Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 09:58   #121

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I came upon a real "find" today. This is a site of the never ending voyage. There is english and dutch versions I think.

Never Ending Journey

The guy bought Chris Whites 54' Juniper, and has put some serious miles on it, as well as loosing a mast. The gallery on the right will show you many photos.
It caught my eye when I saw this photo....and I thought, man that looks like a CW 54'. Sure enough it was THE CW 54'
I have a lot of photos of the CW Juniper II by the name of Carissa. It was a beauty also.

sailorsforsailors.com - marina info and cruising stories for all sailors in the world

Is a good site, has dismasting video among others
Jack,

Those beam support on Juniper will make her a very wet boat.
Back in the middle 80's I owned Coco de Mer (ex "Quest") shown below - currently for sale lying in the Dominican Republic - and she has similar beam supports and was a wet boat!!!! due to waves hitting the windward beam amd sending the spary right into the centre cockpit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coco de Mer.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	12571  
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38   #122

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
John Marples audio interview

Somewhat co-incidentally re constant camber and John Marples' and Jim Brown's CC tris figuring on this thread, Joe Farinaccio of the 'Small Trimarans' site just today posted an interesting audio clip of John Marples discussing CC construction. Just great to hear him talking about it, not just to hear the man but because there's loads of stuff in there that never makes it through the editorial process of text/ print descriptions.

Here's the link:
John Marples talks about Constant Camber

Another good one, thanks Joe.
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 20:48   #123

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
So, can I ask how you're going to tackle the structural problem of the crossbeams?
Ah, let me refer you to this post (see points 8-10)

Quote:
She looks very weathered (how long was she just sitting there?), so are there freshwater leaks into the structure?
There are no leaks but there is a bit of UV damage to some parts of the epoxy; about 18 months

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 08:09   #124

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
http://www.proboat-digital.com/proboat/e200912/?pg=42

Dick Newick by Steve Callahan

http://www.ocean-racing.net/

Free digital subscriptions

http://multihull.com.au/site/PDF-Archives.html

Large line up of multi reading

Some good free reading.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 12:09   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
Hmmm, define ultimate? Okay, no, let's not get into that. Here's one I really like, has all the necessary elements and puts them together in a very elegant design. Designer John Patterson, apparently working on another, larger design, 50 something whereas Buddy is 44'.
Steve I found a nice link to a story about cruising in "Buddy". There is also a lot of good reading about the 80's and the racing boats and the guys that enjoyed them here. Looks like a good newletter.

http://www.nemasail.org/pdf/Spring2005.pdf
Old 15-01-2010, 14:12   #126

Hi, Jmolan, thanks for the link - but I found that one already! That was where I first came across Buddy and John Patterson, then googled and found his home page with a little more about his design work. I guess he's another 'quiet' designer whose work seems to be driven by a desire to get the right boat for his own use rather than chasing the money. Yeah, those newsletters have some good stuff. I enjoyed reading the article about Dick Newick in the other links you put up.

I'm feeling a tad sad at the moment, I just missed out on the chance to take on the restoration of a Searunner and a 40 no less. Lady Jolliboy, she's on the old owner's list and is still on the Isle of Wight. I just had no idea her owners were trying to pass her on late last year until recently. She was well built professionally in 1972, a family lived on board for at least 13 years and she seems to have been in fairly regular use for most of her 37 years and in the same family, too. She still looks good, but has suffered freshwater leaks into the deck resulting in some rot, but it seems the hulls are good. She would have been a real-life practical ultimate cruising tri for us, so I'm having a bit of a mope, if you'll excuse me. I suspect she may be the only 40' Searunner in the UK, but I don't know that for sure. I will, however, suggest to the new owner that he makes contact here, I'm sure he'll find helpful advice from those here who have done it all before.
Old 16-01-2010, 15:55   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Jmolan,

The first one "Callisto", an Aldebaran, was designed by Eric Magre.

The second one "Atouva", a Polynesie 45, was designed by Philippe Rivière.

You can check out more details and pictures at
Multi Sailing - Second hand multihulls

Roger
Steve maybe I can find you a video link that will brighten your day. This is the boat that mutihullsailor put me onto. Look just now I do not see it listed, perhaps it sold too! Man this boat just ripps past these other boats. It was shot at the goldenoldies gathering. Oh man I just watched it again, I swear it looks like the 1st boat is Moxie!

Old 17-01-2010, 09:25   #128

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Not really a comfortable ride but ... DAMN!

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 09:59   #129

Chris White recently updated his website. Lots of good pics of Hammerhead and other killer tri's. I did not know that a Hammerhead won the singlehand transpac in 2009 by 12 hours....:-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	751624580_a32qv-M.jpeg
Views:	870
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	12680  
Old 17-01-2010, 10:17   #130

This boat has to qualify as one of my favorite catamaran designs. This is how a house should be on a big cat. (IMHO) This is a modern version of a C/S/K cat in many ways. More pics on the link, they are protected I could not copy them....:-)

Voyager 48 - ChrisWhiteDesigns' Photos- powered by SmugMug
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	surprise1.jpeg
Views:	607
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	12681  
Old 19-01-2010, 02:33   #131

Jmolan, nice video of Atouva, thanks. Impressive, and that first tri does seem to be Moxie. The other pics I've seen of Atouva were interesting, particularly of a beam under construction, would like to know more about how they tackled a difficult shape like that.
Old 01-05-2010, 16:24   #132

Quote:
I have been searching for any photo's of Joey Cabell's cat Hokule'a. No luck so far. It is a pod cat designed by legendary waterman Joe Quigg. It was built in 1975 and was heavy by today's standards, but is still very active. From Joey's story....I mean this guy is a legend among st waterman.

My memories of living there are vivid and intense. Surfing 20-foot tubes at Hanalei Bay. Sailing my 40-foot catamaran out of Hanalei and dropping in on 50-foot walls projecting down the line on the way to Nawiliwili. Swimming the Na Pali Coast in the summer and surfing it in the winter. Diving for lobster to make omelets for breakfast.
The passion is still strong today. Last summer my son, Trevor, my first mate, Ranney Warburton and I sailed the Joe Quigg-designed catamaran – that I built with Joe in 1975 – 1,200 miles to Fanning Island. We surfed open ocean swells at 15- to 20-knots plus, and spent the month of June down there surfing, diving and fishing.

When this guy says 50ft. He not pulling your leg, he knows what a wave is. That for me is the goal by sailing a multihull. The light, up on top, scooting along feeling you can only get in a non ballasted boat....

Merlin Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 16:34   #133

Quote:
Chris White recently updated his website. Lots of good pics of Hammerhead and other killer tri's. I did not know that a Hammerhead won the singlehand transpac in 2009 by 12 hours....:-)
The SHT is held every other year on even # years

So the last one was in 2008 (a new race this year 2010)

In 2008 a Hammerhead 54 (Hecla) was 2nd across the line - approx 16 hrs behind Al Hughes' Open 60 (dogbark)

Hecla was (I'm sure still is) a beautiful boat, BTW
Merlin Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 14:10   #134

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...
Re: Ultimate Trimaran Cruising Boat (IMHO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
NEEL trimarans

This boat was launched in September an also an interesting cruising tri, very fast knowing the history of Eric Bruneel the builder.
And now the 45 version of the Neel 50 is in the water;

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 12:14   #135

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Re: Ultimate Trimaran Cruising Boat (IMHO)

Hi all,
My current boat is a Cross 38. She is somewhat heavy I have managed to take around 500 lbs off her by removing all the doors on the cabinets and replacing them with fiddles, took off all the seventies formica in the cabin, got rid of the mizzen and chopped about 8 feet off the mini keel.
She now tacks better sails closer to the wind when pointing although still not as well as I would like.
The Cross tris are good liveaboards and a sail reasonably well. My passage to Hawaii was 19 days with a couple days of no wind. She is comfortable sailing at around 10 knots on a reach. Not bad for a 40 year old boat .
That said the best tri for me would be a Marples. CC40 or 44. They have the sweetest lines. I built a CC 35 and people would always drop by a say what a sweet looking boat she was. The 40 and larger are better for cruising in that their payload is more in line with what is needed for longterm.
By the way John just won the Woodenboat design for a pocket cruiser contest there is
a write up in the Dec boat mag. about it.
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran