Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 16:10   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Trimarans - All Piver Trimarans.

I should point out, Piver had a 6 hp on the Lodestar they sailed from San Fran to Auckland. they also did the trip without a dinghy. They always left on passage with a full 3 gallon tank!

The nice thing about the Nimble is you could maybe use the same motor on the dinghy as the mother ship if you out a little extra in the dinghy transom height. I'm thinking a 20" shaft Tohatsu 6hp. The better motor would be the 25" 6 hp.

Of course, if you are not looking to go the minimalist route the BEST motor would be the Yamaha 9.9 25" high thrust. The newer model is a bit lighter, but still around 100 lbs. I would tend to try the smaller motor first and see how you like it. once you committ to the larger motor, you need to reinforce the transom, you'll want to carry more fuel, etc, etc.
also the Tohatsu 9.8 is available with 25" shaft and is around $600 less than the Yamaha. Parts are also cheaper.
Old 28-04-2013, 16:28   #47

Boat: Wharram Tiki 26
No dinghy, but he carried his surfboard to get ashore and back.
russpury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:56   #48

I have to agree about the Tohatsu they are a.great motor i had the 6hp on my other piver encore and i used it on my dingy also. But if its flat calm it pushed the encore but a slight chop it cavitatied.you need that extra long. There is a lot of windage on these boats. But on the river it shouldn't be so bad. Just don't do the Jupiter inlet.
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:49   #49

Just as a side note, I got to meet Art Piver when I was in high school. I went to his house in Mill Valley, or maybe San Anselmo (too long ago to remember) and bought a set of plans for the 16 foot day sailor Tri that he had designed. I never did finish the boat, but I always had a soft spot for Piver Tris. About 5 years later my first Wife worked with Arts daughter in San Francisco, and told me that the daughter was still holding out hope that Art was just off wandering, since he had disappeared for many months on a previous trip, and showed up fine. We all know that he never did reappear , but his boats still live on. I wonder how his designs would have evolved if he had lived. I have not seen any mention of his AA designs? They were the beginning of his improving his designs.____ As I said, just a tidbit of history____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 12:57   #50

Florence Piver sent me the last catalog which had the Dart models which featured round bottoms, like the Stiletto. I think they would have evolved along with the rest of the multihulls. But he did always push them as cruising designs, rather than racing. The classics were faster than most monohulls of the time, but only marginally so.
Old 30-04-2013, 20:20   #51

Boat: Piver Nimble, 30'

thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll keep them in mind when I look for an engine.

anyone try the lehr(sp?) propane engines?

As with all boats, one of the small repairs became a large one, but still hope to have her floating in a few weeks. Work has gone slow, so I have plenty of time during the day which is speeding things along nicely.

Decided to hoist up and block her so I can sand, and refinish the main hull completely. I figure, this space is free, and there's no time limit (yet) so might as well do as much as I can to the exterior as possible.

So, tell me if I'm crazy or not... The current plan is to get block and tackle - obviously rated for more than the boat, sling the main hull at the cockpit bulkhead, as close to the cross arms as possible, and use sized sheets of ply to spread the load of the straps so I don't crush the main hull. I've already tried jacking her up, under the wing near the cross beams, but this is dodgy at best as she wants to roll around a bit.

Any thoughts?

One good thing.... Scored a mast, boom, sheets, and very good sails locally for ridiculously cheap, so that's one less thing to worry about!
twinzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 20:31   #52

I had my lodestar hoisted on a standard travel lift. The straps went under all three hulls. No damage to the boat, but I nearly had to change my shorts. If I were to do it without a crane of some sort, I would use a floor jack under the keel with a 2 x 6 between the jack and the keel to prevent the points on the jack from damaging the keel. Jack one end a bit, level the amas and block. Go to the other end and do the same. Rinse and repeat until it is at the height you desire. Go slowly, the boat isn't that heavy.
Old 30-04-2013, 20:55   #53

thanks!

That's pretty much what we did the 1st time, and it just didn't feel right. But, that's why I asked.

Didn't want to have anything under the hulls though, so I can completely get at them if needed. Was thinking less like this, and more like the latter...

Old 13-05-2013, 08:30   #54

One thing i have on my encore is blocks for the sheets it gives me more purchase. The way it howls here on San Francisco bay you need it and i normally go out double reefed. Rare do i shake it out. When i lived on the Indian river most wouldn't sail in 20 kt winds, but here its the norm.
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 15:52   #55

Boat: Piver lodestar/victress

Hi just bought a 39.5 foot piver and joined this site, nobody is sure whether she is a extended lodestar or a victress. pro built in NZ in 1982, GOP. here are a few pics, can anybody let me know what they think she might be...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	273609665.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	64437   Click image for larger version

Name:	273609991.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	64438  

Click image for larger version

Name:	273609552.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	64439  
kiwipiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 16:14   #56

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinzerfan View Post
thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll keep them in mind when I look for an engine.

anyone try the lehr(sp?) propane engines?

As with all boats, one of the small repairs became a large one, but still hope to have her floating in a few weeks. Work has gone slow, so I have plenty of time during the day which is speeding things along nicely.

Decided to hoist up and block her so I can sand, and refinish the main hull completely. I figure, this space is free, and there's no time limit (yet) so might as well do as much as I can to the exterior as possible.

So, tell me if I'm crazy or not... The current plan is to get block and tackle - obviously rated for more than the boat, sling the main hull at the cockpit bulkhead, as close to the cross arms as possible, and use sized sheets of ply to spread the load of the straps so I don't crush the main hull. I've already tried jacking her up, under the wing near the cross beams, but this is dodgy at best as she wants to roll around a bit.

Any thoughts?

One good thing.... Scored a mast, boom, sheets, and very good sails locally for ridiculously cheap, so that's one less thing to worry about!
i used blocks and car jacks on my tri on the mudflats in cox's creek (auckland nz) to lift her for an antifoul - using block and tackle sounds like doing it the hard way to me
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 16:21   #57

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

kiwipiver (nice name) and a good look boat. I reckon who ever designed and built this boat really knew his stuff... It is better than a piver and i am sure will give you many hours of enjoyment. Looks as if she will sail really well too.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 19:29   #58

kiwipiver,

that's a great looking boat! - and not because we have the same color scheme

she looks in top shape, and hope she brings you many adventures.

mine is hitting the water this week, but still need to step/rig the mast and build the rudder... fun stuff!
Old 23-07-2013, 22:21   #59

Boat: Piver lodestar/victress

Yeah looking fwd to sailing her, got a bit of cosmetic paintwork to do..bring on summer in NZ!

selling my smaller piver mariner 25 foot with 8hp Johnson motor if there is anybody in NZ who is keen for a great little trimaran.
kiwipiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 17:22   #60

First of all, I'd like to thank the Cruiser's forum for all the information available. Such a good resource. I don't post all that much, but the search function has been very helpful, as has the community in sharing information.

Here's my girl, all ready to hit the water - for the 1st time in 30 years...

and a fitting Bahamian name..

Tags
piver