Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2015, 14:43   #106

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Trimarans - All Piver Trimarans.

As the former owner of an AA31, I can assure that the beam is indeed 18'. I put a Cross keel and rudder with nice NACA foil shapes on mine. With those changes, it sailed really well.

Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 21:27   #107

As the former owner of an AA31, I can assure that the beam is indeed 18'. I put a Cross keel and rudder with nice NACA foil shapes on mine. With those changes, it sailed really well.

Joe
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 04:11   #108

Boat: South African built Ocean/Performance 31

Looking to purchase a Piver Encore, if you hear of one, maybe send me a message,,,,,please..

Thanks

ocean31
ocean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 10:04   #109

Boat: J-24; J-105

Hello all,

I have been looking at this Lodestar for awhile. Ive tried contacting the seller a couple of times to no avail. I cant see I'm probably handy enough to give her what she needs to get back out on the water but the price sure is right though! What do you all think?

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/5945536416.html

Richard
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 05:22   #110

The ad has expired.
Old 20-02-2017, 05:50   #111

What of the Nicols - Re: Trimarans - All Piver Trimarans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searunner31 View Post
i want to start this thread for Piver Trimarans, their owners.

I own a Piver Encore that was professionally billy and splashed in 1975 in Santa Cruz California.

This is my second Encore and I've owned 3 other Pivers over the years. I also own a Searunner 31.

We should be trying to save as may of Piver Trimarans as possible. These are part off the modern day multihull history. The Maritime Museum in Virgins now had the full collection of Pivers designed and they are digitizing his plans and selling them to home builders.

So i hope this thread will be of help to others.

I will be uploading picture of my Piver Encore over the weekend.
Hi mate,

May have seen you on the boat design board. Mine's a Nicol, but we should be protecting those too, no? Hope to read what I have on the thread above and learn what I can from it.

All the best,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:06   #112

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Pssst, G2L. Nicols don't have anything really in common with Pivers. Different construction- cold molded versus hard chine sheet ply, different framing, different stock beams etc....Now a Cross or Horstman Tristar or Jay Kantola will share some elements and there are some postings on ths site.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:51   #113

Well, I dunno about that. Most Pivers were hard chined plywood boats. Few Crosses and Horstmans were. Both of the latter along with Nicols and other Down Under designs, came along toward the end of Piver's designs as 2nd generation multis . The Aussie boats tended to be a bit sportier. All, along with Browns, were a big part of the '60s multihull scene, so a classic tri thread title would fit. No big deal though; there's always the Searunner thread.

Cheers,
Old 20-02-2017, 13:35   #114

There were some round hull Pivers like the Dart which had a interesting construction technique with sheet ply topsides and a curved bottom. Then there was the AA series for advanced amateur construction.

There were some chine sheet ply Cross' like the C-26, some of the larger designs had that as a option. Interestingly some of his last designs had V chine hulls for the economy market, The Racer 12M and cruiser 10.6.
Old 23-02-2017, 01:45   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Pssst, G2L. Nicols don't have anything really in common with Pivers. Different construction- cold molded versus hard chine sheet ply, different framing, different stock beams etc....Now a Cross or Horstman Tristar or Jay Kantola will share some elements and there are some postings on ths site.
Hah : ) You found me out; paling around w. Piver folks : )

But, hey, I just learned something new from the above, so it's all good : )

Will get back to you on the design thread after my job is done and I have done enough research to talk more intelligently on the various topics that were covered.

All the best,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 12:41   #116

Boat: Gulf 32" PH Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by searunner31 View Post
Trimarans - All Piver Trimarans.
Ok, can anyone identify what boat/plan specifically this is?

"1966 31' Piver sloop rigged trimaran sailboat, Fiberglass over wood construction."

scottfree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 19:47   #117

31 puts it around the Piver Nimble at 30' and the Herald at about 32' Looks more like a Nimble with higher cabins added.
Old 29-09-2017, 21:50   #118

Quote:
31 puts it around the Piver Nimble at 30' and the Herald at about 32' Looks more like a Nimble with higher cabins added.
It caught my side eye, of course a SD sail of any kind is my jam. Any thoughts here other than cheap ($4500) and on a can in SD don't know much on this one, other than my 6 year hook and crook run in SD was cut short and I'm still PISSED at First Interstate for f'ing me out my boat.

Sent them $22k from 21 to 26, should just role over the loan and collect another $44k? Or should we be "prudent" call the loan, then spend $10k in exp. selling a boat boat that you just appraised for $35k for $12k?

Yeah then we'll send a 26 year old kid a bill for $40k sorry boatery is NOT included or the $45k we agreed ONE boat INCLUDE!.

Very "prudent",at leat they're long gone and never got a cent from me sorry <rant>end</rant>

Old 29-09-2017, 22:00   #119

Quote:
It caught my side eye, of course a SD sail of any kind is my jam. Any thoughts here other than cheap ($4500) and on a can in SD don't know much on this one, other than my 6 year hook and crook run in SD was cut short and I'm still PISSED at First Interstate for f'ing me out my boat.

Sent them $22k from 21 to 26, should just role over the loan and collect another $44k? Or should we be "prudent" call the loan, then spend $10k in exp. selling a boat boat that you just appraised for $35k for $12k?

Yeah then we'll send a 26 year old kid a bill for $40k sorry boatery is NOT included or the $45k we agreed ONE boat INCLUDE!.

Very "prudent",at leat they're long gone and never got a cent from me sorry <rant>end</rant>

Old 29-09-2017, 22:07   #120

You lost me. A sound Piver might take you anywhere but it probably won't make you money if that counts.

Tags
piver