Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2021, 21:40   #1

Unfinished Catamaran

I am interested in building a sailing catamaran over 45 foot preferably, but I thought it might be faster and less hassle to have an already built hull, or looking for an unfinished project.

Based in South East Queensland, would be keen to know if there is a site I haven't been able to find that they are advertised on or is this a good start? Thanks in advance!
Cavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 14:32   #2

Boat: 45f5
Re: Unfinished Catamaran

There is a 50' Simpson in Brisbane that is complete but needs some repair work (rot in core in places). Think it was just north of $100k
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 15:04   #3

thanks Apollo, can you tell me more about it, do you know where I could find it?
Old 27-08-2021, 15:16   #4

Boat: 45f5

Just looked for the add on gumtree and it has been sold. Was for sale for some time.
Apollo19.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 15:52   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavey View Post
I am interested in building a sailing catamaran over 45 foot preferably, but I thought it might be faster and less hassle to have an already built hull, or looking for an unfinished project.

Based in South East Queensland, would be keen to know if there is a site I haven't been able to find that they are advertised on or is this a good start? Thanks in advance!

I am sure you’ve considered this, but just in case you hadn’t...

Half finished projects are unlikely to be a great build quality. Some of the biggest problems with my boat were from the phase when two brothers were fitting her out and they started to run into problems, with the fitout and with each other. It was really clear, as I demolished parts of the boat, where and when things had gone wrong.

You may get lucky and find a great project where something like health or other life circumstances got in the way and stopped the build abruptly (I can think of a case here on CF where the builder developed, I think a heart condition, and I got the impression the work to that point had been very thorough.)

But any job where the builder became overwhelmed, under-financed or lost energy/interest is likely to have serious problems. Some of which may be more work to correct than if you’d just started the build yourself.
Old 28-08-2021, 00:17   #6

Thank you thats very good advice, I am trying to decided whether to buy or build as a bit spooked by some of the issues with some of the known brands. I also only have a 2-3 year timeframe as well and know building can take time.
Old 28-08-2021, 00:56   #7

Quote:
Thank you thats very good advice, I am trying to decided whether to buy or build as a bit spooked by some of the issues with some of the known brands. I also only have a 2-3 year timeframe as well and know building can take time.

Based on the experience of others, that’s a short timeframe.

I managed a rapid bare-hull refit on my 42 foot mono, similar in a way to maybe finishing a project boat, but my refit is extremely basic and I have not yet had the time or opportunity to do the aesthetics.

For my year and a bit I managed to end up with a exceptionally functional boat that looks very, very basic inside.

Perhaps a slightly smaller boat that is ready to go would be a better option?
Old 28-08-2021, 05:02   #8

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Reach out to Chotu on the forum. He had been building his own cat.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 07:13   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I am sure you’ve considered this, but just in case you hadn’t...

Half finished projects are unlikely to be a great build quality. Some of the biggest problems with my boat were from the phase when two brothers were fitting her out and they started to run into problems, with the fitout and with each other. It was really clear, as I demolished parts of the boat, where and when things had gone wrong.

You may get lucky and find a great project where something like health or other life circumstances got in the way and stopped the build abruptly (I can think of a case here on CF where the builder developed, I think a heart condition, and I got the impression the work to that point had been very thorough.)

But any job where the builder became overwhelmed, under-financed or lost energy/interest is likely to have serious problems. Some of which may be more work to correct than if you’d just started the build yourself.

That’s me!

Thank you for the compliments on the build. It was painstakingly built to probably an over-perfection, which was my downfall.

I can’t seem to decide if I should keep the boat and live that life or do an RV and live that life. I have a whole giant thread on here wrestling with that decision.

The thing holding me back is I can never get a boat of them quality I built. Even with 3/4 of a million dollars.

Yes, I was stopped by a heart attack.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2021, 14:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That’s me!

Thank you for the compliments on the build. It was painstakingly built to probably an over-perfection, which was my downfall.

I can’t seem to decide if I should keep the boat and live that life or do an RV and live that life. I have a whole giant thread on here wrestling with that decision.

The thing holding me back is I can never get a boat of them quality I built. Even with 3/4 of a million dollars.

Yes, I was stopped by a heart attack.

I am very sorry to hear of your heart attack but glad to hear you are still here to talk about it.

How long had you spent on the boat and was that a refit or a build?
Old 28-08-2021, 15:42   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I am very sorry to hear of your heart attack but glad to hear you are still here to talk about it.

How long had you spent on the boat and was that a refit or a build?
It was an unknown amount of time and money. Many years and a few hundred thousand dollars.

It’s a build from the ground up. Assisted by one guy who worked at Catalina and another that worked at Hinckley.

Every possible bit of perfection was put into it. It’s 25mm corecell foam and glass/epoxy construction. The whole thing was vacuum resin infused with epoxy.

It’s the same boat design Grit has on here. He got way ahead of me due to a lot of life and heath setbacks I encountered during the build. So he’s out sailing. I’m at the dock with the mast lying near the boat, but still needing some rigging items to get it stepped. I can motor places, but that’s about it right now.

No interior to speak of. Just some temporary stuff inside. Doing the interior was my next bit of work. It has 1500 watts solar, air conditioning, generator.

Had some realizations today and will update my drama thread with them, leaving this thread clean.

But thanks for noticing the care that went into this boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 00:56   #12

I guess my tack was a bit different.
I had a minimal budget and due to a spinal injury 20 years ago and my nomadic lifestyle I could not take a big project.
In early 2020 in Vold Coast, I was stuck on routine of vanlife and needed new project.
I have been thinking about sailing but who wants to take on a walking paraplegic crew member. Forrest Gump maybe[emoji1787]
So I bought the first boat I inspected. A 50 year old 9 metre sailing catamaran which was in my budget after couple weeks of haggling and finding more faults.
So I got it hauled up at Boatworks and found a great shipwright who had reasonable rates.
Now a year and few months later I mainly live on my boat and have had lots of sailing adventures with various crews and single handed between Gold Coast and Bowen.
Slowly I have upgraded the rigging, sails and replaced many parts but I am happy I did not go too big and expensive so I have less stress.
Sailing has given me fresh outlook on life and my balance and fittness has improved a lot as I do all sorts of gymnastics during sailing.
So my advice is to get any boat and get out there[emoji41]Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210817-181403_Lite.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	245912
Stellar1970Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 22:38   #13

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

I suggest a trip to Redland City Marina, Thornlands and talk to Ken the manager. He has a very good handle on the local boating scene and also may be able to advise whom is tiring of the refit of their catamaran in his yard.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 11:34   #14

Boat: 12 meter self built cat

Quote:

i built my 12m cat and covered the construction, step by step. that info may be useful to someone looking for an unfinished project. that is www.buildacat.com and see the BareBones project.

my build revealed some major problems with materials supplied to me. i persevered but lost time and money due to that. would advise the use of a moisture meter, or a professional who has one, to look over a project. duflex panels especially. ply less so but foam is less prone to problems.
tcpbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran