Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 18:13   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
My random thoughts.
Tom. Good to read you again. Ive missed your well written posts in the last few months.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:46   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
@ windspeed would be nice.
In light stuff. In 35 knots, maybe not so much...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:05   #198

Went sailing yesterday. We live aboard, so it's no stripped out racing boat. Started out with 5 knots TWS, we were doing 6 knots on a close reach. Everybody keeps talking about top speeds and top daily runs, but to us, that's not the point. We hate motoring! We love being able to top wind speed in light air. In heavy air, we are generally slowing down to be comfortable. Going to windward, once it gets to 20-25, we're reefing way down to keep our speed down to 8 or 9 knots to sail flat and comfy. So you guys can keep talking about these big daily runs, but that's not what it is about. How about doing those 200 mile days with 8-10 knots of wind? How about passing monohulls that are motoring because there's not enough wind, while you're sailing?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 23:02   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Went sailing yesterday. We live aboard, so it's no stripped out racing boat. Started out with 5 knots TWS, we were doing 6 knots on a close reach. Everybody keeps talking about top speeds and top daily runs, but to us, that's not the point. We hate motoring! We love being able to top wind speed in light air. In heavy air, we are generally slowing down to be comfortable. Going to windward, once it gets to 20-25, we're reefing way down to keep our speed down to 8 or 9 knots to sail flat and comfy. So you guys can keep talking about these big daily runs, but that's not what it is about. How about doing those 200 mile days with 8-10 knots of wind? How about passing monohulls that are motoring because there's not enough wind, while you're sailing?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Old 05-01-2015, 23:42   #200

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
My random thoughts.

Love twin outboards on my Seawind. Even an unskilled pilot like me can spin the boat in its own length and much cheaper to replace or repair than an inboard.

I have personally seen and been involved in starting the outboard on a Corsair 45 minutes after it was on a trailer in a parking lot and backing away from the dock.

Not saying my inflatible and 9.9 Yamaha is ideal but all the cruisers I know consider a reliable, roomy, seaworthy and somewhat fast tender easily raised and lowered from the Davis a must. Same goes for a well designed arch for solar panels to charge up a good house battery bank.

As a single hander I view my Seawind as a hard choice to beat. But I have been on an F39 that had more speed and enough space for me to live in.

The owner of the Fboat did say while he oftentimes exceeded twenty knots he only did it with a crew of four or five.

I carry 110 gallons of water, 50 gallons of gas, probably a months worth of caned goods and dry goods, clothes, toilet items, tools, a couple of extra anchors and chain, and lots of toilet paper for starters. Have to say there never seems to be enough room for all the stuff like diving gear, cameras, and computers I want to drag along when cruiding.

YMMV

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Would have thought a Seawind 1000 would carry all the gear necessary for a single hander.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 13:31   #201
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Would have thought a Seawind 1000 would carry all the gear necessary for a single hander.

Easily carried all the gear we needed for two people. But then again what we are comfortable cruising with may not suit someone else's definition of what they consider to be the needed supplies.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 14:39   #202

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

AJ my comments were more directed to some earlier posts about cruising on boats with limited ability to easily store an inflatible on davits and have a place to mount solar panels and easy access to the house battery bank as well as carry plenty of water and gas. Not to mention lots of food and toys.

All in all I like Seawind but would like a Gunboat better if I had more boat bucks. Also not convinced a tri is as easy to sail at top speed as a cat is at top speed. But the Fboat are fun when you outrun other boats.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 14:44   #203

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Easily carried all the gear we needed for two people. But then again what we are comfortable cruising with may not suit someone else's definition of what they consider to be the needed supplies.
Exactly my view from a Whitsunday's charter. Great little boat, very seaworthy.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 17:09   #204
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What is the length of a Seawind 1000? 10 meters? Did you tell us Tom the cruise speed you get with it loaded down like that?
Man, trying to keep all this info together- I am going to have to start taking notes...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 18:23   #205

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

Is the Seawind really so fast that you have to carry extra toilet paper?
Old 06-01-2015, 19:32   #206

Boat: Comet 41s

Maybe you guys want to have a look at a cat that is making a lot of waves in Europe. They call it the Pogo Cat, meaning that it is made with the same esprit: Fast, simple and as inexpensive as possible. I am talking about the TS 42. TS stands for Very simple in French.

Regarding monohulls inexpensive is a way of saying because they are all expensive when comparing with monohulls but this one is a lot of boat for the money: it will cost just a bit more than the Dragonfly 35.

Lorient. Un catamaran de croisière rapide accessible à tous - Vidéo Dailymotion

By the way, the title of that video is: "A performance cruising cat fast and affordable by all"

I made a post about it on my blog with more information.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 20:51   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
What is the length of a Seawind 1000? 10 meters? Did you tell us Tom the cruise speed you get with it loaded down like that?
Man, trying to keep all this info together- I am going to have to start taking notes...
Originally the Seawind 1000 was 10 metres, but the xl is extended, by 0.8m IIRC.
Old 06-01-2015, 21:07   #208

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Maybe you guys want to have a look at a cat that is making a lot of waves in Europe. They call it the Pogo Cat, meaning that it is made with the same esprit: Fast, simple and as inexpensive as possible. I am talking about the TS 42. TS stands for Very simple in French.

Regarding monohulls inexpensive is a way of saying because they are all expensive when comparing with monohulls but this one is a lot of boat for the money: it will cost just a bit more than the Dragonfly 35.

Lorient. Un catamaran de croisière rapide accessible à tous - Vidéo Dailymotion

By the way, the title of that video is: "A performance cruising cat fast and affordable by all"

I made a post about it on my blog with more information.
That looks like an awesome cat. As a cruiser? Maybe, but it looks like those fixed daggerboards and rudders might not hold up the boat if it went aground under even the gentlest of circumstances. Lots of appendages to snare lobster and crab traps too .

I do like it though, a lot.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 21:09   #209

I just hope it doesn't float anywhere near where the antifoul ends though. Talk about immersed transoms....
Old 06-01-2015, 21:12   #210

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I just hope it doesn't float anywhere near where the antifoul ends though. Talk about immersed transoms....
Hmm how did I miss that?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote