind that with multis it is usually better to stay off the wind a bit more and keep the speed up, particularly when there is a chop. With our cruising cat we found it was better to not sheet everything in hard like we would on a mono, but to ease off just a bit, sail a lower angle, yet get there faster due to the much higher speed a few degrees off the wind can mean.
Old 14-10-2023, 17:35   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

How old/used are your sails?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 04:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
How old/used are your sails?
About two years, fully battened, square top main, carbon fiber
Old 16-10-2023, 11:48   #10

Boat: Corsair 24, Creekmore 40

I've got a Corsair F-24 trimaran with a daggerboard. Upwind, there's a little helm just as you might expect in a monohull. When pressed, the helm doesn't increase. At some point well after I should have de-powered and the leeward float is mostly submerged, the rudder will loose grip and the boat will round up into the wind.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with lee helm sailing upwind in high winds.

Downwind, the helm is very neutral, especially when planing.

Tags
trimaran