Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2023, 06:53   #31

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Two different engine sizes?

Why are so many engines dying on relatively new catamarans?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 06:59   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Thinking this through a bit....

On my fishing boat, the engines are very close together, and the hull is relatively narrow, in essence the twin engines are really performing as one so to speak.

Yahama has a very interesting video available online, where two identical boats are matched agains each other....one equipped with twin 150's and and the other with a single 300. Performance and fuel consumption is tabulated on graphical form at the end of the video

On a cat, however, the engines are located some 20-25' apart, so I can see where an engine mismatch or rpm mismatch is a different animal. Cats can motor with just a single engine and maybe a touch of rudder correction.
The other engine, smaller or even less rpm, is there to just keep the cat aligned straightforward....

I've never experimented with engine response with a cat, so I could be talking thru' my hat, but wanted to throw this out there to see if makes any sense.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 07:29   #33

Boat: Leopard 40

No, no, and no. After years of maneuvering two engines where, although were the same size, one was underpowered. I would never advise someone to buy a boat with two different engine sizes. Once the boat was repowered I was shocked at how easy it was to dock. Night and day.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 07:39   #34

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
At 2000 RPM, the prop power curve and fuel consumption:
4JH3 about 6 kW (8 HP) - and 2.2 lph
4JH5 about 12 kW (16 HP) - and 3.3 lph
Engine manufacturer prop power curves are based on a theoretical prop, which just matches the rated HP for each engine at maximum RPM. So the two Yanmar prop curves assume different theoretical props.

However, if you install the same prop on both engines, then in the real world, each engine is now "facing" the same prop curve. That is, identical props, both turning at 2000 RPM, require the same amount of power (and therefore torque) to turn at that speed. One engine just has more surplus power capability at that RPM, and at all other RPMs of course.

Or another way to put it... if the props are the same, then at any given RPM, both engines are putting the same amount of power into the water, and generating the same amount of thrust.

If the props are different, then I'd expect performance differences to be pretty obvious, and you'd have to run each engine at a different RPM to balance the thrust.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 10:02   #35

Thank you all for your reply's it was very helpful and insightful. We chose to pass on the boat due to big areas of delamination we found thankfully before pulling for survey.

Thanks again
Marymoon Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 12:35   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
Engine manufacturer prop power curves are based on a theoretical prop, which just matches the rated HP for each engine at maximum RPM. So the two Yanmar prop curves assume different theoretical props.

However, if you install the same prop on both engines, then in the real world, each engine is now "facing" the same prop curve. That is, identical props, both turning at 2000 RPM, require the same amount of power (and therefore torque) to turn at that speed. One engine just has more surplus power capability at that RPM, and at all other RPMs of course.

Or another way to put it... if the props are the same, then at any given RPM, both engines are putting the same amount of power into the water, and generating the same amount of thrust.

If the props are different, then I'd expect performance differences to be pretty obvious, and you'd have to run each engine at a different RPM to balance the thrust.
Exactly!!!!
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 13:48   #37

Boat: Marine Trader, Walkaround, 50'

JETX and COL50 Nailed it. Everyone should pay attention to the prop curve.
Trawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, size