Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 07:58   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Unstayed masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
C2F is 36' long. 24' beam. Extra wide for the length.
The masts are 38' total. ~33' above the deck, 5' inserted into the hull. The sail luff is ~31', foot is ~12' (I think).
The boat was originally designed with a single 56' mast, but the creator/financier of the project, Raphael Francke, didn't like the idea of trailering or stepping that big of a mast. From what I can see, the biplane masts only moved forward 10-12" in front of the forward beam (where the original mast was going to be).
I'm VERY glad they went with the biplane/freestanding setup. It just works!
thanks for the info,just noticed you have the website which i will have a look at
just one more question whilst you are online!
how much does each mast weigh?
and how do you re step them after trailering
many thanks alex
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:02   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sb---i will be in barra for a while this winter after which i think i will head to haulout northward somewhere..we see what happens....
and i am trying to find those sailfest pix i took so i can post em here..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:13   #18

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for the info,just noticed you have the website which i will have a look at just one more question whilst you are online! how much does each mast weigh? and how do you re step them after trailering many thanks alex
Yup, I gotta go to work soon!
Each mast weighs just over 100 lbs. I can lift and maneuver them around all by myself.
The tops are around 3-4" in diameter. The bottoms are around 10". Probably 3/4" thick carbon at the base.
Raphael (very smart fellow) designed some aluminum tabernacles that live inside the hollow masts when up. They stay in the hulls when the masts are down. He also made up a hand cranked lift to lift the mast straight up the 5-6' necessary to access the hinge part of the tabernacle. Lift the mast. Add gin pole and support lines. Rig the main halyard around a turning block hooked to the anchor cleat on the bow and back to the main winch (there is only one winch per hull). Release the locking pin. If I'm solo, I just pull on the topping lift to start the drop and ease the sheet. Simple really. I can do everything by myself!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sb---i will be in barra for a while this winter after which i think i will head to haulout northward somewhere..we see what happens.... and i am trying to find those sailfest pix i took so i can post em here..
That'd be great... However there is no try. Only do or do not!
I want to see those pics!
Old 25-10-2013, 13:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
Also, because the sail plan is divided into two, the masts are shorter creating a much lower center of effort.
I wonder about this. When I compare my own boat to a couple of similar size Schionnings which are having biplane rigs fitted, I'm not so sure.

We have a 16m mast, they will be having two 15m masts. So on the face of it, it certainly looks like a lower centre of sail area.

BUT - we have a fractional rig, and the head of our mainsail is more than a metre below the masthead. Also due to their shape, with the mainsails having so much roach, the centre of the headsail's area is MUCH lower than the centre of a mainsail's.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I wonder about this. When I compare my own boat to a couple of similar size Schionnings which are having biplane rigs fitted, I'm not so sure.

We have a 16m mast, they will be having two 15m masts. So on the face of it, it certainly looks like a lower centre of sail area.

BUT - we have a fractional rig, and the head of our mainsail is more than a metre below the masthead. Also due to their shape, with the mainsails having so much roach, the centre of the headsail's area is MUCH lower than the centre of a mainsail's.
Did you really mean to say "the head of your mainsail is more than a meter below the top of your mast"?
I assume you meant your headsail?
I can't speak for any other boat than mine, but my masts are ~33' off the deck. My boat also has a 24' beam. Look at any other 36' cat and see how tall their stick is and what the beam is. I guarantee that if my boat ever ends up upside down, it will be because we stuff the bows and go ass over tea kettle in big winds/waves. My boat (Cat2Fold) has a very low center of effort along with an extra wide beam making it a very safe family cruiser.
Not to say that yours is not.
Cheers...
Old 25-10-2013, 14:38   #22

Yeah, I meant the headsail. And yeah, 33' masts are very short on a 36 foot boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast